ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax USA to move headquarters?

07-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I wonder if those 10 000 people came from Ricoh's photographic manufacturing to be replaced by Pentax's Vietnam plant?
That is a very good question. I haven't seen anything in the articles that clearly said. They seem to imply it was copier related. However, they did say that the 10,000 jobs would be phased out over 3 years. That means in theory that some of the current Pentax people could be among those 10,000 but just how many only time will tell.
07-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
[..] Hoya-Pentax merger which amounted to a hostile take over. [...]
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
What is a Hostile Takeover?
07-09-2011, 12:18 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
What is a Hostile Takeover?

Actually, that is the first time I used it in regards to the Hoya-Pentax merger. I know exactly what it means. Pentax would rather have stayed independent. The merger was just short of an all out hostile takeover.

Back in 2006 and 2007:

http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/pentax-agrees-to-864-million-takeover-offer-by-hoya,4517.html

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Corp., Tokyo, Japan, agreed to a takeover offer by worth up to about ¥105 billion (US$864 million) by rival Hoya Corp. on Thursday, a move that underlines the growing influence of shareholders, says The Associated Press.

Hoya is offering ¥770 (US$6.34) a share for the Pentax shares, and plans to start the tender offer to shareholders in early June, with the goal of making Pentax a wholly owned unit, both sides said. Details, including the deadline for the offer, will be announced later, the companies said in a joint statement.

Pentax management had resisted a stock-swap offer last year from Hoya, a Tokyo-based optics and glass maker, which had coveted Pentax's medical equipment expertise, says the AP.

The companies originally agreed to merge in December 2006, but Pentax scrapped the plan in April. Under pressure from shareholders, Pentax released a mid-term business plan, but that failed to convince investors and analysts, and the latest announcement ends more than a month of wrangling.

Hoya President and Chief Executive Hiroshi Suzuki said the tender offer is Hoya's biggest acquisition ever. Suzuki said he plans to make Pentax a wholly-owned unit by November, and will maintain Pentax's camera operations. The tender offer will be a friendly one, but a hostile takeover had been a possibility had the two companies failed to agree, he continued.

The offer comes amid increasingly tough competition as more traditional camera makers, including Pentax and Nikon Corp., are struggling against electronics companies such as Sony Corp. and Samsung Electronics Co. to gain the lead in digital cameras, says the AP.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e1f18854-01b6-11dc-8b8c-000b5df10621.html#axzz1RdbQGrt0

http://pentaxworld.com/forum/news-announcement/stopped-pentax-hoya-merge/?wap2

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=16734.15;wap2

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=16734

Last edited by Blue; 07-09-2011 at 01:46 PM.
07-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not for 10,000 people. You just contradicted your self. You just explained how pdf changed business for copiers dramatically and the said it was business as usually.:Popcorn:
It is biz as usual.

If one product line is faltering due to a paradigm shift you shift your biz from copiers to cameras. It's the constant process of capital recycling.
07-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
It is biz as usual.

If one product line is faltering due to a paradigm shift you shift your biz from copiers to cameras. It's the constant process of capital recycling.
If they were laying 10,000 people off every year or in this case every 3 years, then it would be business as usual. There is no way in hell a company can ever hope to be stable if this is usual for the company. Its about long term sustainability and planing to avoid situations like this. Companies do sometimes cease to exist.
07-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #22

Actually, that is the first time I used it in regards to the Hoya-Pentax merger. I know exactly what it means. Pentax would rather have stayed independent. The merger was just short of an all out hostile takeover.
Well I'm quite sure someone was repeatedly calling it hostile. I am lousy at names, so I may have confused you with someone else.
Ok, so it was not exactly friendly, but neither it was that hostile. At least we can agree, it was a takeover .

07-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
Well I'm quite sure someone was repeatedly calling it hostile. I am lousy at names, so I may have confused you with someone else.
Ok, so it was not exactly friendly, but neither it was that hostile. At least we can agree, it was a takeover .
The point I meant in the post you questioned is that Pentax had little choice at the time of the merger because had the declined the offer, a hostile take over was likely and Hoya made it clear they intended to try. I have always referred to it as a merger, but for the context of this thread and Ricoh's layoffs, I thought it would be good to put things into context when Ricoh takes over Oct 1.
08-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is an actual bit of real news here! More to the article, but it's chamber of commerce stuff and old info on the Ricoh sale.

QuoteQuote:
Camera and optics firm Pentax Imaging Co. will bring about 40 employees to downtown Denver this fall as it relocates its national headquarters from Golden.

Pentax said it will lease space on the 26th floor in Tower One of Colorado Plaza Towers at 633 17th St. The move is scheduled for Oct. 1.

Company officials said downtown's central location was the primary factor in deciding to move from Golden, where Pentax has resided since 2003 after consolidating two divisions in southeast and north metro Denver.

"We are excited to be a part of the vibrant, growing Denver metropolitan hub, which will mean more exposure for Pentax and a culturally exciting environment for our employees," said Ned Bunnell, president of Pentax Imaging.

Bunnell said the company will consider leasing retail space at the downtown complex.

Read more: Pentax Imaging to move headquarters to downtown Denver in October - The Denver Post Pentax Imaging to move headquarters to downtown Denver in October - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post
08-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #25
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Bunnell said the company will consider leasing retail space at the downtown complex.
It took them a long time to think of that one.
08-06-2011, 11:52 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is common for camera manufacturers to have only one location to ship from for the entire United States. Nikon, for example, only ships from one location. Pentax was in Denver before they were in Golden. I was once told that the Denver location was to save shipping costs by having a more centrally located headquarters. Anyway, does this mean that Pentax will actually have a real service center of their own again? CRIS does a great job but...
09-12-2011, 12:49 AM   #27

From 1977 to 2003, Pentax's USA headquarters was in Inverness Park in Englewood, Colorado, south of Denver. They had about 150 people in their two-story office with attached national distribution center/warehouse and in-house customer service center*:
35 Inverness Drive East, Englewood, Colorado - Google Maps
From 2003 until October 1, 2011, their USA headquarters is in the Clear Creek Square building in Golden, Colorado, west of Denver. They only occupy the third floor, and had perhaps 60-70 people there in 2003:
Pentax Golden Co - Google Maps
Pentax USA HQ - Golden, CO | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Per the recent news articles, they're moving by October 1, 2011 to a smaller office (about 40 people) on the 26th floor of Colorado Plaza Towers at:
633 17th Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
633 17th Street, Denver - SkyscraperPage.com
I don't think they will have a walk-in service center there. More information about their post-move facilities and operations is posted at:
PENTAX DSLRs: Pentax moves to Downtown Denver, Colorado. Everything is looking good.
*Pentax's total USA sales (mostly film cameras, but also including sport optics, surveying, etc.) peaked in the late, pre-digital-camera 1990's at nearly $200 million. Considering that Pentax's worldwide camera business has now been sold to Ricoh for about $120 million, we have some idea of how competitive the digital camera market has become.