Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2011, 05:45 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I HAVE A HUNCH...

Recently, Pentax had three announcements that were noticed beyond the photo / phanboi press -- Q system, Ricoh buyout, 645D Ltd. These actually appeared in general-public newsfeeds. They grabbed attention. And they hint at a sophisticated marketing strategy to get the PENTAX name out in public view.

I suspect that the general public (and those providing newsfeeds) don't give diddly-squat about FFD or 110D or any such nerdly stuff. A 110D won't out-small the Q. A K1-FFD won't out-large the 645D. They're just incremental variants of existing stuff from other makers, too much like an m4/3 gadget or Canikony FFD. They aren't DIFFERENT.

I HAVE A HUNCH... that Ricoh-Pentax's next announcement will be of something DIFFERENT. I think Ricoh is positioning Pentax to be The Innovator in photography, producing cameras that are exciting and game-changing, like the Spotty was game-changing. These K1 and 110D teases, that's all they are: teases, not quite as silly as Nikon's newly-escaped concept cameras (see my thread on the NON-PENTAX forum), but mere distractions from the main show.

I have zero idea as to what the main show will look like. I have no inside info, don't read the rumour-mills, don't analyze released nor leaked statements. I just look a recent history and try to project it -- and that projection is, Expect Something DIFFERENT. I'll let y'all speculate as to what it might be. Whatever it is, expect to be surprised.

I came to the same conclusion as soon as I started seeing these images circulating around... I feel that somethings coming. Like you say, something different. I wonder, oh how I wonder what it will be...

07-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Ricoh has to send a clear signal as to their intentions with Pentax, and they need to do it with actual products on the market. Announcements and press conferences without prototypes or production model units do not send a clear signal. The MZ-D or K-1 (whatever) was just a prototype and never got into production. It created a lot of hype with no real substance other than a few bodies in a storage room. Ricoh needs to create hype and deliver the goods to the market. Is this an attempt at that? I dunno. We'll see as October gets closer. Did anyone notice anything different about that K-1 other than the change from the MZ-D label? If there is, then maybe they're dusting that old project off. That would definitely cause a stir...
07-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Actually, Pentax made a few preproduction samples of the K-1. They were never offered for sale but in use by some Pentax employees. This is probbaly one of them...
People are reading far too much into it...
I hope it is in their corporate culture to run product photos thru the top brass before releasing them on flickr stream.

but, if you must, please, get rid of MZ-S dials !
07-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
R Did anyone notice anything different about that K-1 other than the change from the MZ-D label?
As far as I know, the only different thing is the name K-1 actually being written on the camera. It's not new the name, as some said it was the one chosen for the MZS-D once coming to production, but if I am not mistaken, it was never actually seen on a prototype.

But it's just a prototype of that era, with no way to use lens without aperture ring, and a minuscule LCD on the back.

Also, I want to point to a little note in one of the photos on flickr: the Auto 110 "digital" has the number 2000 between brackets. I assume it was the year in which that thing was made, as a first attempt to work on a digital camera with smaller form factor. I fail to see some hidden code... this and the K-1 were just fancy items to photograph at the bloggers meeting.

07-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #50
Veteran Member

with current lens line up, there is no chance for FF to come
07-20-2011, 12:43 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
I fail to see some hidden code... this and the K-1 were just fancy items to photograph at the bloggers meeting.
I thought the Q was the camera that should be in the spotlights, on that blogger's meeting. Instead they also decided to show off old prototypes, which to me is completely pointless. Why the distraction? It does not make any sense, unless Pentax wanted to make a firm statement.

Where are the Japanese people, where are the blogs about this meeting? What's written? Please, give us more details
07-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kent Quote
with current lens line up, there is no chance for FF to come

Allow me to desagree : if you get the japanese Pentax catalog, you will find about 10 D-FA or FA lenses still in production and for sale in Japan, including FA20, FA 31, FA20-35, FA43, DFA50 macro, FA77, DFA 100 macro, and some FA-J zooms.
They actually woul just need to modernise - including SDM engine - the excellent (albeit too "cheeply made") FA 24-90, in order to make the line acceptable for a start.
Hence they would extend progressively the line in picking the good old formulas...

