Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think for GXR only two modules would make sence:
- New Q-mount module since this is a small system, and maybe even a 2/3th sensor would be possible.
- K-mount Full Frame sensor module would make sence. It is a new future for K-mount.

- APS-c sensor module wouldn't make sence since it will be still bulky and not adding anything new to the K-mount system.

Just my 2c.
If it were so easy to design a FF sensor for the GXR, I would have expected Ricoh to have done it with their forthcoming M module, but instead, they are going with APS-C. I think people underestimate the technical difficulties and cost of FF cameras.

Rob

07-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #92
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
If it were so easy to design a FF sensor for the GXR, I would have expected Ricoh to have done it with their forthcoming M module, but instead, they are going with APS-C. I think people underestimate the technical difficulties and cost of FF cameras.

Rob
This could be the very main issue!
07-05-2011, 04:30 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
There is absolutely no reason to think they bought the brand just to kill K mount. could it happen down the road, sure but there would have to be a compelling reason to do it and I don't see that currently. A big part of the reason for buying Pentax was to move into the ILC market and grow it. That doesn't sound like they want to Kill K mount, it sounds like they want to add to it with more lens support and bodies if you ask me.
God we have a bunch of pessimists here. At this point i can see nothing but positive benefits for the brand with this change. Hoya really did the bare minimum to keep the brand viable while they looked to get rid of it
I think that too, but right now with nothing official, its free ammo for Canikon ppl to dissuade ppl from buying a Pentax.
The sooner Ricoh comes out with a statement that they WILL keep K-mount the better for everyone.
07-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote

Rob
It's hard to design for an FF sensor when there are none around save proprietary designs from Sony, Canon, and Nikon, and the Sony one is ages old.

07-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #95
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
It's hard to design for an FF sensor when there are none around save proprietary designs from Sony, Canon, and Nikon, and the Sony one is ages old.
Well, there is Kodak.
07-05-2011, 06:28 PM   #96
Inactive Account

Could...could this mean we might actually see some actual...marketing of Pentax now?
07-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Could...could this mean we might actually see some actual...marketing of Pentax now?
I don't recall ever seeing any marketing of Ricoh!

07-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #98
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I think for GXR only two modules would make sence:
- New Q-mount module since this is a small system, and maybe even a 2/3th sensor would be possible.
1. Impossible. 2/3" sensor doesn't exist. Nobody manufacture such sensor for many years.
2. Only 1/2" sensor size could be put into Pentax Q body. Even 1/1.65" is almost problem.
Some men calculated it already.

Last edited by ogl; 07-05-2011 at 11:08 PM.
07-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The Sony one is ages old, but isn't it still the younger one?
07-05-2011, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #100
Veteran Member

It's interesting that wiki has Ricoh as part of the Tokai (Toyota Group) keiretsu, as well as the Fuyo group (?):
Keiretsu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

alongside Toyota, Suzuki etc in the Tokai group, and alongside Canon in the Fuyo group....

It is also notable in the wikipedia for Ricoh that Ricoh do indeed make their own chips, including some used by Sony, so I think their electronics and industrial potential is probably substantially greater than Hoya's ever was.
07-06-2011, 12:57 AM   #101
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It's interesting that wiki has Ricoh as part of the Tokai (Toyota Group) keiretsu[/url]
Fuyo: A Japanese keiretsu that is financed through the Mizuho Bank, and holds the companies of Canon, Hitachi, Marubeni, Matsuya, Nissan, Ricoh, Tobu Railway, and Yamaha.

Full list
Canon (Fuji Bank)
Hitachi (Shunkou), also part of Nissan Group.
JFE Holdings (Asano)
Keihin Kyuko Electric Railway (Fuji Bank)
Marubeni (Odate)
Matsuya (Nedsu)
Meiji Yasuda Life Insurance (Yasuda)
Mizuho Corporate Bank (Yasuda)
Mizuho Trust Bank (Yasuda)
Nissan (Shunkou) - no longer considered part of the keiretsu, part of Nissan Group.
Oki Electric Industry (Yasuda)
Ricoh (Riken)
Sapporo Beer (Nedsu)
Sompo Japan Insurance (Yasuda), also part of Nissan Group.
Tobu Railway (Netsu)
Yamaha (Fuji Bank)

Last edited by ogl; 07-06-2011 at 01:07 AM.
07-06-2011, 01:13 AM   #102
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
I don't recall ever seeing any marketing of Ricoh!
There's a bit, a bit more than Ricoh.

I wonder if this spells the end of CRK's distribution of Pentax in Australia? Weird thing is, Ricoh cameras are distributed by Tasco, yet Ricoh does the distribution for their office equipment.

Wonder if this means we'll see Pentax distributed with Tamron lenses instead of Sigmas ...
07-06-2011, 01:15 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Wonder if this means we'll see Pentax distributed with Tamron lenses instead of Sigmas
Only if Maxwell International get involved... (aust. distributors of Tamron...)
07-06-2011, 01:44 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It is also notable in the wikipedia for Ricoh that Ricoh do indeed make their own chips, including some used by Sony, so I think their electronics and industrial potential is probably substantially greater than Hoya's ever was.
Makes me panic (almost )

Not the "own chip dead end" (Samsung) again ...

So, I am glad to see that Ricoh seems to buy from Sony. E.g., their CX3 is said to use back-illuminated sensors which most likely means Sony.

The Pentax Q uses a Sony sensor too. As was leaked from this strange upside-down PDF document, the Pentax Q toy lenses are made in Thailand and I assume this means made by Ricoh already (they have a corresponding facility at Industrial Park Asia,Industrial Park Thailand,Industrial Estates Asia,Industrial Land Thailand ).

So, the Q could have had a Ricoh sensor but doesn't. Kind of relief
07-06-2011, 01:48 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Fuyo: A Japanese keiretsu that is financed through the Mizuho Bank, and holds the companies of Canon, Hitachi, Marubeni, Matsuya, Nissan, Ricoh, Tobu Railway, and Yamaha.
I'm financed for my house through a bank....but I don't work for them, and my company doesn't either. Did I miss something here?