Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2007, 07:58 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Listens

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The new sensor is groundbreaking, but you can't tell that from "14Mp CMOS APS-C".
The images will show it...
Lets just say this, that Pentax really does listen to its user base...Tah Dah...Music Please

11-22-2007, 08:30 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Geeez guys stop that or then send me the PDF so I can rest and sleep normally

Mmm now if I understand well, that new sensor probably isn't even a Bayer-type sensor.
But then what else? RichardDay said is wasn't a Foveon. So what is it then? Something new I guess but what?
11-22-2007, 08:49 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Hi Roland,
Just speculation on my part from what I think Pentax is trying to do. It seems to me the price point will be a little under the Canon 40D and if it is it will be close to impossible for Pentax to match the Nikon D300. That being said, I must admit the enthusiasm being expressed by Chris and Ben is making me doubt my assessment a little. If it does come in with D300 type specs and IQ, and is priced around the 40D level, Ben's claim that it will set the standard for APS-C type cameras could be called pessimistic.
After following the DSLR market for 1 1/2 years I put a deposit on my K10D before it was officially announced and got it at the end of last November. It was a great buy then and at present pricing it's an absolute steal. A K20D with close to D300 specs, the size of a K10D, and the price of a 40D would be a back ordered item for a year.
Few believed the K10D's specification, even fewer believed in the price! "Weather sealing, at that price? Impossible!" Let's just say that Pentax again has raised the bar.
11-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #49
Inactive Account

Welcome K20D!! Should I put my order in already...

I can't describe the feeling I have right now. I decided to wait for the K10D follower and now it's on it's way. Thank you Ben and Roland for the info. Ground breaking. My beloved Pentax.

What I'll need is some serious update on my PP software. I've ploughed through with the Elements but now it is time to move on and take a deep learning curve with post processing as well. I'm all ears to suggestions!

11-22-2007, 10:29 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Lets just say this, that Pentax really does listen to its user base...Tah Dah...Music Please
Well, built in audio/visual facilities would certainly be welcomed by some.
11-22-2007, 10:40 AM   #51

The new sensor is groundbreaking, but you can't tell that from "14Mp CMOS APS-C".
The images will show it...
Hmmm, does that mean
super low noise sensor
really high dynamic range
non-bayer pixel arrangement
or am I not thinking outside the box enough.

edit:
never mind, I see you've posted the answer somewhere else:
QuoteQuote:
The new model will have a newly developed sensor with new technology that gives it better image quality, most notably on high ISO images, than the Sony 12Mp sensor.
I'm ready to buy. Can't wait to take pictures with a stabilized 50mm f/1.4 lens at 1/5 second and ISO6400. I wonder if it will focus by moonlight though

Last edited by walter; 11-22-2007 at 10:55 AM.
11-22-2007, 10:51 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How long from announcement to sales?

Hmm, I was going to get the K10D but based on the hype here and on some other forums, I've decided to wait for the new model. It all sounds almost too good to be true, especially for a pessimist like me

What is the track record of Pentax with getting newly announced models on store shelves? When they announce the K10d successor in January, how long will we likely have to wait? I'm asking this because I'm pondering the purchase of a K100D Super as a stopgap measure.

P.S. As this is my first post around here, I'll introduce myself shortly:
I'm a 38 year old research ecologist (mainly freshwater ecology) from Finland. I've developed a case of photography fever during the last couple years. Until last summer I was shooting with a Sony DSC-F717 but it died due to an unfortunate splash of brackish water...I decided it's time to move forward with the hobby and get a DSLR. And it's going to be a Pentax

All the best,
Boucicaut

11-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #53
Inactive Account

Wow, welcome Boucicaut

I was wondering about the same thing. Should we put the heat on Perkko...? (Pentax rep in Finland)
11-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lenanen Quote
Wow, welcome Boucicaut

I was wondering about the same thing. Should we put the heat on Perkko...? (Pentax rep in Finland)
Thanks! And nice to see a fellow Finn here

Yeah, maybe we should put some pressure on them. All local Pentaxians should give them a few calls every day
11-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
What is the track record of Pentax with getting newly announced models on store shelves? When they announce the K10d successor in January, how long will we likely have to wait? I'm asking this because I'm pondering the purchase of a K100D Super as a stopgap measure.

Boucicaut
Well... track record is not that good, especially in the lens department, but that may change if they are gaining some dimension through the new Hoya merger.

Actually, I've read somewhere (don't you love it when people write that? ) that a preview of the new model was to be released on the DPR beloved site as soon as the official announcement will be made. That means that at least some half-functionnal prototypes have to be available before the end of january and speaks in favor of a relatively quick release.
Say april-june bracket? (2008 that is )

How's that for piling earsay upon half-baked analysis?
11-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
Hmm, I was going to get the K10D but based on the hype here and on some other forums, I've decided to wait for the new model. It all sounds almost too good to be true, especially for a pessimist like me

P.S. As this is my first post around here, I'll introduce myself shortly:
I'm a 38 year old research ecologist (mainly freshwater ecology) from Finland. I've developed a case of photography fever during the last couple years. Until last summer I was shooting with a Sony DSC-F717 but it died due to an unfortunate splash of brackish water...I decided it's time to move forward with the hobby and get a DSLR. And it's going to be a Pentax

All the best,
Boucicaut
I was just in Helsinki to meet with the execs at Nokia...Love the city and the people.

Ben
11-22-2007, 03:33 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Well, built in audio/visual facilities would certainly be welcomed by some.
Blech. There are some features I'd like in a new camera, but I'd prefer to see A/V stay in video cameras. Live preview doesn't do anything for me, but I suppose it would be useful when I hand my camera to others to take my photo.

Honestly, my K10D still takes wonderful photos. For that matter, so does my *ist DS. More pixels mean nothing to me. I don't see myself getting a new camera unless it has a GPS receiver built-in. Now, THAT would get my attention.

All in all, I'm excited that Pentax seems to be back in development mode. I'm hoping production picks up in 2008. And, I'm still waiting for that $1000 300/4.0...
11-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #58
Veteran Member

What???

QuoteOriginally posted by lenanen Quote
Welcome K20D!! Should I put my order in already...

I can't describe the feeling I have right now. I decided to wait for the K10D follower and now it's on it's way. Thank you Ben and Roland for the info. Ground breaking. My beloved Pentax.

What I'll need is some serious update on my PP software. I've ploughed through with the Elements but now it is time to move on and take a deep learning curve with post processing as well. I'm all ears to suggestions!
Who ever said it was called a K20D? I certainly did not...Perhaps K*D or K**D or K***D...But "20". Now that is jumping the gun me thinks...No?

Ben
11-22-2007, 03:47 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Hey and welcome to the forum Boucicaut and lenanen, I already thought I was the only finn here

I bought my K10 in July and probably would buy it now also - not waiting for the new model and loose those wonderful winter photos I can now take Now that I already have the K10, I'll just wait for the K1D - I have no hurry!

I have to admit, though, that I might change my mind and convince myself that I do need a second body next spring...
11-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Nokia?

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I was just in Helsinki to meet with the execs at Nokia...Love the city and the people.

Ben
Hmm Nokia--Pentax. Pentax----Nokia, Hmm.