Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Pentax, do we want to be called Ricoh?
No, we don't want to be called Ricoh, we want to stay as Pentax 45594.40%
Yes, we're ok about being renamed to Ricoh 275.60%
Voters: 482. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 06:31 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Seriously, only fifteen of us voted "Yes, we're ok about being renamed to Ricoh"? I would have expected more flexibility from "individualist" Pentaxians....
Haha, you're right. But I also voted No because I would like to see the Pentax name live on. I did buy a Samsung GX-20 two years ago because it was about half the price of the K20D and I own 3 Samsung branded lenses. I also own a very nice Ricoh XR-P and a couple of lenses so the name is not that important to me.
Maybe I voted No because this poll was started like some sort of alert. Like let's do this so maybe someone at Ricoh HQ will read it when they're deciding which name to use.

07-02-2011, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

I cann't vote, there is no box for Ricoh-Pentax. I would like that, appropriate.
If k-mount stays, all is well, it shouldn't dissappear all of a sudden.
Compacts, mirrorless ones, aps-c's, ff's, mf's: all to be named Ricoh-Pentax. Sounds nice, I like it.
A lot is changing and doing so rapidly. Why would it all be negative. Let's express hope with this good sounding name Ricoh-Pentax.
07-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #48
Banned

Seriously, only fifteen of us voted "Yes, we're ok about being renamed to Ricoh"? I would have expected more flexibility from "individualist" Pentaxians....
the name 'Pentax' and all its history is for a lot of people, especially in regards to a 'small' group such as pentaxians are compared to the likes of canon and nikon, a very serious thing. and losing is losing a part of what makes the 'underdog' 'small group, stick together' mentality so great for so many. the name on the front may not mean much when it comes to performance (hell the PENTAX and the K-7, are always covered up by gaffers tape on my bodies) but it means something to personal identity, and in todays world showing your personal identity in as many ways as possible is something that is considered a big deal. even if we are all the same really, the PENTAX represents and speaks to ones personal identity. people generally don't ilk ether identity changed on them without their approval, much less without being able to do anything about it. when you're older it may not mean much, unless you are the type who is interested in history and connecting the past with the present, but for the younger that name does mean something and having it changed is losing something. lets face it, the world we live in isn't just brand conscious, its brand dependent in a lot of ways. its the type of society we live in.
07-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #49
Veteran Member

The whole premise of the poll is flawed to begin with, as it has been pointed out numerous times that the Pentax name is not going away. Consequently, I didn't even bother to vote.

07-02-2011, 07:36 AM   #50
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The whole premise of the poll is flawed to begin with, as it has been pointed out numerous times that the Pentax name is not going away. Consequently, I didn't even bother to vote.
The Minolta name didn't go away but I bet you aren't carrying a copier around in your camera bag.
07-02-2011, 07:49 AM   #51
Banned

Ricoh 645D ?

I don't think so, no way !
07-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
but it means something to personal identity, and in todays world showing your personal identity in as many ways as possible is something that is considered a big deal
I see. Well I'm someone who's been cutting off and scribbling over brand names on my things since school, so I guess that explains my minority standing. I like my Pentax lenses because they're a joy to use and I enjoy the results.

I could see myself using a GXR with a K module and an M module
07-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #53
Banned

I could see myself using a GXR with a K module and an M module
you and I both mate.

07-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #54
Veteran Member

to put it a bit of a different way ..
A "Pentax" Ricoh will probably be more in the line w/ old Pentax than the current "Pentax" Hoya and their bean counting non-innovative ways........
07-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #55
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
A "Pentax" Ricoh will probably be more in the line w/ old Pentax than the current "Pentax" Hoya and their bean counting non-innovative ways........
thats exactly what I am hoping for and looking forward to. I can't understand how some people on this forum give the recent success of the brand (Kx, Kr, K5, 645D, etc) to Hoya, as if they had some real hand in the design and engineering of such great equipment. that was all Pentax and I think even given the success, it was severely limited due exclusively to Hoya and not wanting to really invest in the camera division. hoya was strangling Pentax imaging not helping them. granted they helped by keeping the company from going under in a way, as there was fear before the Pentax buyout that the company was on the verge of financial collapse from such huge loss in market share and brand awareness, etc. but I fail to see how under Hoyas ownership and management, Pentax was really as successful as they could have been. I don't no any better than anyone else how Pentax will do under Ricoh, but I have a feeling it will be far better than it ever was or will have been under Hoya.
07-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #56
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I hope that turns out to be the case.
07-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #57
Site Supporter

I think it will be Ricoh Pentax. Both names on the box with maybe Pentax the brand name and more obvious but the link to Ricoh being there.
07-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Ricoh said they'll rename their digicams as Pentax. Ricoh said they'll expand Pentax camera and lens product line. Are they lying? Stickers on camera body bottoms may say PENTAX DIGITAL CAMERA - Ricoh Corporation. Pentax lenses may get Ricoh added to the nameplate. The boxes may say PENTAX - A Ricoh Company. All this would make it very clear just what camera systems are involved, and who the owners are. Rebranding isn't just superfluous, it would be dumb and counter-productive.

I don't want the camera gear labeled as Ricoh. RICOH doesn't want the camera gear labeled as Ricoh. Rebranding would probably get Ricoh sued by Hoya for diminishing the value of the brand. Rebranding won't happen. Everyone can get over it and go on with whatever we were all doing. What WERE we doing before the news hit? Whatever it was, do it again.
07-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #59
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxMom Felua Quote
I cann't vote, there is no box for Ricoh-Pentax. I would like that, appropriate.
Ditto. I think Ricoh Pentax. Both brands on box.
07-03-2011, 06:51 PM   #60
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ricoh said they'll rename their digicams as Pentax. Ricoh said they'll expand Pentax camera and lens product line. Are they lying? Stickers on camera body bottoms may say PENTAX DIGITAL CAMERA - Ricoh Corporation. Pentax lenses may get Ricoh added to the nameplate. The boxes may say PENTAX - A Ricoh Company. All this would make it very clear just what camera systems are involved, and who the owners are. Rebranding isn't just superfluous, it would be dumb and counter-productive.

I don't want the camera gear labeled as Ricoh. RICOH doesn't want the camera gear labeled as Ricoh. Rebranding would probably get Ricoh sued by Hoya for diminishing the value of the brand. Rebranding won't happen. Everyone can get over it and go on with whatever we were all doing. What WERE we doing before the news hit? Whatever it was, do it again.
The sticker will likely say PENTAX IMAGING — Ricoh Corporation.

Ricoh is purchasing Pentax Imaging. The press release says so.

Re-branding costs a fortune, especially for worldwide companies.