Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #136
Banned

Is the 2013 Chevrolet still in the works at GM or not ?

07-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Always nice to see non techno-kids write about techno-kids. Theories about why they do what they do.
Very well. I will rephrase that: That may be part of why shooters and tweeters shoot and tweet.
07-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I'm still a huge fan of really good OVF's (which unfortunately excludes almost all non-full frame OVF's), but honestly the visual process is the same whether I'm looking through an EVF or looking through a prism. I'm about to head out to do some street shooting with my G1 in a few mins so I just did a quick camera check before heading out; almost every single time I look through that EVF it impresses me. Being able to see lens flaws, DOF, bokeh quality, custom grid lines, histogram, and exposure all while you compose is simply wonderful. Of course you can turn as much of that on/off as you please. I'll use film SLR's until the day I die, but will I ever switch back to an OVF in the digital world? It's doubtful. It would take a Pentax 645-like OVF to get me back I'm afraid.
I don't know if the fuji x100 is considered an ovf or evf, probably an evf i would guess. but when i looked through it, very impressive. Bright, contains more of the view than just what the camera will include so it helps composition. frankly, i think its the best feature of the x100
07-25-2011, 12:11 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I don't know if the fuji x100 is considered an ovf or evf, probably an evf i would guess. but when i looked through it, very impressive. Bright, contains more of the view than just what the camera will include so it helps composition. frankly, i think its the best feature of the x100
Fuji (and others, including critics) call it a hybrid VF.

I've tried it and think it a brilliant design. However, I think it is limited in function to a fixed lens setup. I think it would stumble on any tele beyond 70mm and a WA under 24mm. Maybe there is the possibility of a folding zoom system within the OVF component, but I doubt it.

The virtue of a reflex system OVF is it can see all FL's at 100% DR without flinching. Reflex mirror = WYSIWYG including the zoom.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 07-25-2011 at 07:06 PM.
08-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #140

Here is the NEX C3 with Pentax DA40 Ltd & Kipon adapter. It actually much more attractive than Sony's E lenses mounted on a black C3 and takes far sharper pictures..... Please make the Pentax EVIL NEX sized...

Here's a shot with the combo wide open

08-02-2011, 06:18 AM   #141
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
That would be an interesting design, but I'll believe it when I see it. My contact at Sony's imaging division just laughed at that mockup.
I think your contact is out of the loop:

www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-huge-sony-leak

I still don't know what Sony is thinking though. The NEX-7 body looks great, but that 24mm lens is huge! Samsung has a nice tiny carry everywhere 30mm f/2. That is exactly what needs to be bundled with the NEX-7.

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 08-02-2011 at 07:01 AM.
08-02-2011, 06:40 AM   #142
Veteran Member

I think your contact is out of the loop:

sonyalpharumors | Blog | (SR5) Huge Sony leak!!!

I still don't know what Sony is thinking though. The NEX-7 body looks great, but that 24mm lens is huge! Samsung has a nice tiny carry everywhere 30mm f/2. That is exactly what needs to be bundled with the NEX-7.
Agreed about the 24/1.8, it is very large. And I think the two e-dials side-by-side is a very, very bad ergonomic design.

08-02-2011, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #143
Veteran Member

The Sony NEX-7 rumors are starting to look more and more reliable. And if they are accurate, THAT is the camera that Pentax should've made with some sort of a K mount support and not the stupid stupid stupid Q.

I was already planning to get a NEX-5 as my compact camera, but especially now looking at the crystal ball, I definitely see a NEX in my future.
08-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #144
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by tsammyc Quote
Here is the NEX C3 with Pentax DA40 Ltd & Kipon adapter. It actually much more attractive than Sony's E lenses mounted on a black C3 and takes far sharper pictures..... Please make the Pentax EVIL NEX sized...
Wow that 40mm doesn't look so pancaky anymore.
08-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #145
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
Agreed about the 24/1.8, it is very large. And I think the two e-dials side-by-side is a very, very bad ergonomic design.
It isn't very large considering it is a f1.8 24mm Zeiss lens. I agree about the edials though. I would hate flush the toilet thinking I was opening the lid.
08-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
The Sony NEX-7 rumors are starting to look more and more reliable. And if they are accurate, THAT is the camera that Pentax should've made with some sort of a K mount support and not the stupid stupid stupid Q.

I was already planning to get a NEX-5 as my compact camera, but especially now looking at the crystal ball, I definitely see a NEX in my future.

.... and that Zeiss prime. Damn. I will buy the NEX - 7, just for that.
08-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #147
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tsammyc Quote

Here's a shot with the combo wide open
That looks like a sweet little setup, but the moment you start talking about 5x and 10x zooms the NEX moves closer and closer in size to a small dSLR like the A33. As much as I like pancake primes, we live in a zoom world now, and compact prime setups like yours will not likely be mainstream setups.
08-03-2011, 02:11 AM   #148
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link!

Anybody noticed the LA-EA2 rumor within it?

Eventually, somebody is doing a decent mirrorless-SLR lens adapter (again). And I must notice that this somebody is Sony. Rumors have it (and I assume because it is the logical thing to do) that the LA-EA2 will have a phase AF module and no viewfinder as it isn't required with EVFs. Rumors have it too that the adapter embedds an AF motor to autofocus older SLR lenses. It's an A-mount adapter (E->A=EA).

Now imagine an LA-EK2 or LA-EK1...
08-03-2011, 03:28 AM   #149

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
That looks like a sweet little setup, but the moment you start talking about 5x and 10x zooms the NEX moves closer and closer in size to a small dSLR like the A33. As much as I like pancake primes, we live in a zoom world now, and compact prime setups like yours will not likely be mainstream setups.
Agreed. The question is whether one uses the EVIL as a primary or secondary body. For me, its a secondary body to my K5 for obtaining the same IQ without advertising myself as a DSLR shooter.

The BIG question to me is how good Pentax's EVIL specific lenses are. If they are Sony's disasterous E-mount image quality then I will never use them. I presume Pentax will have a K-mount adapter that allows auto focussing. Sony has one for E to A-mount, but autofocus is unacceptably slow so its almost useless. So another BIG question is the autofocus performance of Pentax's EVIL to K-mount adapter.
08-03-2011, 03:39 AM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Anybody noticed the LA-EA2 rumor within it?
Yes , this rumor is not new:
sonyalpharumors | Blog | (SR5) The revolution is coming: NEX adapter with built-in translucent mirror!
sonyalpharumors | Blog | Some additional thoughts about the adapter

Recently, a price also was mentioned: LA-EA2 will cost around $400?

For "A" functionality, the LA-EA1 already exists at a street price of about 140$.

How and if screw drive will be supported is still a matter of debate. The increased price compared to the LA-EA1 suggests AF functionality. It seems also to indicate that a mirrorless-DSLR-lens-adapter with AF functionality is doable at a reasonable price point. So, one in principle would not be forced to use silly, crippled versions. On the other hand, a K-x/-r is not that much more expensive (about $500).