Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2007, 08:27 AM   #151
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
Vinzer - yeah, I don't get why simga and tamron aren't jumping at the opportunity to get in on the action. Well, actually since tamron has ties to sony, I can understand they would rather ignore the pentax system instead of encouraging it. But sigma? That's crazy. I think they are rushing to get HSM support in the long glass and it's proven more difficult than thought... oh well.

As for the olympus system, of all, they are the ones really pushing the long, fast glass segment. Long glass at F2.0? Pro zooms at F2.0? Their glass isn't cheap, but if you need the speed, they've got the best in class for sure.
I'm not sure about how much Sony influences the decision-making over at Tamron, since Tamron did allow its 18-250 lens to be rebadged by Pentax.

Just the same, it's sad to see how Tamron only makes their consumer zooms available to the Pentax mount for the most part (exceptions being the 90mm macro and the legendary 28-75mm 2.8). The 200-500? Pfft. Primes? Pfft. The acclaimed 17-50? Pfft.

In fairness to Sigma, they still do make their longer zooms available, just not the fast ones. You could be right about them having problems reverse-engineering Pentax's SDM. Canon tech might be much easier to reverse-engineer for them, since their SA mount is akin to Canon's EF mount.

And yes, Olympus does price their high-end lenses ("Top Pro" in Oly-speak) quite high, no? Oly's pricing is reasonable only up to their midrange lenses ("Pro"). They certainly need to lower prices of their top glass some to entice more pro shooters to take a look at the 4/3 system.

12-03-2007, 07:49 AM   #152
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Snowcat Quote
As for 4/3 system, and those lenses you've mentioned... Lets truncate the list as i did for K-mount lenses - i.e. we'll leave those starting from 300mm. What's left?
Olympus 300mm f/2.8 ED
Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6
Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 APO EX DG HSM (Olympus Four Thirds Fit)
Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG APO Ashpherical (Four Thirds Fit)
Sigma 300-800mm f/5.6 EX DG HSM (Four Thirds AF)

Only 5 lenses... Not that much, really... And only ONE of them is fast (the first one). Can't honestly call the situation with teles on four thirds better, then ours...
Ah, but why would you only leave those starting from 300mm? Tele lenses on the 4/3rd system may be considered effectively longer in the same way that lenses on APS-C may be considered 'longer' than those on full-frame. Even if you choose not to follow that reasoning, they still have a 150mm f/2.8 and a 90-250mm f/2.8. Both of those (plus the 300mm) are fast tele lenses whereas Pentax will only do f/2.8 up to 135mm! So yes I definitely consider their system better for fast teles.

Hopefully the situation will change though...

News: Sigma are making an even newer version of the 70-200mm f/2.8.

No word on what mounts it'll be available for yet... Let's hope they remember we exist this time.

Last edited by ZaphodB; 12-03-2007 at 08:17 AM.
12-03-2007, 09:54 AM   #153
JMS

Vinzer:
"In fairness to Sigma, they still do make their longer zooms available, just not the fast ones. You could be right about them having problems reverse-engineering Pentax's SDM. Canon tech might be much easier to reverse-engineer for them, since their SA mount is akin to Canon's EF mount."

Electronically, the SA mount is similar to the EF. However, it's mechanically identical to the K-mount (or so I've heard).
12-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JMS Quote
Vinzer:
Electronically, the SA mount is similar to the EF. However, it's mechanically identical to the K-mount (or so I've heard).
The physical dimension and design of the Sigma SA mount is similar to Pentax K mount.
But the Sigma mount lacks mechanical aperture coupler and other mechanics the K mount has, because the SA mount is a full electrical mount. The electronics and the transmission protocol is indeed similar to Canon EF mount.

So, since Sigma couldn't come up with their own mount they made a hybrid of Pentax K and Canon EOS.