Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Are we willing to change names, assuming they keep our lens mounts?
If they change the name, I'll become a canikon. 159.43%
I'd prefer the brand to be Pentax, but the lens mounts must continue. 11471.70%
I don't really care as long as the lens mounts continue. 2716.98%
I don't really care about the mounts or name. 31.89%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 06:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Well, my question is: what is the truth??
TRUTH is whatever passes a lie-detector test.

BTW some years ago I entered a liar's contest. I came in dead last. Therefore you can believe everything I say and write.

07-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
TRUTH is whatever passes a lie-detector test.

BTW some years ago I entered a liar's contest. I came in dead last. Therefore you can believe everything I say and write.
OH!

Are you serious? I didn't know that there was such a thing as a liar's contest!
07-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Have they said they would keep k-mount?
Not to my knowledge, but that's not the thread/poll title. Can't believe they would just abandon K-mount, though. That would be colossaly stupid. I know they came up with the GXR, but still.
07-03-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Not to my knowledge, but that's not the thread/poll title. Can't believe they would just abandon K-mount, though. That would be colossaly stupid. I know they came up with the GXR, but still.
Actually, the poll is about the k-mount . . .

and three of the choices specifically says so.

07-03-2011, 08:35 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Well, my question is: what is the truth??
Truth is a three edged sword. Your truth, my truth, and THE truth...
07-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Actually, the poll is about the k-mount . . .

and three of the choices specifically says so.
Nuh uh. The thread title assumes they keep the mount and asks what name we prefer....and only the last choice does not also assume that. The poll, as worded, is about the name. A poll about the mount would be more along the lines of "should they keep it?", or, "if they don't keep it, will you stay?"
07-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Nuh uh. The thread title assumes they keep the mount and asks what name we prefer....and only the last choice does not also assume that. The poll, as worded, is about the name. A poll about the mount would be more along the lines of "should they keep it?", or, "if they don't keep it, will you stay?"
This is exactly why Tennessee is broken up into three regions.

Let an east Tennessean break it down for you.

QuoteQuote:
I'd prefer the brand to be Pentax, but the lens mounts must continue.
This one implies that the Name is negotiable with preference to Pentax but the mount is required.

QuoteQuote:
I don't really care as long as the lens mounts continue.
This one means that the name isn't key, but the mount is.

07-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

This is exactly why Tennessee is broken up into three regions.

Let an east Tennessean break it down for you.

This one implies that the Name is negotiable with preference to Pentax but the mount is required.

This one means that the name isn't key, but the mount is.
I am from east Tennessee. We send the folks with comprehension issues to Florida. What part of this title, Pentaxians, are we willing to be called Ricoh, assuming they continue the K mount?

would lead you to believe that the name isn't the main subject of the question? That's why Fark.com has a label just for Florida. It means "no further explanation needed, because nobody can explain Floridians, anyway."
07-03-2011, 10:12 PM   #24
Site Supporter

I am from east Tennessee. We send the folks with comprehension issues to Florida. What part of this title, Pentaxians, are we willing to be called Ricoh, assuming they continue the K mount?

would lead you to believe that the name isn't the main subject of the question? That's why Fark.com has a label just for Florida. It means "no further explanation needed, because nobody can explain Floridians, anyway."
While it could have been worded differently, the poll is clearly asking about the scenarios including those that require the mount to remain. My point is that the poll is valid.

I have a job down here. I am still Volunteer alumni as well as a Razorback one. Of course I have to hide my face on the campus at Gainesville the way the pwn UT the past few years.

Edit: This goes back to this comment:

QuoteQuote:
This poll is really unnecessary because Ricoh already said in their official statement that they will absolutely keep the Pentax name.
There is more to it than just the name. That was really the point.

Last edited by Blue; 07-03-2011 at 10:21 PM.
07-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #25
Site Supporter

OH!

Are you serious? I didn't know that there was such a thing as a liar's contest!
Sounds like he ran for government office and lost the election.
07-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

While it could have been worded differently, the poll is clearly asking about the scenarios including those that require the mount to remain. My point is that the poll is valid.

I have a job down here. I am still Volunteer alumni as well as a Razorback one. Of course I have to hide my face on the campus at Gainesville the way the pwn UT the past few years.

Edit: This goes back to this comment:

There is more to it than just the name. That was really the point.
My point is that the name is the main point of the question. A poll about the mount should have been worded completely differently,as I have already demonstrated. The question assumes that the name is still up in the air, when Ricoh has already stated that it is not. A person reading the question that didn't know this would be confused by it.

At any rate, we have at least established that east Tennesseans are not likely to be swayed in an argument. Not saying if that's good or bad.
07-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #27
Veteran Member

No, thank you, I don't want camera to be called RICOH. I even don't know how it should be pronounced... Remember Pentax *ist ?
07-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
No, thank you, I don't want camera to be called RICOH. I even don't know how it should be pronounced... Remember Pentax *ist ?
*ist I can handle. However, I am not sure I can pronounce Nikon.
07-04-2011, 06:42 PM   #29
Veteran Member

*ist I can handle. However, I am not sure I can pronounce Nikon.
It's all pretty easy. Ricoh rhymes with Rico, er I mean Freako. *ist rhymes with Starkist. Nikon rhymes with Beacon. Olympus rhymes with Platypus. Samyang rhymes with Poontang. But I'm still trying to figure out Mamiya.
07-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #30
Veteran Member

If the Pentax name is replaced by Ricoh, what will we call ourselves if not Pentaxians - Ricottas?