Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Personally I'd be happy if the Kr replacement arrives and they flow the Kr down to the higher end entry level leaving the K5 and it's successor at the top end. A 3 camera DSLR line is far more competitive in the market and an easier sell when trying to open up distribution
I agree that three models would strengthen the product line, but I'm not sure what you're saying: retain the KR as the entry model? A third model would have to be pretty distinct from both KR and K5 and I'm guessing that the middle model would have to share sensor with one of those two....

07-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Cthulhu returns, devours all humanity, but finds that cameras give him gas.
Correction: Photographers give Cthulhu gas.
07-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Correction: Photographers give Cthulhu gas.
it's just the hot air most of us have escaping
07-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #139
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
based on history the K5 replacement will fall next year in the spring no earlier
the Kr replacement based on history should be this fall
but now that Ricoh is taking over (and the changes in Photo trade show timing and the havoc the earthquake has played with everyone) all that may change
Personally I'd be happy if the Kr re[placement arrives and they flow the Kr down to the higher end entry level leaving the K5 and it's successor at the top end. A 3 camera DSLR line is far more competitive in the market and an easier sell when trying to open up distribution
I didn't say anything about the time line. However, I don't think Ricoh will want to use the Hoya clock and reset it to get things moving. They may use that interval or tweak it after "resetting the clock" but time is money.

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Dammit, Blue. I was just thinking of finally purchasing a K-5!
There are almost certainly things in the works, however, the timing is hard to predict. I do think Ricoh will want to reset that clock.

07-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #140
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I didn't say anything about the time line. However, I don't think Ricoh will want to use the Hoya clock and reset it to get things moving. They may use that interval or tweak it after "resetting the clock" but time is money.

There are almost certainly things in the works, however, the timing is hard to predict. I do think Ricoh will want to reset that clock.
If it's true that they had an autumn release schedule in mind, they've surely wrapping up testing and heading for production by this point? This late in the product's release cycle I think only major things like the tsunami would cause delays, not even the (still pending) sale of the company should interfere.
07-20-2011, 02:39 AM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
This late in the product's release cycle I think only major things like the tsunami would cause delays, not even the (still pending) sale of the company should interfere.
A release can always be postponed.

At the current stage of things (i.e., a K-5 not facing real competition -- the D7000 giving a lesser appeal) they may postpone an upgrade until the competition upgrades too (i.e., D400 etc.).

However, I see a need to pimp the K-r to better compete with D5100 and alike, i.e., a K-r with the 16MP sensor and possibly, an articulating (or even touch sensitive) rear screen. Note that I have no info about such a camera. It is just what would make sense market wise.
07-20-2011, 02:48 AM   #142
Veteran Member

The replacing interval between top cmeras has been 16 months from K10 to K-5. If so, replcement camera should come in January. The 23rd i'd say...

07-20-2011, 02:54 AM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
The replacing interval between top cmeras has been 16 months from K10 to K-5. If so, replcement camera should come in January. The 23rd i'd say...
Indeed. And 12 months from K-m / K2000 to K-x to K-r so entry-level replacement camera should be announced late September.

Provided there is no impact from (i) difficulties in Japan following the tsunami and (ii) the sale to Ricoh.
07-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #144
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
At the current stage of things (i.e., a K-5 not facing real competition -- the D7000 giving a lesser appeal) they may postpone an upgrade until the competition upgrades too (i.e., D400 etc.).

However, I see a need to pimp the K-r to better compete with D5100 and alike, i.e., a K-r with the 16MP sensor and possibly, an articulating (or even touch sensitive) rear screen. Note that I have no info about such a camera. It is just what would make sense market wise.
QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Indeed. And 12 months from K-m / K2000 to K-x to K-r so entry-level replacement camera should be announced late September.
I also expect that a K-r replacement will follow current timeline and an announcement in september with the 16mp sensor would be good.

