Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it's true, I would like it with SR, WR and SDM II/DC. Losing the screw drive wouldn't kill me knowing a new generation of SDM II/DC lens are coming.

The SR and WR would help it distinguish itself in the market.

07-14-2011, 07:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I look at my Sigma 17-70 everyday lens and try to imagine how a new body is going to make that lens any smaller.

K mount won't take us into a significantly smaller system.

Pancake prime users are excepted, of course.
07-14-2011, 10:22 PM   #18
Forum Member

Actually doesnt this sound more like a Ricoh GXR w/K mount?

Maybe they have just transferred and combine the two system together, and Ricoh had already got this GXR out for quite sometime.
07-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hide Quote
Actually doesn't this sound more like a Ricoh GXR w/K mount?

Maybe they have just transferred and combine the two system together, and Ricoh had already got this GXR out for quite sometime.
May be. Ricoh will launch a GXR module with M mount so they could do one with K mount and electronic body-lens connection.

Anyway I do not imagine Ricoh developing in parallel the GXR system and an APS-C, K mount compatible mirrorless system camera in addition to Q, K and 645 systems.

07-15-2011, 01:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
It will use the K-mount and somehow be only slightly thicker than the Sony NEX system.
Reviving old concepts...
QuoteQuote:
[...] ultra-compact 'Digital K' SLR from 1997 - a 'headless' K mount body with no viewfinder and a live view LCD [...]
http://a.img-dpreview.com/articles/photokina2006/Pentax/IMG_0409.jpg
Photokina 2006 DPReview

Did you know this about Pentax?
07-15-2011, 02:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

That concept form 1997 is not slightly thicker than the sony NEX cameras. Is a lot more bulkier.

If what this rumors is about is true, I guess they will go with a classic reflex camera design, a very narrow body with a protruding box (or cylinder) that put the bayonet at the right working distance. New lenses created for the camera, that not need the clearance for the mirror, could be simply recessing lens, with most of the optics protruding inside the camera.

Like a L rear converter.
07-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So there would be an extensiontube to use current lenses on that camera. Sounds great and keeps us warm true the coming winter.
. . .and likely not your current one - 11, 21, 31 or 36mm (or 100).

Consider that the K mount Flange Focal Distance is 45.46 mm and that Sony probably did their optics homework to get the NEX E mount down to 18mm and still covering the APSC circle OK.

Expect a tube at around 28mm.

07-15-2011, 06:22 AM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by openyourap Quote
. . .and likely not your current one - 11, 21, 31 or 36mm (or 100).

Consider that the K mount Flange Focal Distance is 45.46 mm and that Sony probably did their optics homework to get the NEX E mount down to 18mm and still covering the APSC circle OK.

Well that is a nice tube since we can use it on out dslr as an extension tube for close-up and macro photography since it must have all the contacts and SDM and screwdrive support!
07-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

While I have no more insight than anyone else on this subject, it would strike me as very ironic if an APS-C mirrorless camera from Pentax would not support screw drive - and therefore not support DA Limited prime lenses. Given the diminutive size of these pancakes, the presence of a tube might not be a dealbreaker.
07-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by openyourap Quote

But a 3cm tube integral to the design negates a design function of mirrorless, which is a smaller body.

The tube concept retains the mirror box space without the prism and OVF.

The only advantage is internally recessed lenses, so the body is bulkier but the lenses are much more compact. It's an interesting trade-off concept, if there is truth to the rumour.

Hard to tell. It will have to retain SR and screw drive or its reason for being disappears. The range of accommodation extends from F, FA and DA lens lines easing the transition cost to the new mount for many people.
07-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
But a 3cm tube integral to the design negates a design function of mirrorless, which is a smaller body.

The tube concept retains the mirror box space without the prism and OVF.

The only advantage is internally recessed lenses, so the body is bulkier but the lenses are much more compact. It's an interesting trade-off concept, if there is truth to the rumour.

Hard to tell. It will have to retain SR and screw drive or its reason for being disappears. The range of accommodation extends from F, FA and DA lens lines easing the transition cost to the new mount for many people.
I don't envisage an integral tube, I see it as an after-market accessory.

We're really talking about a new mount specification that happens to share the K flange and contacts. Call it KAF4, flat K, or whatever. Lenses for it would not have heavily recessed optics. Mounting on your legacy K camera would give you a longer focal length that would only close focus (though pentax could add legacy focus to infinity at the design stage).
07-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #27
ogl
Banned

I think it's insane rumors. Mirrorless and K-mount are no good combination.
07-16-2011, 02:45 AM   #28
Pentaxian

It would still make sense if it would be in the 24x36mm format... the first in the market with already plenty of working lenses still under production...
Then the relative bulkiness of the tube would be proportionnaly lessened, and le new SDM "KAF4" lenses line would be K-compatible, hence interesting even for reflex owners...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 07-16-2011 at 03:08 AM.
07-16-2011, 11:05 AM   #29
Veteran Member

A SDM only mount would make perfect sense. Then add the optional adapter for Kaf lenses with a screw drive and motor. Presto! Thin camera, small wide angle lenses, and Kaf lenses work.

I'm trying to hold off buying a Fuji X100 in hopes this materializes.
07-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
A SDM only mount would make perfect sense.
A majority of the current SDM lenses aren't exactly compact.