Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I had made serious plans to buy K-5 before my trip to India in September. Now I think I'll wait and see what the future brings in the form of full frame or mirrorless.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Don't set yourself back for this trip and enjoy it with a K-5 in your camerabag. What 2012 will bring we will see then.

Agreed. Ricoh is not going to eliminate the K mount anytime soon. Far more likely, they will be expanding on it. A K-5 will serve you well for many years and will greatly enhance your photographic experience of the trip to India. Without hesitation, I say "Go for it.". If a FF mirrorless camera does come along, it will probably be several years down the road, at which time you can sell the K-5, if you wish.

Rob

07-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I think it depends. If a K-module would have SR, AF and a screw-drive. If not, a K-r would be so much better and cheaper ...

Also, the problem of a K-module of course would be that it wouldn't support small wide angle lenses.

Pentax UK writes: "The PENTAX Q features the newly developed Q mount, with a mount diameter shortened to approximately two-thirds of that of the conventional K mount."

I.e., if the K mount was optimzed for 35mm, then the Q mount was optimized for APS-C ... (1/1.53 = 2/3)

Who knows ... maybe, the Q-mount is meant to become a native mount with attachable Leica M-mount and Pentax K-mount APS-C adapters. So, you attach your DA40 with the K-mount adapter, or a native 12mm Q-mount APS-C lens.
Why would an aps-c k-mount module not support the DA 15mm Ltd and the DA 21mm Ltd?
07-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I'm starting to get hammered by Canikonians that Pentax is now a dead end road....
F**k 'em. Where exactly is the Nikon road leading? More of these? The vaunted D7000 strikes me as a copy of Pentax's K7.
07-05-2011, 10:09 AM - 1 Like   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As no DSLR with native APS-C mount exists, this idea is obvious. However, for a general layout, I would then also have chosen data pin positions, which would not interfere with this chip. Connecting the Pentax-K lineup, a screw drive option may also be missing.

Quick and very dirty:

Attached Images

07-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
F**k 'em. Where exactly is the Nikon road leading? More of these? The vaunted D7000 strikes me as a copy of Pentax's K7.

Funny you should mention that, some twat over on dp review said the k5 was a me too like the 7000 and the 7d from canon, lmao, he was quickly put straight in that those 2 cameras copied the K7 and the K5 was just the evolutionary follow up by Pentax
the response over there is a little mixed but a number of people seem entranced with the idea of a GXR with the M module and a K module and would buy both
I just wish the damn thing was sold in Canada, maybe now it can come in through Pentax who actually have pretty decent distribution (now if they would just get the Advertising/Store support and sales rep support to get back front and center in the shops)

The more this gets discussed the more stoked i get by the idea

cripes even ogl is coming round (Glad to see that)
07-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
As no DSLR with native APS-C mount exists, this idea is obvious. However, for a general layout, I would then also have chosen data pin positions, which would not interfere with this chip. Connecting the Pentax-K lineup, a screw drive option may also be missing. Quick and very dirty:
Nice work there, froeschle.
07-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #82
Veteran Member

My link to the Ricoh release was on page 7 and 18 of the main thread, but whatever.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/150409-ricoh-buy-penta...ml#post1563736

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/150409-ricoh-buy-penta...ml#post1564429

I think it is smart to use the most well known name they have available.
07-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll be very interested to see what sensor Ricoh uses for the M mount module now that they have access to the K5 tech. It will definitely foreshadow any K mount module to come (I would happily buy both if they had that sensor and SR assembly, maybe pick up a Bessa body for film and get rid of almost everything else (keeping the K7 for when an SLR is needed or a 2 body shoot)

07-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
As no DSLR with native APS-C mount exists, this idea is obvious. However, for a general layout, I would then also have chosen data pin positions, which would not interfere with this chip. Connecting the Pentax-K lineup, a screw drive option may also be missing.

Quick and very dirty:
You are right. The contact positions are odd. So, that's most likely not meant to become THE new system mount. Well spotted.

