Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
Why do people assume Ricoh will make a Full Frame DSLR? They don't even make a DSLR. With the Pentax purcahse they now have a medium format, two ASPC's, the Q, and the GXR + assorted other compacts. Adding a Full Frame to that seems like a lot of products to move. I'm certainly not opposed to it, but I would bet money that a K mount GXR module is a far more likely scenario. I just don't see the huge demand for Full Frame cameras but then again I don't really look at market share numbers. How many does Canon sell? I honestly don't know. A friend of mine has one but she doesn't really use it much because it's a really big camera. If I didn't have to buy new lenses I'd probably buy it off her.

I just wonder how big the market is for +$2,000 camera bodies and if Pentax/Ricoh can really sell enough to make them profitable. The 645D strikes me as a different proposition. It would seem to be priced where you can make a profit (however) small off a limited production run. I would think at say $2500 you'd need to sell some cameras. Pentax couldn't even dent Canon or Nikon's market share before. It's going to take more than a few ads on TV to change that. I'm not really sure they make the lenses that Full Frame users want anyway. They have a nice ASPC line up though.

I think Pentax will do better with Ricoh, I just wouldn't bet on them making a Full Frame camera. I'd take a look at what Fuji, Olympus and Panasonic are doing. That seems to be a market with more upside in potential sales as opposed to a mid high end DSLR.
I don't think anyone is assuming they will make a ff. With Pentax they have 2 dSLR lines, the k and the 645d. The GXR already exists and they are coming out with M-module. Why not add a k-module to that. As far as full frame lenses, you are kidding right? FA 31/1.8, 43/1.9 and 77/1.8 LTD, FA 50/1.4, D FA 50/2.8 macro D FA 100/2.8 macro they could put the FA 35/2 back into production in short order.

The only new thing discussed would be ff body. They will have to come out with a new to dSLR for the K anyway and probably the K-r. As far as sales go, they Pentax has closed the gap on the 10% dSLR goal since 2008. I don't think being number 1 in mass is as important as sustainability and the best.

07-04-2011, 09:48 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Is a FF module for GXR impossible? What is the biggest sensor the GXR platform could support?
07-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #63
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Is a FF module for GXR impossible? What is the biggest sensor the GXR platform could support?
As for FF module for GXR. I think it could be real, but if Ricoh makes GXRII or GXRIII body for this.
07-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Just read the "hands on" preview about the Ricoh GXR at dpreview.

I liked that the camera was apparently build/designed from photographers for photographers (buttons are in the right place) and that it is highly customisable. Be great if Ricoh set those kinds of parameters for future Pentax developments.

07-05-2011, 12:50 AM - 1 Like   #65
Veteran Member

How about a Pentax DSLR body with an interchangeable sensor package?
07-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #66
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I had made serious plans to buy K-5 before my trip to India in September. Now I think I'll wait and see what the future brings in the form of full frame or mirrorless.
Don't set yourself back for this trip and enjoy it with a K-5 in your camerabag. What 2012 will bring we will see then.
07-05-2011, 02:04 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Just catching up on this story and I haven't read through all the postings on various threads but it's worth noting that Pentax are also big in producing spectacle lenses ( I'm wearing them now). Is this part of the medical division that Hoya have retained and if so will they continue to market lenses under the Pentax name? I really can't see two different companies relying on the same brand name to sell their products. One of them will have to give although Pentax still has an excellent reputation amongst those who can recall that cameras actually existed before digital and the spectacle lens division traded on this to put a trusted name in front of customers. I certainly found it reassuring to see Pentax lenses are being used by the opticians I go to.

07-05-2011, 02:06 AM   #68
Banned

GXR - Full Frame K-mount module!

The openingpost from my thread already 5 months ago:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/131489...nt-module.html

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well not news or rumor at the time, but it can be true in the coming year if we all want to.

Ricoh announces to come with a M-mount module for its GXR modulair system build camera. To fit all Leica M-lenses.

What if we all ask Ricoh to make a Full Frame K-mount module. Would there be an interest for?

I will send an email to Ricoh to watch this thread. Just some input on it from everyone.

Since I'm not expecting Pentax to come up with a Full Frame camera in 2011. Or am I wrong?

The GXR system isn't a fast system, so really just a photographers camera. Not for sports or any fast action. It works with SDHC-cards and has a relativily small buffer to work with.

