Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I highly doubt the Pentax name will go away in the consumer camera market. Ricoh didn't buy the camera division just to acquire some patents. I guarantee that Ricoh saw an opportunity to capitalize on an existing brand and use it to turn profit, not to dissolve it into non-existence. it would actually be in Ricoh's interest I think to not only keep Pentax and Pentax branded products, but to also aggressively market them and use them to both the advantage of Pentax as a brand and also the Ricoh brand of cameras. I believe that Pentax will remain structurally the same as it is now and continue to put out products just the same, only under the ownership and guidance of Ricoh instead of Hoya. I think we might possibly see some Ricoh Kmount DSLR's in the near future similar to the samsung versions of the recent past, and I think Ricoh will use the patents and ownership of things like the Kmount and SR, etc. to further develop their own current line of digital cameras. I'm not sure of the fate of the 645D but I highly doubt the PENTAX brand will be disappearing to be replaced soley by Ricoh anytime soon, or possibly ever. Ricoh didn't buy the camera division for the same reasons hoya bought out Pentax, and unlike hoya Ricoh has a real interest and the actual camera portion of the Pentax brand. something hoya never did. I'm cautious just like everyone else, but a part of me can't help but to think this may be the saving grace of the Pentax brand. they may have been doing better in recent years vs the past (before the hoya buyout) but because of hoyas goals, business models and interests the Pentax brand at least in regards to the cameras, was slowly dying. under Ricoh I can truly see a reversal of that in a big way. I guess we will just have to wait and see though.
I hope they develop the k-mount and keep the Legacy going, develop a ff body and all that rather than taking the opportunity to kill the k-mount a second time.

07-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I hope they develop the k-mount and keep the Legacy going, develop a ff body and all that rather than taking the opportunity to kill the k-mount a second time.
I have no idea how the idea of a FF body will be looked upon by Ricoh, but I think there is certainly more of a chance than there ever was under Hoya. as for the Kmount, I don't see anything that would lead me to believe that it will disappear anytime soon, unless something happens in the market that makes these type of interchangeable lens digital SLR's an obsolete thing of the past. personally, when I take a serious look at the Ricoh GXR system, I see the beginnings of that... so who knows! but I don't think so. at least not right now. I'm personally leaning away from SLR's in general and have been using rangefinders and compacts. I have considered the Leica D-Lux5 recently but have also really looked heavily at the Ricoh GXR. and when I look at it now, I feel excited for both Pentax and Ricoh.
07-02-2011, 07:33 AM   #18
Site Supporter

The thing with Hoya and Pentax was officially a Merger which is why Hoya is having to create a second corporation to facilitate the transfer. Currently, Pentax Imaging Company is a Division under Hoya. The Name Pentax is technically more than a brand. Folks don't call their Corvette's a Chevrolet. (Although I might. )

Edit: The GXR module thing was something I looked at, but the modules were very expensive making a system price a bit absurd.
07-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #19
Banned

The thing with Hoya and Pentax was officially a Merger which is why Hoya is having to create a second corporation to facilitate the transfer. Currently, Pentax Imaging Company is a Division under Hoya. The Name Pentax is technically more than a brand. Folks don't call their Corvette's a Chevrolet. (Although I might. )

Edit: The GXR module thing was something I looked at, but the modules were very expensive making a system price a bit absurd.
the modules are expensive, no argument. but one must not forget that each module is both a lens and a sensor that is matched to that lens. I think if the system continues, prices will come down some and it may make for a very good system. possibly even the jumping off point for a new camera type taking the lead, the way the SLR took over rangefinders. I'm excited at the possibility that Pentax could be mixed in with that. a GXR could make a great replacement for my DSLR for traveling, and with a Kmount module and a leica M mount module possibly as well, id be set to carry a GXR and my Bessa. Keep a Kseries body in my luggage for more serious work when needed. yes, I would like that very much...

