Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
07-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #256
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Any thoughts about a K-mount video camera? Is this a road to go or is that field taken by other company's?
Last week looked at a video camera a Panasonic that used the mirco 4/3 mount and sensor. It was about 4 grand but looked like a very nice unit. Definitely not a consumer model but those usually follow to a certain degree.The Panasonic was not the most expensive one either. There were also special cine lenses for it I think, not sure as we were looking at about 5 different models of camcorders, all above the 2 grand price.

07-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #257
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966:
Any thoughts about a K-mount video camera? Is this a road to go or is that field taken by other company's?
Last week looked at a video camera a Panasonic that used the mirco 4/3 mount and sensor. It was about 4 grand but looked like a very nice unit. Definitely not a consumer model but those usually follow to a certain degree.The Panasonic was not the most expensive one either.
Since we're all over the place here with news, rumours, speculation, factoids, and formats, how about this: I've speculated on GXR modules-mountors for 3D/holo and specialized spectral work, and a GXR2 body for FF/MF modules. Why not a GXRV body for video modules? Give Red a run for its money...

Why not? What is the current market for vidcams? How are sales levels? Are cam.phones and video-capable dSLRs devouring that market?
07-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #258
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
it's just the hot air most of us have escaping
Hi folks, this is my 1st post here.

I recently bought back into Pentax after selling all my lovely gear almost 30 years ago. I was shocked to find, a week after I bought my K-5 (the reason I bought Pentax), that Pentax was up for sale. My initial reaction was dismay and regret that I didn't buy a Canon or Nikon, but I've splashed out and bought a few lenses and am praying that the god of G.A.S. (Gear Aquisition Syndrome) doesn't let me down. Hopefully the people at Ricoh will develop the platform to where it should be after all this time.
07-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #259
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's already passed through the hands of Hoya in recent times and it's survived just fine.
The K-mount is still going strong.

07-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #260
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Can't really blame Pentax for the companies importing, distributing and selling them tho, especially if they're biased towards Canikon. I do understand and empathize with your frustration, though. $1600 is just insane.
True, but many here truly hope that Ricoh (which is very well represented with their own offices) will make major changes in the entire import, distribution and sales systems.
07-30-2011, 05:22 AM   #261
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anton Magus Quote
True, but many here truly hope that Ricoh (which is very well represented with their own offices) will make major changes in the entire import, distribution and sales systems.
I think that holds true for every market outside Japan. Can't buy a GXR in Canada, and Pentax has relatively little presence in stores and advertisement in the country. I'm curious as to how well the B2B network that Ricoh has will carry over to B2C space.

@Bossa, welcome to PentaxForums.
07-30-2011, 05:34 AM   #262
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Last week looked at a video camera a Panasonic that used the mirco 4/3 mount and sensor. It was about 4 grand but looked like a very nice unit. Definitely not a consumer model but those usually follow to a certain degree.The Panasonic was not the most expensive one either. There were also special cine lenses for it I think, not sure as we were looking at about 5 different models of camcorders, all above the 2 grand price.
You don't need a camcorder to shoot great video , just get the Panasonic GH2 that has a 1.53mp EVF and full manual control in video mode.

07-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #263
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote

I recently bought back into Pentax after selling all my lovely gear almost 30 years ago. I was shocked to find, a week after I bought my K-5 (the reason I bought Pentax), that Pentax was up for sale. My initial reaction was dismay and regret that I didn't buy a Canon or Nikon, but I've splashed out and bought a few lenses and am praying that the god of G.A.S. (Gear Aquisition Syndrome) doesn't let me down. Hopefully the people at Ricoh will develop the platform to where it should be after all this time.
Welcome. I just bought today a brand new DA* 200mm/f2.8 lens and really that is the way for Pentax to go into the future. Having customers that use and buy products.
07-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #264
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Not to worry. You now own the finest APS-C camera on the market, which will serve you well regardless of who owns Pentax Imaging. Top quality lenses will probably last longer than you will. I am actually quite optimistic that Ricoh will continue to develop K mount dSLRs and lenses. Why else would they have bought Pentax, if not to get into the dSLR market? From what I have seen of the GXR and the GDR, Ricoh knows how to build innovative, high quality cameras that appeal to enthusiasts. I cannot say that their sales in North America and Europe have been very impressive, but perhaps that will change with the acquisition of Pentax.

Rob
07-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #265
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I am not so sure about the 'Legacy' market being better for Sony than Pentax given the fact that the Maxxum mount orphaned all the MD/MC lenses.
Except the Maxxum line did very well for Minolta afterwards. Yes, they lost share, but not enough to bump them down below a solid #3.

I still have 8 MD lenses.
07-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #266
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Except the Maxxum line did very well for Minolta afterwards. Yes, they lost share, but not enough to bump them down below a solid #3.
You certainly see older Minolta and KM alpha glass on Sony cameras in Japan, at least.

sheepishly: I just bought another this week.
07-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #267
Site Supporter

Sure it did, but it orphaned the MD lenses. Plus, the K-mount Pentax lenses go back to 1975 and the m42 lenses 1957. Plus, Minolta took a pretty substantial hit on that lawsuit over af from Honeywell. I think the patents were b.s. but Honeywell got away with one. They payed out enough in the early 90s to buy Pentax at the current selling price. I was just questioning their being more Minolta 'Legacy' glass options options for use on Sony than Pentax on Pentax.
07-30-2011, 08:50 PM - 1 Like   #268
Veteran Member

I find myself not sweating the fact the Pentax brand'll be in Ricoh's hands: things seemed a lot more uncertain under Hoya, which was more interested in other branches of Pentax than the camera market, it seems. Ricoh's shown interest in making high quality cameras, and bought Pentax's camera branch cause they *wanted* it. Hoya actually didn't do too bad, but that seemed a much more nervous situation for us than the present one.
08-08-2011, 12:53 AM   #269
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I find myself not sweating the fact the Pentax brand'll be in Ricoh's hands: things seemed a lot more uncertain under Hoya, which was more interested in other branches of Pentax than the camera market, it seems. Ricoh's shown interest in making high quality cameras, and bought Pentax's camera branch cause they *wanted* it. Hoya actually didn't do too bad, but that seemed a much more nervous situation for us than the present one.
I agree. I've owned quite a few Pentax's over the years, but the K-5 is far and away my favorite ever. (I am quite smitten, actually the K-5 might be my all time favorite camera ever...)

If the K-5 came from Pentax under Hoya, then I very much look forward to what they can do now.
08-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #270
Inactive Account

Looking at a marketing point of view. If i were the head of Ricoh. I would be looking at slowely distancing my self from Pentax. The name now is just a name. And with better marketing and better camera technology. And only two cameras to choose from. When I had a real winner i would market it as Ricoh-Pentax. And in a few years drop Pentax. As Ricoh would be associated with exceptional cameras. I hope anyway. And with a new name with a first class product it could really market on quality without any one looking back at the problems with Pentax. Personally if handled right. It could be a breath of fresh air for Pentax people. But then again I bought stock in the dot com stock.. And that tanked also.. LOL