Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, just a hunch for the Viewfinder of Pentax Q. maybe it is made by Ricoh.
I remember an interview regarding the announcement of Q, The Pentax Rep was asked who made the viewfinder, they prefer no to tell it at that time. (Maybe it's beacuse there is already an ongoing acquisition of Pentax by Ricoh)

07-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentax lives just only as BRAND NAME.

By the way, rather interesting method to "destroy" Pentax:

HOYA splits Pentax into Pentax Medical and Pentax Imaging and then PENTAX Imaging Systems assets transfer into NewCO and NewCO will be sold to Ricoh.
I don't think that you understand what a brand is. A brand is an identifier for a particular company and its products. The company may or may not have anything to do with the actual design and/or manufacture of items sold under its brand. The spectrum runs from companies such as Toyota (which designs and manufactures its own line of products) to Kirkland/Costco (which only markets products designed and manufactured by others.)

It's still too early to know where Pentax will fall on this spectrum, but I suspect that it will be closer to the Toyota end. Will it function as a semi-autonomous subsidiary or will it be fully blended into Ricoh's corporate structure? Ricoh has not yet made this clear. In either case, it is almost certain that there will be a group of workers dedicated to the design and manufacture of products carrying the Pentax brand, meaning that it will be a brand that is more than just a name.

Rob
07-04-2011, 11:21 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I don't think that you understand what a brand is.
I'm fairly certain that is only one of many things ogl doesn't understand, especially in regards to Ricoh's purchase of Pentax Imaging from Hoya.
07-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I'm fairly certain that is only one of many things ogl doesn't understand, especially in regards to Ricoh's purchase of Pentax Imaging from Hoya.
no need for the qualifier at the end of your sentence, you could just end at doesn't understand, though i must admit i've seen a couple of almost positive comments from him in the last day or 2. maybe chicken little is right and the sky is falling :snark:

07-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Good you're posting this in a separate thread Falk! I (and others) posted in two other threads referring to the said Ricoh press release, but these posts got buried too quickly in the many uninformed posts in the topics. Seems most people don't care to find information and prefer running around panicking like a bunch of headless chicken...

Natural mass hysteria probably. It will wear off...

Wim

07-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #51
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentax lives just only as BRAND NAME.

By the way, rather interesting method to "destroy" Pentax:

HOYA splits Pentax into Pentax Medical and Pentax Imaging and then PENTAX Imaging Systems assets transfer into NewCO and NewCO will be sold to Ricoh.
Nothing unusual in that and nothing to suggest any "destruction". Just like Rolls Royce cars have had nothing to do with Rolls Royce plc for a very long time. And Saab cars are no longer anything to do with SAAB, but they still play on the heritage... there are plenty more.

Companies re-focus and spin off divisions all the time. Where there's a well known brand, it's entirely normal to license the brand for continuity in the marketplace.
07-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Is this really the reputation you want to build?? You gave away your K10, you bought your D7000 - and thats fine. At this point, most would wish their peers luck and go off to some Nikon forum. You no longer have any "oar in the water" in things Pentax.

But ever since you've gone around criticizing everything Pentax and proclaiming that the sky is falling again. If D7000 is so great, why aren't you inspired to go out and use it in some constructive manner instead of doing the troll thing.
Some people require constant validation of the choices they make, even if the validating comes mostly from themselves.

Rob

07-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
BTW, a GXR with mount adapter is nothing else but a mirrorless camera with changeable/upgradeable sensor module. Could be an interesting thing to market. If the price is right.
Exactly, if the price is right.

The GXR system has a lot going for it -- I remember voting for it in a poll a while ago.
  1. No dust problems.
  2. Never lose the rear lens cap again.
  3. Option to change lenses much more ruthlessly.
  4. Sensor can be optimised for lens.
  5. Upgrading the sensor doesn't require upgrading the body.
But all that isn't worth much if the price of admission is prohibitive.
07-04-2011, 06:10 PM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Exactly, if the price is right.

The GXR system has a lot going for it -- I remember voting for it in a poll a while ago.
  1. No dust problems.
  2. Never lose the rear lens cap again.
  3. Option to change lenses much more ruthlessly.
  4. Sensor can be optimised for lens.
  5. Upgrading the sensor doesn't require upgrading the body.
But all that isn't worth much if the price of admission is prohibitive.
The current price of the GXR with the macro aps module is $918. That would be reasonable for a k-module that would allow the use of the DA ltd series.
07-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
I love the optimism - as Pentaxian's, you definitely need it :-)

I really do hope that the new relationship bears much fruit.

Having never seen or touched a Ricoh product, especially 35mm/dslr, in 30 years, my optimism isn't at a very high level right now.

Their compacts have even less prominence in the market place than even Oly.

So what expertise are they actually bringing to Pentax dslr??
I get the impression that you haven't touched a Pentax camera (of recent vintage) either.

I really hate when people make global statements based on their local market. People from the United States (where I live) are often under the misconception that whatever is true here is true everywhere else. You are under the same misconception with relationship to South Africa's Pentax market and the rest of the world.
07-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #57
Veteran Member

I had made serious plans to buy K-5 before my trip to India in September. Now I think I'll wait and see what the future brings in the form of full frame or mirrorless.
07-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I had made serious plans to buy K-5 before my trip to India in September. Now I think I'll wait and see what the future brings in the form of full frame or mirrorless.
If you need one, just get one
Firstly, its only a body. If K-mount becomes doomed, a body typically becomes obsolete in a few year as technologies improve, so a new body (whatever brand) needs to be purchased in the future anyway.
Secondly, the sale won't affect anything that is already in the RnD pipeline for the next 1/2yr at least, so certainly don't put your hopes up for a FF, though reliable ppl more in the know have mentioned an APS-C K-mount mirrorless in Aug.
07-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #59

Ricoh buys Pentax digital camera brand : World News Australia on SBS

Here is some more information to throw into the mixing bowl on the sale and future.
All of our conjecture will not make any difference it is in the hands of the men at the top.

Not realising the imminent sale I have been trying to locate a K5 and DA*60-250 at reasonable price in NSW Aust. for the last couple of days and placed an order with two seperate suppliers for a long o/s trip. All I can hope is they will arrive before I depart at the price negotiated.
07-04-2011, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

Why do people assume Ricoh will make a Full Frame DSLR? They don't even make a DSLR. With the Pentax purcahse they now have a medium format, two ASPC's, the Q, and the GXR + assorted other compacts. Adding a Full Frame to that seems like a lot of products to move. I'm certainly not opposed to it, but I would bet money that a K mount GXR module is a far more likely scenario. I just don't see the huge demand for Full Frame cameras but then again I don't really look at market share numbers. How many does Canon sell? I honestly don't know. A friend of mine has one but she doesn't really use it much because it's a really big camera. If I didn't have to buy new lenses I'd probably buy it off her.

I just wonder how big the market is for +$2,000 camera bodies and if Pentax/Ricoh can really sell enough to make them profitable. The 645D strikes me as a different proposition. It would seem to be priced where you can make a profit (however) small off a limited production run. I would think at say $2500 you'd need to sell some cameras. Pentax couldn't even dent Canon or Nikon's market share before. It's going to take more than a few ads on TV to change that. I'm not really sure they make the lenses that Full Frame users want anyway. They have a nice ASPC line up though.

I think Pentax will do better with Ricoh, I just wouldn't bet on them making a Full Frame camera. I'd take a look at what Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic are doing. That seems to be a market with more upside in potential sales as opposed to a mid high end DSLR.