For K-5 I wonder when there will be a new sensor available. An upgrade for the K-5 to a K-5 Super would be a good intermediate, when the current sensor is being used.
07-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #145
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
For K-5 I wonder when there will be a new sensor available. An upgrade for the K-5 to a K-5 Super would be a good intermediate, when the current sensor is being used.
The rumor mill has it that Sony is close to deliver 24 MP APS-C sensors. It is assumed to go into the D400.

More exciting though are rumors about a new Sony 35MP FF sensor. This will fuel many new FF discussions again
07-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #146
Banned

The rumor mill has it that Sony is close to deliver 24 MP APS-C sensors. It is assumed to go into the D400.

More exciting though are rumors about a new Sony 35MP FF sensor. This will fuel many new FF discussions again
Both would be great, since I'm now used to K-5 performance at high iso and now I'm thinking of that calling crappy image quality pictures.
07-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #147
Veteran Member

I heaard about the 24mp sensor (aqnd thought it made sense for the k5 replacement
35mp FF sensor will not only raise the FF discussion again but also the time to upgrade the 645D sensor to FF MF discussion (or drop the price dramatically which i think is less likely)
07-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #148
Pentaxian

Yes, and i really doubt what advantages that kind of resolution can give in APS-C format particularly, as diffraction will be seen as soon as f/8, and many lenses will be out of the game whatever aperture will be set...
07-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #149
Veteran Member

I feel I need to speak my mind about all this.

From what I read in another thread diffraction is nothing to care about. It will not give less detail than a picture taken with a lower MP sensor at the same resolution. The weakness might be seen at 100%.

Even if nikon would put a much worse sensor in D400 as in the replacement of k-5 it will sell more, if pentax put in a worse sensor it would probably mean the end of buisness. Sony offers IMO the best speced cameras to the best prices. Sony A580 is 7990kr, K-5 is 10000kr+, Nikon d7000 9690kr.

Even if the k-5 sold at the price of the sony it would not compete vs the nikon d7000. And if Pentax want to maybe gain a few new people to the system with the next release it needs to be much higher specd and lower priced to compete with canikon. Sony is a great deal when pentax seems a pretty bad one. I don't understand why the k-5 must keep it's too high price when it's more or less a pimped up k-7, and I think it's very hyped by believing and worshiping pentaxians. If I was to get my first DSLR today it would be a sony or nikon. I don't see the advantage in the k-5 together with the lenses pentax offers, mostly because of the price.

The most common argument to why the k-5 beats the d7000 and is worth the extra money is because of the build. Really, someone who needs a rugged body to use with the weather sealed nikon 1 billion dollar lenses would probably not get the d7000, because nikon offers higher end cameras like d300 and d700 not to mention the d3. K-5 is kind of(f) in the middle in no mans land together with the DA* lenses. If the DA*s was DFA*, there was a pentax ff and the k-5 priced similar to the sony a580 it would be much more competetive imo.

A big problem with the pentax system is that it only got two dslrs and is placed between pro and amature. Not many amatures will invest in a kind of expensive system, and no pro will invest in an inferior system (sdm, no ff). The weakness isn't in the k-5 or k-r, it's in the system.

I've been in the middle with my k-7 for a wile but now I want an ff to use with my m42's, preferably a pentax.
07-21-2011, 02:11 AM   #150
Pentaxian

Thank you fikkser, interesting thoughts.

One can still argue re. diffraction, that it limits the interest of higher resolution, if it has no worse consequences. For optic resolution, i guess it could be identical.

I still would be very interested to see Nikon jump to such high Mpix sensors from the only 12Mpix D300s and D700 have (right, they started changing with the D7000).

I agree totally with you re. system constraints, and handicap due to lack of FF "pro" body in Pentax production.

If not done in the past, anyone to launch on this forum a pentaxian pool :

"Would you buy a K-mount Pentax full-frame sensor DSLR, or EVIL ?"