Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2011, 06:35 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I expressed some concerns in the "other" forum and John C. from Pentax responded. PPG will remain a stand-alone gallery with rotating artwork from it displaying on pentax-imaging.com.

09-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
Which means that all the ones you'd really like to comment on will have it turned off. Like the 46th in a row of the same girl in a cliche' pose.
LOL. Well, the choice should always be with the photographer, surely?
09-22-2011, 07:21 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
LOL. Well, the choice should always be with the photographer, surely?
IMHO, commenting and gallery selection by a jury don't go nicely together. One or the other.

That's one thing which irritates me with the PEG: accepted photos are still rated ...

Maybe, I am too conventional here. But artwork selected for a gallery should speak for itself. With no whiteboard for comments hanging under the photo on the wall ...
09-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
IMHO, commenting and gallery selection by a jury don't go nicely together. One or the other.

That's one thing which irritates me with the PEG: accepted photos are still rated ...

Maybe, I am too conventional here. But artwork selected for a gallery should speak for itself. With no whiteboard for comments hanging under the photo on the wall ...
I agree. I think comments should be viewable to the artist only, not the gallery viewer.

09-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree here. The PPG shouldn't be Flickr. They both have their purposes and the PPG one is to showcase artwork done with Pentax gear. If I want comments I post on Flickr or any other similar site. And I wouldn't like any kind of rating either on PPG, do we go to a photo gallery and look at how much stars this Ansel Adams picture got? (that would be funny though

The comments I'd like to see maybe are why a picture is rejected. Could be generic: too much PP, visible artifacts, doesn't respect the rules, etc. But it may create more problems than it solves.

The PPG concept is a great one. It may needs some reworking for the UI but I like most of it. Yeah I know some people complain about the quality of some acceptance. That may be has to do with photographic genres: street shooters don't want to see macros and vice-versa... A better jury may help too. Maybe give more weight to people who have a higher ratio of acceptance.
09-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote

The comments I'd like to see maybe are why a picture is rejected. Could be generic: too much PP, visible artifacts, doesn't respect the rules, etc. But it may create more problems than it solves.
This appeals to me greatly. I would like to be able to comment about the shot at this point. However, given the number of people who view the shots, I'm thinking that commenting when reviewing might be problematical, as you say.

In any case, I doubt that I will be activating commenting.
09-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #52
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Agree with Falk re: PEG.
But PPG is again designed to be a standalone gallery, rather than a learning/critiquing exercise for submitters. It would need a lot more staff/gallery members dedicated to photograph critique to support submission commenting from judges. I'm sure they had enough trouble trying to get members to simply vote yes/no - there was never an end to voting on PPG.
09-23-2011, 01:59 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
there was never an end to voting on PPG.
Artist were allowed to submit too many photos to PPG. One photo per day and artist, and no more photos while a submission is pending, would solve this and greatly improve the overall quality. I mostly don't vote at PPG because I don't like much of what I see.

09-23-2011, 03:27 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I agree, if you upload 20 pics, then wait 20 days before adding more.
I'm happy of what I have there, but I admit (this is very easy to say, I know) that much of what I see for voting is of utter banality.
And it dissolves the very good stuff, which you can also find on PPG.
09-23-2011, 03:40 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Artist were allowed to submit too many photos to PPG. One photo per day and artist, and no more photos while a submission is pending, would solve this and greatly improve the overall quality. I mostly don't vote at PPG because I don't like much of what I see.
Their upload page even encouraged that. The most frustrating thing about voting were those contributors that "bombed" PPG with a whole load of pictures (from the embarrassing "everything from my last holiday" series to rather good pictures, but far too many far too similar ones).

I think a good rule would be to say that you can at most have 5 pictures waiting to be reviewed at any time.
09-23-2011, 04:21 AM   #56
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

^^ +1 Gazonk. Agree. Also, the good photographers that submit the same scene 5s later. Sigh.

Love your "5 pics waiting" thing

Let's hope the Pentax management in charge of that project make a conscious decision to choose quality over quantity. Please?
09-23-2011, 04:32 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Also, the good photographers that submit the same scene 5s later.
Yes, or different PP versions of exactly the same image. I confess that I submitted my only B+W PPG contribution as a color version first. But at least I waited until it was rejected before I tried the new version
09-23-2011, 05:30 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Well they improved the submission process to 10 pictures max per week. But it was still too much. It should have been 10 max in review mode. Or at least queue the others until there is a free slot available. Because it's quite possible that when someone first sign up he has already a good portfolio.

Oh yes and maybe reduce the number of available slots when someone has a too low ratio of acceptance. It hopefully would discourage people who are trying to flood the system in the hope of having one slipping in.
09-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote

Oh yes and maybe reduce the number of available slots when someone has a too low ratio of acceptance. It hopefully would discourage people who are trying to flood the system in the hope of having one slipping in.
Well now THAT'S an interesting idea. I think that would be an either/or thing though. They could and should do that with the current number of allowable pendings, but if you reduce that number, as many are proposing, then I don't think you could do this, too.
09-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
^^ +1 Gazonk. Agree. Also, the good photographers that submit the same scene 5s later. Sigh.

Love your "5 pics waiting" thing

Let's hope the Pentax management in charge of that project make a conscious decision to choose quality over quantity. Please?
Submitting the same thing almost immediately? Good heavens! Is this like a scattergun approach... if the first one doesn't get in, then the second/third/fourth might? I must admit there have been times when I thought something I voted on was something I had seen some short time before, but it never occurred to me that people might do this.

5 pics waiting would be good. I never upload more than two at a time anyway.

Quality issues: I agree. I do get sick to death of the shots of the favourite young son on his trike in the park etc. I submitted something which was a reasonable shot... but only reasonable. If someone else had submitted it, I would have voted against. But it got in. I think that was when I stopped submitting, I havent uploaded anything for a long time. Then again I don't believe I have produced anything worth uploading for a very long time.