Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2011, 07:11 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 dissed by Consumer Reports...

..just received my latest Consumer Reports..... their review of a range of digital cameras, from p+s to dslr(s).....
although i take these reviews with more than a grain of salt.... was not happy to see the K-5 way down on the list..... i'm glad that i don't make my dslr choices based upon their (imho, cursory) review(s)......
the vast majority of the dslr reviews were with supplied kit lenses.... 18-55's were the mainstay..... yeah, like i'd review the K-5 with the we 18-55.. NOT !!!
i'll stick with consumer reports when deciding on what laundry detergent to use or analyzing potential auto purchases... at least they don't take advert dollars to bias their reviews......
dave m

07-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone still read Consumer Reports? I certainly wouldn't trust their analysis of SLRs.
07-06-2011, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
i'll stick with consumer reports when deciding on what laundry detergent to use or analyzing potential auto purchases... at least they don't take advert dollars to bias their reviews...
You don't trust their reviews on cameras but you do with automobiles?

Tim
07-06-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder who tests DSLRs at Consumer Reports

07-06-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Say what you will, but Consumer Reports still wields enormous influence in the minds of consumers on all products great and small....
07-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax stuff has huge amoun of QC issues, so it's not amazing at all it was put down. The 13% sales drop is consequence of this.
07-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll have to read their review now...however, it's been my experience that CR does a reasonable job for things that don't change anywhere near as fast as electronics (and have long user histories) much less, digital cameras. I've seen that with their reviews of P&S cameras where they are typically two model cycles behind etc. I think we are not the target audience for CR on digital cameras and get our reviews, no, we expect our reviews early and often but by our set of trusted (or distrusted) sources.

CR does a good job but photography is not their expertise, IMHO.

07-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Banned

Well maybe it is time to put that lens into retirement to avoid such things. I think a 16-45mm/f4 WR would be a nice new kitlens for such a camera.
07-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
You don't trust their reviews on cameras but you do with automobiles?

Tim
i've been a big fan of cr concerning auto reviews for decades... their testing (unlike with dslrs) is exhaustive (no pun intended) in a pragmatic consumer oriented manner... sure, they don't post skid pad performance like motor trend and other autophile technical stats, but that's not their aim... safety, ergonomics, quality and mainstream performance are..... additionally, their historic reader furnished survey results are a benchmark in the industry for assessing overall quality....
so, like any other review based periodical, cr has it pluses and minuses... dave m
07-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

So.....

..just received my latest Consumer Reports..... their review of a range of digital cameras, from p+s to dslr(s).....
although i take these reviews with more than a grain of salt.... was not happy to see the K-5 way down on the list..... i'm glad that i don't make my dslr choices based upon their (imho, cursory) review(s)......
the vast majority of the dslr reviews were with supplied kit lenses.... 18-55's were the mainstay..... yeah, like i'd review the K-5 with the we 18-55.. NOT !!!
i'll stick with consumer reports when deciding on what laundry detergent to use or analyzing potential auto purchases... at least they don't take advert dollars to bias their reviews......
dave m
what didn't they like about it? Link?

Cheers,
Cameron
07-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
dave m
How can any single organization have expertise in evaluating everything from toothpaste to toilet tissue to lawnmowers to DVRs? I think that you have your answer when the enthusiast sites rate a product much differently than the so-called impartial experts. I have largely ignored Consumer Reports for years. When I want information on a particular product category, I trust the opinions of people who think about it all the time, including intelligent, thoughtful users.

Rob
07-06-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
what didn't they like about it? Link?

Cheers,
Cameron
that's the problem with their reviews... nothing specifically stated... (i'm going to scan that page and post later).... but the 'circle' for image quality was just average... always wondered about the ability of their 'testers'... i.e., their technical photographic acumen... fwiw... if i'm going to buy a digital camera, i have never used cr for decision making... there are so many internet reviews for such decisions... regards, dave m
07-06-2011, 08:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Say what you will, but Consumer Reports still wields enormous influence in the minds of consumers on all products great and small....
Good, Bad or Indifferent, that is certainly true.
07-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well maybe it is time to put that lens into retirement to avoid such things. I think a 16-45mm/f4 WR would be a nice new kitlens for such a camera.
I have to agree Ron, the 18-55 makes no sense as a kit on the K5 (or the K7 for that matter)
the 16-45 in a WR skin or the 18-135WR that already exists both make more sense (the 16-45 though would be the ideal kit)
07-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Many moons ago I managed a consumer electronics store. Camcorders were, of course, a mainstay of our business. This was when VHS was still king (but after the 2-piece units) and 8mm was beginning to make some inroads. There were only a handful of manufacturers, but three or four times that many brand names. I remember CR coming out with reviews of a Panasonic model and another brand that escapes me at the moment. They loved the Panasonic and buried the other. Thing is, of course, they were exactly the same unit. Panasonic (Matsushita) had made them both, and, in this case, the other brand hadn't even bothered to change any of the button locations, functions, or anything. It was literally just a re-badged Panasonic. That was an eye-opening moment for all of us in the store. Luckily for us, the Panasonic had a higher price (and higher margin), so we used that review to sell the crap out of 'em, even though we knew you could buy the same unit for less. Sorry if that offends some people, but that is reality when you have salespeople trying to make a living. Besides, we weren't steering them to buy an inferior product, and they were happy to pay the premium to get one that CR had recommended.

The moral of the story is to take ALL reviews with a grain of salt. Not saying that there aren't some good ones, but don't take any one of them as gospel.