The screw drive however, would be a motor in the adapter, not another pin on the Q mount.
07-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Why would an aps-c k-mount module not support the DA 15mm Ltd and the DA 21mm Ltd?
It would. But a 15 or 21 mm can be made much smaller than the DAs. And you'll need a bulky adapter too.
07-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #86
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Honeywell was just a distributor and never actually owned Asahi Optical. Prior to Heiland Honeywell, the distributor was Sears.

Pentax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1952 Asahi Optical introduced its first camera, the Asahiflex (the first Japanese SLR using 35mm film). The name "Pentax" was actually created from "Pentaprism" and "Contax", this brand became a registered trademark of the East German VEB Zeiss Ikon, which later sold the name "Pentax" to Asahi Optical in 1957. Since then the company has been primarily known for its photographic products. These were imported to the United States from the 1950s until the mid 1970s by Honeywell Corporation and were labeled Honeywell Pentax rather than Asahi Pentax, the name by which they were distributed to the rest of the world. The company was renamed Pentax Corporation in 2002.

Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sears

A lot of Sears cameras were made by Ricoh and use the Pentax K mount. Some are simply rebadged Ricoh models, while others are quite different.
KS-1000 (Ricoh XR-1)
KS-500 (Ricoh XR-500)
KS Auto (Ricoh XR-2S)
KS-1
KS-2 (Ricoh XR-7)
KSX (Ricoh KR-10)
KS Super
KS Super II
07-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter

Hopefully there will be no change but if there is I will insist on Ricohnians (I seem to remember an alien race with that name on Star Trek).
07-05-2011, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #88
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jkobleur Quote
Hopefully there will be no change but if there is I will insist on Ricohnians (I seem to remember an alien race with that name on Star Trek).

Were Ricohnians the species who made copies of themselves so they could be in several places at one time?
07-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #89
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote

Pentax - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1952 Asahi Optical introduced its first camera, the Asahiflex (the first Japanese SLR using 35mm film). The name "Pentax" was actually created from "Pentaprism" and "Contax", this brand became a registered trademark of the East German VEB Zeiss Ikon, which later sold the name "Pentax" to Asahi Optical in 1957. Since then the company has been primarily known for its photographic products. These were imported to the United States from the 1950s until the mid 1970s by Honeywell Corporation and were labeled Honeywell Pentax rather than Asahi Pentax, the name by which they were distributed to the rest of the world. The company was renamed Pentax Corporation in 2002.

Pentax K mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sears

A lot of Sears cameras were made by Ricoh and use the Pentax K mount. Some are simply rebadged Ricoh models, while others are quite different.
KS-1000 (Ricoh XR-1)
KS-500 (Ricoh XR-500)
KS Auto (Ricoh XR-2S)
KS-1
KS-2 (Ricoh XR-7)
KSX (Ricoh KR-10)
KS Super
KS Super II
No where does that state Honeywell owned Asahi Pentax. Pentax were distributed by Heiland Honeywell and Honeywell after that until the K-mount. Pentax parted ways with Honeywell at that time and things got messy between the 2.

QuoteQuote:
Sears, Roebuck & Co. continued selling Asahi cameras for a while, again under their brand name Tower. Then starting from 1959, the Heiland division of Minneapolis Honeywell became the exclusive distributor of Pentax products for USA. Honeywell also sold Asahi Pentax cameras with model designations different from those sold worldwide.
The original Asahi Pentax 'AP' from 1957 was marketed by series as the Tower 26 as was the S.

The K and its matching 55/1.8 'Zebra' was marketed by sears as the Tower 29.

The H2 was the first model marketed in the U.S. by Heiland Honeywell in 1959 and the H1 in '61.

Photos and quote compliments of the Asahi Optical Club

Screwmount

Prior to the 'AP', Sears actually market the Asahiflex models under Tower 22, 23 and 24.

http://www.aohc.it/slr01e.htm

Last edited by Blue; 07-05-2011 at 01:03 PM.
07-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #90
Pentaxian

I think for GXR only two modules would make sence:
- New Q-mount module since this is a small system, and maybe even a 2/3th sensor would be possible.
- K-mount Full Frame sensor module would make sence. It is a new future for K-mount.

- APS-c sensor module wouldn't make sence since it will be still bulky and not adding anything new to the K-mount system.

Just my 2c.