Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Back when the earth had barely cooled, Rollei, Yashica and I think Topcon made twin lens reflexes for 127 film. Kowa made the Komaflex S, a leaf shutter single lens reflex in this format; I have one. The 4x4 cm format yielded a "superslide" which would project in the average slide projector, to wonderful effect. And of course the negatives could be enlarged in most enlargers with merely a change in carrier; the usual lens for 35mm would usually cover the 4 x 4 negative, at least in my experience. It was a wonderful way to move up in format size at minimal expense.

Consumer Reports tested the Rollei effort (I'm not sure whether they tested the others) and savaged it. Photo magazines liked it, as did buyers. My Komaflex pleased me. Sales of the Rollei 4 x 4 tanked, apparently in large measure to CR's review.

The moral to this story? As DogLover said, take all reviews but especially CR's with a LARGE grain of salt. With a camera there are many factors beyond CR's graphical representation which come to bear, and CR's reviews ignore too much and attempt to condense judgement calls into red and black circles, or per centage points on a graph.

07-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #47
Site Supporter

I have not subscribed to Consumers Report since the K20D review. When they did the K10D review they had the wrong specs for the camera. I emailed the editor and received a call from the article writer within two days. Why a quick response? I told the editor that the tester or writer did not even do proper research. I will not mention the writer's name who called me, but he said he published the specs that were given him from Pentax. (Sure!) when the k20D review came out the specs given were for the K10D right down to the megapixels. I cancelled my subscription.
07-09-2011, 11:18 PM   #48
Pentaxian

CR loved k-x though.
07-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #49

CR is useless for cameras and cars

I have been a car nut for 50 yrs and many, many years ago, I and every one of my car nut friends, quit paying any attention to Consumer Reports automobile analysis, because, quite simply, it was unbelievably incompetent.

The same is true of their camera reviews. I remember a few years ago when they rated the number 1 point and shoot super zoom (a Panasonic if I recall, rated number 1 by every professional camera reviewer's rating at the time) as last place in their review. The specs were wrong, the testing wrong, everything was useless. It was simply ludicrous.

My suggestion, at least for cars or cameras, is to look at professional reviews done by magazines that specialize in them and then go test drive the ones that appeal to you and make up your own mind. But just completely ignore CR reviews.

07-14-2011, 08:36 PM   #50
Pentaxian

About 1992, they gave a rave review to the Toyota Corolla and panned the Geo Prizm.

Same car, made by the same company (NUMMI, remember?) in the same plant in California.

I gave up at that point although my daughter is still dependent. I'm working on that ....
07-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #51
Veteran Member

"" Originally posted by atupdate
You don't trust their reviews on cameras but you do with automobiles?
Tim""

I have had over 50 years in the automobile business with two manufacturers, one German and one Asian. In subscribing for a time to CR and reading it frequently, I have noticed more than a few glaring errors and omissions. Like all these things, no one is infallable and the 'testers' and writers are full of preconcieved notions, biases and opinions out of the gate. Reviews can be informative but if it is a major purchase decision is to be made, I would be sure to do much more homework than just CR. That would also apply to any reviewer as well.
07-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #52

CR not meant for PF people

CR is the other end of the extreme. CR reviews are targeted at those who are not passionate about what's being reviewed but rather consider whatever it is as a commodity so cars, cameras, home theatre, washing machines, refrigerators, and floor lamps all have the same level of appeal. A good example would be my ex-wife. She could hear the difference between a $30 table radio and my stereo system (Crown, Thorens, Infinity, Nakamichi, and Marantz) but she didn't care as she found either completely acceptable to listen to and had no preference. She is the CR target audience. I remember CR loved Bose speakers and Technics turntables but panned Thorens turntables and cared not for Klipsch or Infinity at the time.

At the same time, too many magazines and websites are at the other end of the extreme. As an example, when I started researching new speakers I found review after review of high end Thiel and Mordaunt Short and such which is both interesting and nice as a reference... but useless to me at the time. While I love home theatre I cannot justify a $12,000 - $28,000 speaker system. Boring as it is I need to know what's good at much lower price levels. I ended up buying a Definitive Technology speaker system but had to spend time finding real info on them because they were a lowly $800 system.

Personally, I think it would be nice to find a source that sits between these extremes. More thorough, more accurate, and more targeted than CR is but not at the enthusiast level where only the high end is acceptable. While I am currently unemployed, even when I was working and making good money I could not afford nor justify a K-5 or a D-3s or such which is why I have a K100D Super and a D40.

CR has its uses, just not for those who are passionate about whatever is being reviewed...
07-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
C.R. isn't very good. Better bet...look at user reviews on amazon.

07-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I call them "Consumer Retards." They offer more opinion and fluff than unbiased informative data, which is what they tout their BS as. Their auto "ratings" are something I once put a great deal of stock in, until I became a subscriber and filled out their "surveys" myself. Their auto repair "ratings" are useless garbage, as they amount to little more than an opinion poll. What is a "serious issue" to one responder may well be "routine maintenance" to another, so the result is completely useless.

As for [I]camera reviews?! Might as well use their camera reviews as something to wipe your keister with, not that I've ever (or WOULD ever) read one - or would bother to.
07-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 24X36NOW Quote
As for [I]camera reviews?! Might as well use their camera reviews as something to wipe your keister with, not that I've ever (or WOULD ever) read one - or would bother to.
That would be rather harsh. On your keister, I mean. That clay-coated 'paper' is nasty...
07-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That would be rather harsh. On your keister, I mean. That clay-coated 'paper' is nasty...
07-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #57
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
JVC

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Good. I won't buy JVC products, nor Dell, due to horrific experiences with customer service. JVC totally screwed up simple maintenance/repair of a camcorder... A JVC-owned Pentax would certainly drive me away from the brand.
I also swore off JVC products after a miserable response from customer service on a warranty repair of a DVD/VCR unit. I would NOT buy a camera from them.
08-12-2011, 10:59 PM   #58
Veteran Member

CR's has been a poor judge of cameras for decades. Many years ago I was working in a repair shop and a poorly designed and made camera kept coming in for repair. I asked a sales person why people bought that junk and he told me it had been a CR recommended camera. They downgraded the Pentax KX film camera because it's tripod socket was "held in by only one small screw" when there were two other big screws under the bottom cover holding it in place. You can see that I have not been a fan of CR camera reviews for a long time. Sadly, many people use only CR to make their decisions. They did, however, rate the Pentax Super Program camera to be the best....after it was discontinued!
08-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Back in the day my parents based a few purchases off of CR ratings.

Absolutely everything they bought that was rated high in CR ended up breaking pretty quickly or was horrible even when brand new.

CR is a joke.
08-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cyclone3d Quote
Back in the day my parents based a few purchases off of CR ratings.

Absolutely everything they bought that was rated high in CR ended up breaking pretty quickly or was horrible even when brand new.

CR is a joke.
Absolutely everything? Sure, dude.