Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-mount mirrorless still in the works.

So I heard today there is a large sensor K-mount mirrorless camera still in the works. The information comes around 3 steps down the information chain from Pentax. As I had a hard time believing it myself I'll just say it's a baseless rumor at this point.

- It will be announced next spring. Fall looks to be a dead horse for all of the camera companies due to the natural disaster.

- It will use the K-mount and somehow be only slightly thicker than the Sony NEX system.

- The existing k-mount lenses will work in a fashion. Newer lenses designed specifically for the camera will have the back element as close to the sensor as possible or use other tricks to make them extremely compact.

07-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Banned

So there would be an extensiontube to use current lenses on that camera. Sounds great and keeps us warm true the coming winter.
07-14-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So there would be an extensiontube to use current lenses on that camera. Sounds great and keeps us warm true the coming winter.
Well that's why I have a hard time believing it... he said it wouldn't use an adapter for current lenses.
07-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I have to say I REALLY doubt there will be another system for Pentax
that means that pentax would simultaneously, not counting Ricoh, develop 4 different lens systems (Q, this new ILC, K mount , 645d)

07-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

well.... "only slightly thicker" than a NEX could be what the minimum design thickness is for the K mount today.

What i mean is, that the camera can be as thick as the mount must be to work. Think the K-r depth (lens mount) and maybe a few milimeters smaller. If the whole body is that size in depth, it would be a small camera.

bah... nevermind... wild guessing...
07-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
The existing k-mount lenses will work in a fashion. Newer lenses designed specifically for the camera will have the back element as close to the sensor as possible or use other tricks to make them extremely compact.
Interesting; another lens line slips in. Keep the communication line open even if you doubt.
07-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I'll believe when I'll see it.
Such a camera could be about 2.5 - 3cm thicker than the NEX without SR, maybe 4 with SR.

07-14-2011, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

if it's true, I would hope for a built-in viewfinder (like the rumored Nex-7)...I don't want to be forced into buying a camera without a viewfinder! Don't make me do it pentax, don't! I do love an optical viewfinder but can compromise for a slightly more compact system for that fix I can still use my DSLR.

Also, if it's a serious camera, here's to hoping that it gets a good build construction (like the Q) and give it some WR so I can take it out there.
07-14-2011, 12:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Also, although I like the SR on my DSLR, I could also live without it for a mirrorless...to help keep things compact and less complex. I'm sure others will disagree with me on that. And people will probably want it for video purposes...
07-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The existing k-mount lenses will work in a fashion.
Provided there's any truth in this rumor, I wonder what would that mean? Electrical contacts and SDM/DC only and no screw mechanism AF? Something else?
07-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
Also, although I like the SR on my DSLR, I could also live without it for a mirrorless...to help keep things compact and less complex. I'm sure others will disagree with me on that.
I'm with you, and others have posted the same sentiment. I do think Pentax has to at least have a product announcement this year, though.
07-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Provided there's any truth in this rumor, I wonder what would that mean? Electrical contacts and SDM/DC only and no screw mechanism AF? Something else?
I think this means that it uses new type lenses, with the back element projecting way beyond the K-mount. Actually a very clever idea, although those new lenses won't work on our DSLR's
07-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

- It will be announced next spring. Fall looks to be a dead horse for all of the camera companies due to the natural disaster.
Sony is supposed to release the A77 this Fall as well as the NEX-7 and possibly a NEX-C5. Panasonic is also supposed to announce their Pro m4/3's body. Fuji will also announce an interchangeable lens mirrorless, possibly using the m4/3's mount. There is also a weak rumor about a Pro PEN coming this Fall, but I personally don't believe that one (hope I'm wrong though).

Last edited by Art Vandelay II; 07-14-2011 at 02:11 PM.
07-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, although I like the SR on my DSLR, I could also live without it for a mirrorless...to help keep things compact and less complex. I'm sure others will disagree with me on that.
Yep.

Given the choice between SR, mirrorless, and thin, I'll take mine with just the SR please. I actually like a big camera. Mirrorless I could take or leave, but if "large sensor" means FF, I'll take it in whatever form it comes.
07-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #15

Also, although I like the SR on my DSLR, I could also live without it for a mirrorless...to help keep things compact and less complex. I'm sure others will disagree with me on that. And people will probably want it for video purposes...
Not for video. For me it sort of transformed shooting in low light.
Best invention since the wheel (at least on the k100ds)