Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to say this... but... OMFG!!! That paint job look disgusting! Look at that, it looked like a toy with a very cheap plastic built material! I know that Pentax is crazy on colors, but this one is really ugly paint job even if it's called the "art of urushi". Man! There are tons of artistic paint job out there for the Grand Prix Edition, but this one is not going well. For me, that paint job does not make Pentax "Different" but rather tasteless. 8(

07-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Yes Richard interesting comments and view. My take was the Japanese art of lacquer so I think I came at it from a Japanese cultural angle. Your website Richard is a knockout.
07-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Wow, Pentax actually surprised me with a color model. They have done it for years with cameras like the LX, but I'm surprised they will be offering a 645D like this.

Would I buy one if I were in the market for a 645D? Probably not (not a big fan of red). Is it unique and interesting? For sure!
07-13-2011, 11:15 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by P虱 Jensen Quote
Using the innovative lacquer techniques developed by Sakamoto Urushi Manufacturing Co., Ltd. of Aizu-Wakamatsu, Fukushima Prefecture, Japan, PENTAX has made use of the traditional art of urushi (lacquer) for the exterior of the 645D Japan camera body. This exclusive lacquer finish not only gives the camera an elegant, exquisite appearance, but also enhances the camera’s durability. In order to create a sense of exclusiveness and a rich depth to the coating, the process requires a number of painstaking steps, such as pasting many different types of silver leaves on a black-lacquer base — as if creating a collage of torn paper — and applying an overcoat of paint in a rich Bordeaux-wine tone. This sophisticated, meticulously handcrafted lacquer technique using natural urushi and silver leaves means that each camera body will be slightly different, ensuring the camera will be a one-of-a-kind, unique possession for the photographer.
that is insane, but Leica has been doing things like this for decades. People still buy those limited edition bodies even though they can command stratospheric prices and are no different from any other stock standard M Leica body.

Hasselblad produced a H series camera body in stainless steel in recent history, that would add considerable weight to the camera.

07-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #35
Veteran Member

made by company in Fukushima Prefecture.. the area badly wounded by recent catastrophe.. must be mean something...

07-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Honestly, I think that lacquer job is gorgeous.
07-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a masterpiece for collectors

07-14-2011, 12:13 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Estimated price....

Estimated price is ・1.2 million (approx US$15,100)

More pictures here:
ペンタックス、漆仕上げの「645D japan」を受注*売 - デジカメWatch

07-14-2011, 12:17 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Apparently as the camera gets older the colour will deepen and become even richer, with classical urushi the use of a silver leaf under layer is rather unusual but I suppose pentax wanted the colour to be brighter. According to wikipedia urushi is remarkably strong and durable even when compared to modern adhesives.

"The urushi sap is collected by hand from the trees, through incisions made through the bark and into the tree. The tree produces the urushi as a defense mechanism, and it is collected as it wells up into the cuts. Sap collected at different times of the season will be of differing quality, with the best quality red urushi being collected only during late July through August. The average tree will produce only 200 grams of urushi sap, making this a fairly exclusive product"

Last edited by Digitalis; 07-14-2011 at 02:15 AM.
07-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #40
Veteran Member

GORGEOUS!!
In previous general discussions some people scoffed at the coloured versions of the K-x/K-r cameras and I've always said if they offered the 645D in different colours I'd have had no hesitation in getting mine in red ...... and there it is ....... and I've got a boring black one ..... RIPPED OFF!!
Finding it hard to ....

finish this post as I ...

keep scrolling up for another look .......
07-14-2011, 12:45 AM   #41

Wow this is beautiful...
07-14-2011, 03:37 AM   #42
Veteran Member

This is ... mind blowing. Definitively a collectors item. Hope they add an "Best quality urushi" certificate. Discussions will emerge among owners about the urushi crop date and differences in the red toning.

Personally, I don't dig for the gold lettering. And I agree with the faux leather strap on a 15 k cam observation. I mean, they won't sell a million pcs.

Octav

Last edited by octavmandru; 07-14-2011 at 03:42 AM.
07-14-2011, 03:57 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Would someone buy this and then actually shoot with it, or would they just stick it on a shelf to accrue value?
07-14-2011, 03:57 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I'm tired of Pentax bashing... Excuse my French, but they are some people who are really a bunch of "connards"
Read the comments :

Pentax to announce a 645D red lacquer limited edition camera | Photo Rumors
Pentax makes 645D Camera Grand Prix limited edition: Digital Photography Review
07-14-2011, 05:17 AM   #45

I' ll put it on the long list of items I can only dream about. A traditional piece of art covering a hightech device, wow...