Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #61

Trying to have someone manage even 1 submission per day per user can get insane to manage quickly, just spend some time up front, assign normal users to staff or let the community itself vote pics in our out. (I'm saying this having run multiple sites with tens of thousands of users, non photographic)

I personally like the tutorials, but that's just me. I wouldn't worry at all if some quality tutorials were on the site, if anything, they might draw more traffic or more repeat traffic.

Will they also be updating or killing off this embarrassment?
PENTAXIAN.com | The Community for PENTAX Users
(when the equipment listed is K10, it just might be a bit outdated..)

09-27-2011, 07:46 AM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
Trying to have someone manage even 1 submission per day per user can get insane to manage quickly, just spend some time up front, assign normal users to staff or let the community itself vote pics in our out. (I'm saying this having run multiple sites with tens of thousands of users, non photographic)

I personally like the tutorials, but that's just me. I wouldn't worry at all if some quality tutorials were on the site, if anything, they might draw more traffic or more repeat traffic.

Will they also be updating or killing off this embarrassment?
PENTAXIAN.com | The Community for PENTAX Users
(when the equipment listed is K10, it just might be a bit outdated..)

I would expect the software to be set to manage the number of entries in que.
09-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #63

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I would expect the software to be set to manage the number of entries in que.
Of course, but that doesn't help on a busy site, if 20% submit several images, you still need people to approve or disapprove them. On something content oriented where the content is coming from the users, versus staff/owners producing the content for consumption (like blogs, articles, tutorials), you can easily build up quite the backlog for a handful of people if all of the 'approvers' are Pentax/Ricoh personnel only.
Maybe I'm off on the scale, but anything approaching popular would require more dedicated resources to simply approve pictures than many companies want to staff - thus simpler, lower staffing requirements, as well as more community involving to let the community itself vote/approve the majority of the images submitted vs 'only Pentax staff can approve.' If turnaround time to approval or rejection is too long, it's just going to bleed/not grow much in users, IMO.
09-27-2011, 02:04 PM   #64
Site Supporter

Of course, but that doesn't help on a busy site, if 20% submit several images, you still need people to approve or disapprove them. On something content oriented where the content is coming from the users, versus staff/owners producing the content for consumption (like blogs, articles, tutorials), you can easily build up quite the backlog for a handful of people if all of the 'approvers' are Pentax/Ricoh personnel only.
Maybe I'm off on the scale, but anything approaching popular would require more dedicated resources to simply approve pictures than many companies want to staff - thus simpler, lower staffing requirements, as well as more community involving to let the community itself vote/approve the majority of the images submitted vs 'only Pentax staff can approve.' If turnaround time to approval or rejection is too long, it's just going to bleed/not grow much in users, IMO.
I am saying that the software could limit the number of submissions and in que at any given time. The approval has been done by the voting process.

09-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #65
Veteran Member

you can easily build up quite the backlog for a handful of people if all of the 'approvers' are Pentax/Ricoh personnel only.
The way the PPG is currently working it's not an issue. Popular votes do most of the trimming, then the Pentax employees make the final decision. I think it's a good as is. I'm not always agreeing with their taste but it doesn't matter, any gallery is like this even the 1x.com that some people seem so fond of.
09-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
The way the PPG is currently working it's not an issue. Popular votes do most of the trimming, then the Pentax employees make the final decision. I think it's a good as is. I'm not always agreeing with their taste but it doesn't matter, any gallery is like this even the 1x.com that some people seem so fond of.
TBH I was wondering in recent months whether the Pentax employees had any input at all. There have been a number of shots in there which do not really showcase the capacity/capability of the gear being used (mine included in this remark)
09-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
TBH I was wondering in recent months whether the Pentax employees had any input at all. There have been a number of shots in there which do not really showcase the capacity/capability of the gear being used (mine included in this remark)
I've wondered this myself, especially with all the accepted shots that break the submission rules.
09-27-2011, 05:20 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Ahh, got it. Sorry all, I wasn't aware of that, had just seen comments about approval taking so long, I'd mistakenly assumed it was Pentax people doing the actual approvals, which seemed utterly insane.
I had meant to manage to sign up, have looked through it (apparently not closely enough, or not as a logged in user), then saw this thread so was wondering about the changes vs the various gripe threads I've read, and came to the wrong conclusion about the approval process.

09-28-2011, 01:24 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote
I've wondered this myself, especially with all the accepted shots that break the submission rules.
oh yeah. There have been a few, haven't there... I wonder if the input of Pentax employees has just been something they let us believe, to make us all feel special when something is accepted. Anyway, I don't feel special at all, anymore. Haven't submitted in almost a year, and haven't voted for about 6 months (and yeah I know we can't right now)