07-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #20
ogl
Pentaxian

your statement is both stupid and so obvious it need not be said. ?
you are too serious...
07-02-2011, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
you are too serious...
no I'm not, I just saw your statement for what it was. and it was stupid, and so obvious it need not be said. your reply to my post was pointless, so utterly pointless and added nothing. I'm sorry of that makes me 'too serious' in your eyes, but I guess id rather be pinned as too serious, than to be the constant pessimist that continuously posts in discussions with completely ridiculous and often unneccesary remarks. meh.
07-02-2011, 03:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the modules are expensive, no argument. but one must not forget that each module is both a lens and a sensor that is matched to that lens. I think if the system continues, prices will come down some and it may make for a very good system. possibly even the jumping off point for a new camera type taking the lead, the way the SLR took over rangefinders. I'm excited at the possibility that Pentax could be mixed in with that. a GXR could make a great replacement for my DSLR for traveling, and with a Kmount module and a leica M mount module possibly as well, id be set to carry a GXR and my Bessa. Keep a Kseries body in my luggage for more serious work when needed. yes, I would like that very much...
Even though the trend in cameras is towards smaller, high quality systems, there is no way that the GXR can be considered as a full replacement for a dSLR. It is more of a complement. This is why I believe that Ricoh will continue to produce K mount dSLRs and lenses. Having both ends of that market sounds like a very good idea to me.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 07-02-2011 at 05:16 PM.
07-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Even though the trend in cameras is towards smaller, high quality systems, there is no way that the GXR can be considered as a full replacement for a dSLR. It is more of a complement. This is why I believe that Ricoh will continue to produce K mount dSLRs and lenses. Having both end of that market sounds like a very good idea to me.

Rob
A k-mount module with aps-c to allow it to use the DA ltd series would be a huge stun to the mirrorless competition.

07-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Even though the trend in cameras is towards smaller, high quality systems, there is no way that the GXR can be considered as a full replacement for a dSLR. It is more of a complement. This is why I believe that Ricoh will continue to produce K mount dSLRs and lenses. Having both ends of that market sounds like a very good idea to me.

Rob
I agree, thats exactly how I look at it, and thats why I am excited for both Pentax and Ricoh.

QuoteQuote:
A k-mount module with aps-c to allow it to use the DA ltd series would be a huge stun to the mirrorless competition.
HUGE. and I for one would be all over that. a GXR with a Kmount module would be the best companion to a DSLR system you could get. besides with the M mount module on the horizon, Ricoh will get a big influx of sales anyway from the leicaphiles, etc. I truly believe all the folks with M mount glass are the ones who are really responsible for the serious popularity of the m4/3 system.
07-03-2011, 06:49 AM   #25
ogl
Pentaxian

no I'm not, I just saw your statement for what it was. and it was stupid, and so obvious it need not be said. your reply to my post was pointless, so utterly pointless and added nothing. I'm sorry of that makes me 'too serious' in your eyes, but I guess id rather be pinned as too serious, than to be the constant pessimist that continuously posts in discussions with completely ridiculous and often unneccesary remarks. meh.
I forgive you
07-03-2011, 06:54 AM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I forgive you
whatever floats your boat mate. I wasn't looking for your forgiveness. I don't need your piece of mind or my own. have a great day!
07-03-2011, 08:07 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I agree, thats exactly how I look at it, and thats why I am excited for both Pentax and Ricoh.
I actually think of this deal as positive for both Pentax and Ricoh. Ricoh is going after the Pentax brand in order to get serious in the consumer camera market, therefore, they are very unlikely to replace the Pentax name any time soon; unlike Sony which literally killed the Konica/Minolta camera brand. Also, Ricoh also had produced k-mount and m42 (not sure) film cameras in the past, therefore the Ricoh-Pentax partnership is probably not new in the consumers mind. Otherwise, why would Ricoh not going after Oly? This is getting more interesting... hoping to see new product roadmap in the near future.
07-03-2011, 08:09 AM   #28
Pentaxian

The thing with Hoya and Pentax was officially a Merger
No, it was a hostile take-over - after which Pentax was absorbed into Hoya's structures. Now I can't help thinking that maybe mr. Watanuki&co knew Hoya was not interested in the IS division, and that was the reason for their reluctance.
Your point is still valid, though.
07-03-2011, 02:04 PM   #29
Banned

Hoya CEO Hiroshi Suzuki (right) with Ricoh president Shiro Kondo during their press conference in Tokyo.

Ricoh to buy Pentax digital brand | Herald Sun

Last edited by jogiba; 07-03-2011 at 02:25 PM.
07-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote

Hoya CEO Hiroshi Suzuki (right) with Ricoh president Shiro Kondo during their press conference in Tokyo.

Ricoh to buy Pentax digital brand | Herald Sun

Twins? Separated at birth, reunited at last?