In my most funny dreams, this K1 rebadging shown by an authorised photograph, could well be the unofficial announcement for a later oncomming K-FF.

07-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It would be wonderful if Pentax decided to finally release a full frame camera (KF1). This would fill the gap between the K5 as their top of the line APS-C and the 645D both in price and sensor size. Currently they do have a gap that is just waiting to be filled with D3s/D3x or 1DmkIII/1DmkIV equivalent bodies.

I would like to see Pentax (under Ricoh leadership) with the following:
1. Q system (Q)
2. APS-C system (2 bodies as they have now) (K)
3. FF system (2 bodies, similar to Canikon D3s/D3x equivalients) (KF)
4. 645D system (2 bodies, entry level as current body/pro 645D with 60MP sensor) (D)
5. Point and shoot (waterproof, gps, coffee making, face finding, whatever the masses like type cameras)

Once those 10 bodies are in place, concentrate on lens development or do so in conjunction with the body development seen as Ricoh should be putting in the funding to develop and market the brand properly now.

To get to this, only 2 new bodies need to be developed being the FF versions, the others exist already. To achieve a 645D pro version, it is really a new sensor plus some tweeking to the software and hardware internals, the body is already there.

Again, the Q and K systems need very little development in the normal ranges. There are huge gaps in the super tele ranges as well as having almost no FF lenses nor 645 lenses (I am talking new lenses).

To me the above makes the most sense. Stick to 10 bodies which can be incrementally upgraded, and focus a lot more energy on producing outstanding lenses again.

I would also love to have a spotting scope (PF80ED) with a fine focus adjuster but I realise I am probably the only one on the planet that does digiscoping... )
07-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
1. Q system (Q)
4. 645D system (2 bodies, entry level as current body/pro 645D with 60MP sensor) (D)
5. Point and shoot (waterproof, gps, coffee making, face finding, whatever the masses like type cameras)
1. That's what's coming.
2. That's where they are.
3. See my comment below.
4. Why not a 67D?
5. Being killed by phones.

QuoteQuote:
Stick to 10 bodies which can be incrementally upgraded, and focus a lot more energy on producing outstanding lenses again.
The immediate negative response would be, THEY CAN'T AFFORD THIS!! My questions are: CAN Ricoh afford this? And, can Ricoh afford NOT to do something like this? Actually I think (5) the P&S's is likely, because those can be shown in B&M stores to get people aware of the Pentax name. But dSLRs are more lucrative.

Another model is to have more APS bodies, dSLR and maybe MILC, with older cheaper cash-cows (like Kx) sold as commodity kits (like D40). Meanwhile, your model doesn't seem to include GXR or GXR2, which could be MILC's in the Q *and* APS *and* FF *and* 645 areas. But, we shall see...
07-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Yes, (3) is too much to ask - suddenly matching top Canikons. More realistic is a 5DmkII/D700-level DSLR - a sort of "FF" K-5 if you wish.
Ricoh would certainly like a profitable Pentax.
07-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yes, (3) is too much to ask - suddenly matching top Canikons. More realistic is a 5DmkII/D700-level DSLR - a sort of "FF" K-5 if you wish.
Ricoh would certainly like a profitable Pentax.
Yup, I don't see Pentax coming out with two top-of-the-line FF bodies, but I definitely can see them coming out with something that is in line with the D700/5D Mk II only that beats both of those of course!
07-20-2011, 10:29 AM   #57
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
1. Q system (Q)
It sounds a lot, but I have siimular idea's. Only one FF is more then enough to start with. Making clear what is coming is more important.

4. Why not a 67D?
Well this is not a road to travel unless the 645D system has come to it's limits. Currenty only 44x33mm sensor is used. On 6X7 you can fit a 56x70mm sensor.