Then the question of what sensor should be in it. A CMOS would be great, but then again who is providing it. The system is probably to slow for a real moviefunction and the battery is quickly depleted using liveview. Then there is this wonderful full frame sensor, CCD, from Kodak that is also in the Leica M9. Would this be a very nice thing to run on?
  1. Put in the 18 megapixel CCD sensor that alsoo is futured in the Leica M9
  2. The sensor of the Nikon D700 could be possible.
  3. A new CMOS sensor from Sony if it is possible to purchase.

Any thoughts on this?

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
As for FF module for GXR. I think it could be real, but if Ricoh makes GXRII or GXRIII body for this.
I think for such a module a new GXR base-station would be appropiate, since it is a little slow and lacking enough energy to work with it. This GXR-II would also benefit other modules and just be a natural next step for this system.

I also got a call from Ricoh Netherlands servcie centre on the same day. So that is a very responsive bussiness centre!

I think this is possible! I don't know if a SR system can fit into this little module? It wouldn't be a big problem if it doesn't, aldo I would like one. This system is only for the smaller lenses, but if a GXR-II module had a different (advanced) ankering system then bigger lenses could be attached. Running this with the FA-Limited series of lenses would be great!

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 07-05-2011 at 02:13 AM.
07-05-2011, 05:40 AM   #69
Pentaxian

I think I only need one FACT from Ricoh.
I don't care about the naming.
I just need to know if they will keep the K-mount.

Damn.. I try to recommend Pentax to people in the local forums (or at least make its presence known) and I'm starting to get hammered by Canikonians that Pentax is now a dead end road....
07-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I think I only need one FACT from Ricoh.
I don't care about the naming.
I just need to know if they will keep the K-mount.

Damn.. I try to recommend Pentax to people in the local forums (or at least make its presence known) and I'm starting to get hammered by Canikonians that Pentax is now a dead end road....
There is absolutely no reason to think they bought the brand just to kill K mount. could it happen down the road, sure but there would have to be a compelling reason to do it and I don't see that currently. A big part of the reason for buying Pentax was to move into the ILC market and grow it. That doesn't sound like they want to Kill K mount, it sounds like they want to add to it with more lens support and bodies if you ask me.
God we have a bunch of pessimists here. At this point i can see nothing but positive benefits for the brand with this change. Hoya really did the bare minimum to keep the brand viable while they looked to get rid of it
07-05-2011, 06:14 AM   #71
Forum Member

I have no doubt Ricoh will keep the Pentax name in the short term until all their plans get worked out. To me it makes sense to keep the Pentax name in the long term as well, but how many things in the corporate world make sense?
07-05-2011, 06:21 AM   #72
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
If you need one, just get one
Firstly, its only a body. If K-mount becomes doomed, a body typically becomes obsolete in a few year as technologies improve, so a new body (whatever brand) needs to be purchased in the future anyway.
Secondly, the sale won't affect anything that is already in the RnD pipeline for the next 1/2yr at least, so certainly don't put your hopes up for a FF, though reliable ppl more in the know have mentioned an APS-C K-mount mirrorless in Aug.
I would agree. All this talk of a FF is just non-sense IMHO. That is not the target market of Pentax for now. That could change under Ricoh, but how much time are you talking about waiting?
07-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #73
Banned

I am sure Ricoh will not make the mistake like Honeywell in the US.
07-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #74
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I am sure Ricoh will not make the mistake like Honeywell in the US.
Honeywell was just a distributor and never actually owned Asahi Optical. Prior to Heiland Honeywell, the distributor was Sears.
07-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The current price of the GXR with the macro aps module is $918. That would be reasonable for a k-module that would allow the use of the DA ltd series.
I think it depends. If a K-module would have SR, AF and a screw-drive. If not, a K-r would be so much better and cheaper ...

Also, the problem of a K-module of course would be that it wouldn't support small wide angle lenses.

Pentax UK writes: "The PENTAX Q features the newly developed Q mount, with a mount diameter shortened to approximately two-thirds of that of the conventional K mount."

I.e., if the K mount was optimzed for 35mm, then the Q mount was optimized for APS-C ... (1/1.53 = 2/3)

Who knows ... maybe, the Q-mount is meant to become a native mount with attachable Leica M-mount and Pentax K-mount APS-C adapters. So, you attach your DA40 with the K-mount adapter, or a native 12mm Q-mount APS-C lens.

Last edited by falconeye; 07-05-2011 at 08:40 AM.