Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax moving to Denver?

Source: Pentax Imaging Systems moving to downtown Denver - The Denver Post

Pentax Imaging Systems is moving this summer from historic downtown Golden to downtown Denver, the Downtown Denver Partnership said Thursday.
"We are thrilled to have a company of that stature and reputation moving to downtown Denver," said Jim Kirchheimer, the partnership's senior director of economic development.
Kirchheimer could not provide details on how much space the company would take, how many employees would be relocated or where the new offices will be. Pentax, which sent out an invitation to an August event announcing its relocation, declined to comment.
"The partnership sees this as a trend," Kirchheimer said, noting that in recent months, Intrawest, owner of the Steamboat ski area and operator of Winter Park, moved its headquarters from Vancouver, British Columbia, to downtown Denver. Also moving downtown was Suncor Energy's U.S. headquarters.
Gary Wink, president and CEO of the Golden Chamber of Commerce, said Pentax is located at 12th and Ford streets in Golden and currently has about 50 employees.
"I hate to lose them," Wink said. "It is the kind of company you want to keep."
Pentax Imaging Systems was sold July 1 to Ricoh Company Ltd.
Howard Pankratz: 303-954-1939 or hpankratz@denverpost.com

Read more: Pentax Imaging Systems moving to downtown Denver - The Denver Post Pentax Imaging Systems moving to downtown Denver - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post

07-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I'm guessing that it isn't a big office or am I wrong on this? Is Ricoh's headquarter also in Denver?
07-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Article says 50 people.
07-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #4
Banned

I was wondering about this. They do the hole of USA. In Europe we have a UK office, Pentax Germany (also schweits and austria), BeNeLux representative in Belgium, France, Spain. That are alot off offices for a small brand, but then we have all these languages.

07-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I was wondering about this. They do the hole of USA. In Europe we have a UK office, Pentax Germany (also schweits and austria), BeNeLux representative in Belgium, France, Spain. That are alot off offices for a small brand, but then we have all these languages.
Well, the European market for Pentax is much bigger than the USA, so I guess the USA is served well enough with only one office.
07-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #6

Number of employees=amount of advertising.
07-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Well, the European market for Pentax is much bigger than the USA, so I guess the USA is served well enough with only one office.
Maybe there is a reason the European Market is much bigger.

07-08-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter

A little over a month before the announcement to buy Pentax, Ricoh it was reported on May 26, 2011 that Ricoh would be cutting 10,000 people form its work force worldwide.

BBC News - Japan's Ricoh to cut 10,000 jobs

QuoteQuote:
BBC UK 26 May 2011
Japan's Ricoh to cut 10,000 jobs

Japan office equipment maker Ricoh has said it plans to cut its global workforce by about 10,000 people, in order to reduce costs.
The company currently has about 110,000 employees around the world.
Shares in Ricoh surged more than 7% on the news.
The company, which makes copiers and cameras, was hit by the global financial crisis and is struggling to recover.
"We have become a big company and need to re-engineer our corporate structure throughout to become more muscular," said Shiro Kondo, president and chief executive.
"We have done very little pruning of unprofitable businesses, and we need to pull out of some."
Tougher competition Ricoh, which is based in Tokyo, expects the job cuts will cost around 60bn yen ($733m; £449m) over two years.
But the measures are eventually expected to boost operating profit by 140bn yen in three years.
The company has been hurt by a stronger yen.
The earthquake and tsunami that hit Japan on 11 March damaged some of Ricoh's facilities.
Japanese companies are finding it hard to compete against lower-priced rivals from South Korea and China.
In April, Panasonic, Japan's top consumer electronics maker, announced it was cutting 17,000 jobs around the world, also in an effort to reduce costs.
Panasonic expects to have a workforce of 350,000 people after wide-ranging reforms ending in March 2013.
It said operations at factories hit by the recent Japanese earthquake were recovering steadily, but disruptions in its supply chain were still affecting output.

http://www.seattlepi.com/business/article/Ricoh-to-cut-9-percent-of-global-w...ce-1396794.php

QuoteQuote:
TOKYO (AP) — Ricoh Co. will reduce its global workforce by 9 percent as the Japanese copier maker seeks to overhaul its struggling business.
The Tokyo-based company said Thursday it plans to cut 10,000 of its 109,000 workers over the next three years. It will also streamline redundant operations, withdraw from unprofitable businesses and shift toward new growth areas.
Ricoh expects the changes outlined in its midterm management strategy to bolster operating profit by 140 billion yen ($1.7 billion) by the fiscal year ending March 2014. It targets net sales of at least 2.4 trillion yen ($29.2 billion), which would represent a 24 percent increase from revenue in the just-ended fiscal year.
The company has been battling a strong yen, the lingering effects of the global financial crisis and rapidly changing market demands.
Japan's recent disaster further exacerbated woes. The March 11 earthquake and tsunami damaged equipment and factories. In its earnings report last month, Ricoh expressed uncertainty about the outlook this fiscal year amid potential power shortages and ongoing supply chain issues.
Investors cheered Ricoh's latest announcement and sent its shares higher on the Tokyo Stock Exchange. The issue jumped more than 4 percent to 885 yen, outpacing a 1.5 percent rise of the benchmark Nikkei 225 stock average.

07-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #9

Well I'm guessing that it isn't a big office or am I wrong on this? Is Ricoh's headquarter also in Denver?
no, it isn't very large. I've been there. they don't even have a receptionist. but it is a lovely office and the people are super nice. going to their office was the only way I could demo their equipment!

I think the number of employees is definitely linked to the amount of advertising. Perhaps this move to downtown denver signals a decision to make the office more accessible/visible to the market as a whole - the rent certainly can't be cheaper. I would say however, that Golden seemed to fit Pentax - it's a small attractive town that is kind of a well-kept secret!
07-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ned has to find new digs now.
07-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
A little over a month before the announcement to buy Pentax, Ricoh it was reported on May 26, 2011 that Ricoh would be cutting 10,000 people form its work force worldwide.
Well we all have seen howmany cuts where made in Pentax staff by Hoya, so that isn't very new.

A customer of me works for Océ (for wich Canon is going to take over) wich is also a copier, mainly into big prints for office and architecture and you don't want to know how much that market is shrunken over the past 2 years.
07-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Well we all have seen howmany cuts where made in Pentax staff by Hoya, so that isn't very new.

A customer of me works for Océ (for wich Canon is going to take over) wich is also a copier, mainly into big prints for office and architecture and you don't want to know how much that market is shrunken over the past 2 years.
Actually, Ricoh cut 9% of the work force world wide 5 weeks before announcing the purchase of Pentax. I don't recall Hoya doing that prior to the Hoya-Pentax merger which amounted to a hostile take over. It may have something to do with Ricoh restructuring in preparation for getting Pentax. However, I'm sure those 10,000 people don't feel good about it.
07-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
PDF and other digital document systems are strangling photocopiers and other print related services.

So Ricoh is shifting capital and resources from an older business archiving and communications market towards a retail and culturally important consumer market in cameras though a long-recognized brand.

Business as usual people.
07-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
PDF and other digital document systems are strangling photocopiers and other print related services.

So Ricoh is shifting capital and resources from an older business archiving and communications market towards a retail and culturally important consumer market in cameras though a long-recognized brand.

Business as usual people.

Not for 10,000 people. You just contradicted your self. You just explained how pdf changed business for copiers dramatically and the said it was business as usually.Popcorn
07-09-2011, 05:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I wonder if those 10 000 people came from Ricoh's photographic manufacturing to be replaced by Pentax's Vietnam plant?