My list in another thread.
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Will Ricoh take a good start in october when they are taking over Pentax and announce some fine new products to put a markingpoint in the sand to say where they stand:
  1. For 645D announcing the coming of the second model (645D-L) with KAF50100 50 megapixel sensor.
  2. For GXR announcing a module with Q-mount.
  3. For GXR announcing a module with K-mount and APS-C sensor.
  4. For GXR announcing a module with K-mount and a Full Frame sensor.
  5. For P&S announcing a new series of wheaterseald and shockproof camera's.
  6. For P&S ending the Optio series.
  7. For K-mount announcing K-5 Super (or K-3), improved K-5.
  8. For K-mount announcing some new lenses.
  9. For K-mount giving clearance about long telerange lenses in future (>400mm).
  10. For K-mount giving clearance about Full Frame camera in future.
  11. For K-mount releasing a Lens Road Map.
I think for P&S only like travelzooms and serious camera's are interesting for the future. To be honest these two are covert by options like Q and GXR.
07-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It sounds a lot, but I have siimular idea's. Only one FF is more then enough to start with. Making clear what is coming is more important.
-----
Well this is not a road to travel unless the 645D system has come to it's limits. Currenty only 44x33mm sensor is used. On 6X7 you can fit a 56x70mm sensor.
-----
My list in another thread.
-----
I think for P&S only like travelzooms and serious camera's are interesting for the future. To be honest these two are covert by options like Q and GXR.
Ah, but we are deep in Speculation Fantasyland and we can wish and speculate and fantasize ad infinitum. We can design concept cameras like castles in the sky. Talk is cheap, shooped images are cheap, so why not? Here is one model:

* dSLRs are lucrative, so it makes sense to treat the Kx as Pentax's D40x and churn them out for as long as they sell. Pentax can use this cash cow. Maybe produce another generation of K dSLRs -- those are probably in the pipeline anyway. As long as they sell, GROOVY! And maybe further generations will look more like Nikon's camcicle, dSLR-on-a-stick, whatever -- bodies can evolve.

* Q is an attention grabber. It will grab even more attention with a Q1, a basic P&S with a D-mount and C and CS adapters, to exploit cine lenses; and a Q2, with a 110/m43-size sensor, to devour the m4/3 market. As long as small+cute sells, Q is a winner.

* The GXR concept can be expanded with just a few mountors: Q with AF, M for AF (and many adapters), and K with AF. Then a larger GXR2 that could handle mountors with FF, 645, 6x7 sensors, whatever can be produced. I'd really like a 6x9 but that would take a new lens system.

These all fit in with Ricoh-Pentax history. Of course, we COULD be very surprised...

Last edited by RioRico; 07-20-2011 at 11:47 AM.
07-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #59
Banned

I'd really like a 6x9 but that would take a new lens system.
Wow with a 6 micron pixel that would give a 150 megapixel sensor. I hope they will put in a dual PRIME II processor otherwise you can take only one picture per minute.
07-20-2011, 12:11 PM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

2011 July 16 Pentax bloggers meeting in Japan

So, there was a Pentax bloggers meeting in Japan ...

2 weeks after the Ricoh announcement.

With Q given to people to take photos with.

And lab equipment (including recent FourThird-sized sensor (the Digital Auto 110) and an old full frame (the Kodak-sensor based K1D)) to take photos from.

I wonder what is behind this event. Esp. as there is no real blogger scene in Japan. Or if I miss it, please point me to Japanese Pentax blogs (covering the event) ...

EDIT, ok, here is one -> http://www.schaft.net/n00bs/

If I must speculate, I'd say Ricoh makes Pentax entering brainstorm mode.

So, where is the "new Pentax" brainstorm forum here? Adam?

UPDATE
Actually, if one tries to read the event article from the blog above, there seems to be quite some inside material about various design attempts tried by Pentax in the past. There is also mention that the Q mount is meant for a bigger image circle than 1/2.3". Is anybody able to read Japanese?
-> http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&e...07.html%23more

Last edited by falconeye; 07-20-2011 at 12:29 PM.