Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 02:14 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Facts about the Pentax brand name under Ricoh

I found it hard to find any real information about the future of the Pentax brand name in the other thread ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/150409-ricoh-buy-penta...ness-hoya.html
UPDATE: Class A actually already posted the info as post #375: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/150409-ricoh-buy-penta...ml#post1565196 ).

OTOH, some people started polls about if wanting to be called Ricoh ...

So, I looked it up and this is what appears to be fact:

Ricoh will continue to call Pentax PENTAX !

(at least the dSLR part of it) The trick is to search for what Ricoh is saying, not Hoya. It's won't be Hoya's decision from now on.

QuoteQuote:
On completion of the Acquisition, Ricoh will begin to use the PENTAX brand name for some of its digital camera products, and HOYA will continue to use the PENTAX brand name for their endoscopes and other products. Furthermore, with the Acquisition, both companies will cooperate with each other to increase the value of the PENTAX brand.
[Source: Ricoh to acquire HOYA's PENTAX Imaging Systems Business / News Release | Ricoh Global ]
(which is the Ricoh press release)

So and fortunately, Pentax is going to survive (again)

P.S.

I started this thread for easier reference of what will happen to the Pentax brand name. And to collect facts about this topic.

Last edited by falconeye; 07-04-2011 at 03:47 AM.
07-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Falk, appreciate that you have taken the time to point out some facts amongst the flood of speculation
Let's hope this is a positive change for Pentax overall - I'm optimistic.

cheers
07-04-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LOL

I was just about to post this also.
Found it this morning.
Sort of relieved too.
Really didn't seem sensible to scrap a legacy name like Pentax.

Oh well.. I guess all we have left will be the countless FF arguments now.
That is until we get a product roadmap or something along those lines.
At which point, will be followed by more arguing until the next round and "rinse and repeat"

So, I guess it'll be business as usual
07-04-2011, 02:37 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More info

Ricoh actually posted a PDF:

-> http://www.ricoh.com/release/2011/pdf/0701.pdf

Partial quotes from the PDF:
QuoteQuote:
Asahi Optical Co., Ltd., the predecessor of PENTAX, developed Japan’s first single-lens reflex camera in 1952 and has a long history as a leader in the camera market.

PENTAX cameras are well known for their superior performance in taking natural-looking photographs. PENTAX maintains high consumer satisfaction ratings with its superb lens technology and enjoys strong support from a solid fan base.

The PENTAX lineup has a mutually complementary relationship and little overlap with the Ricoh brand, which focuses on high-end compact digital cameras.

Strengthening the digital camera business
␣ Enhanced interchangeable-lens cameras to meet expected future growth
␣ Expansion of product lineup and interchangeable lens portfolio

Possible entry into the image archiving business using medium format digital cameras
Ricoh mentions Asahi, the Pentaxian fan base, and seems to like both K mount and 645D.

And they didn't buy Pentax for the Pentax Q as this particular product would not be complementary with high-end compacts. Therefore, "interchangeable-lens" must mean K-mount (and/or non-compact mirrorless).

And they seem to be prepared to make new products.

07-04-2011, 03:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I couldn't find any real information about the future of the Pentax brand name in the other thread...
I had quoted from the Ricoh press release in the other thread already.

I agree, however, that it is hard to find useful information in that other thread.

At this stage, things are looking very good, but we'll only know what will really happen some time further down the road. Potentially, this could be really good news for future Pentax developments.
07-04-2011, 03:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I just looked at Pentax K5's price on BH and I see it has jumped up $200 I was hoping it'd go down, not up!
07-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
I just looked at Pentax K5's price on BH and I see it has jumped up $200 I was hoping it'd go down, not up!
I thought you are looking at K-7 not K-5?

07-04-2011, 03:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I had quoted from the Ricoh press release in the other thread already.

I agree, however, that it is hard to find useful information in that other thread.
Thanks and I now quote your post in the OP.
I really didn't see it when I first checked for it.
07-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It wouldn't really make sense for them to buy Pentax and then sell cameras under the Ricoh name. At least in North America, most people think copiers when they hear the name Ricoh, not cameras. At least with Pentax, a lot of people have heard the name, even if many have never seen a Pentax camera in person.
07-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleAu Quote
I ordered my K-5 yesterday from Amazon, they were holding steady the past two days but at times would bounce about up $50 US for a bit then drop again.
07-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #11
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Ricoh will continue to call Pentax PENTAX !

Pentax lives just only as BRAND NAME.

By the way, rather interesting method to "destroy" Pentax:

HOYA splits Pentax into Pentax Medical and Pentax Imaging and then PENTAX Imaging Systems assets transfer into NewCO and NewCO will be sold to Ricoh.
07-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Ogl: Just like they have done sence 2008 when hoya bought Pentax, They have only been a brandname sence then.
07-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Ogl: Just like they have done sence 2008 when hoya bought Pentax, They have only been a brandname sence then.
The most notable difference being that they're now the brand name of a company which wishes to expand its photography business...
07-04-2011, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentax lives just only as BRAND NAME.
Wrong.

Ricoh are buying the the manufacturing and design assets not just the name (as, say, Cosina did with Voigtlander) so the only thing that really changes for the photographic division is the ownership. As stated in the documentation we have seen to date, there is continuity of manufacture and design. If I suddenly, (and purely hypothetically!) bought BMW it would not suddenly become 'only a brand name'.

The companies that manufacture Leica cameras and Leica microscopes are totally separate but still both trade under the Leica brand.

Company ownerships change all the time. Welcome to the 21st Century (although this was all happening in the 20th Century and 19th as well...)
07-04-2011, 04:22 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Good you're posting this in a separate thread Falk! I (and others) posted in two other threads referring to the said Ricoh press release, but these posts got buried too quickly in the many uninformed posts in the topics. Seems most people don't care to find information and prefer running around panicking like a bunch of headless chicken...

Natural mass hysteria probably. It will wear off...

Wim