QuoteOriginally posted by froeschle Quote
Further reading :
Thanks a lot.
Much appreciated

08-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
#1: Zeiss is a Niche market. Furthermore, if it wasn't for Zeiss having the AF line of lenses for the Alpha system, their sales would not even show up on the radar . . . oh wait, they don't anyway. The only other major manufacturers with mf lenses is Nikon with about 8 NIkkor including the 35/1.4. These can be bought from BH and Adorama. Then there are some by Cosina/Voightlander. I have felt that Pentax should maintain an assembly line for specialty products and run small batches of some items. manual focus lenses is one of those items i.e. the best of the best such as the A 15mm, K 18, K28/2, A 50/1.2, A* 85/1.4, A* 135/1.8., A* 200/2.8 and A* 200/4 macro. Put in A contacts on the K's and add Ghostless Coatings & SP. Those and a few other specialty items would keep the Specialty Assembly line going. It would be done in a sustainability fashion rather than with a goal of selling to everyone on the planet. However, selling them in different mounts might not be a bad idea.

#2: No one gives a flip about the FAJ lenses, well almost no one.

#3: The 645D is in a different ball game at $9-10K for the body. Plus the senor is somewhere between 24x36 and 645. I think many people with medium format don't have as many lenses as they did with 135 or digital 35. Pentax has been adding lenses to the 645D, but slowly which was in part due to them only releasing what was in the works and under the direction of Hoya who seems to have been in a holding pattern. We will see how that changes under Ricoh.

#4: Hassy has been sold recently so that should help level the playing field during the transition.
Well, your list only supports, what I have wrote: currently almost all lenses a full-format DSLR user would wish to have, cannot be bought from Pentax. Considering the poor ff-line-up, it doesn't make much sense to release a DSLR with such a large sensor. As we all know, Pentax capacities to release new lenses is very limited. This is a problem for the 645D and it annoys us as users of the simple DSLRs, too. If they release a ff-body, how long would they expect potential buyers to wait for the release of a useful lens range?

Whatever Ricoh does with Pentax or the Pentax brand, I have no clue. In fact the product and marketing manager for Pentax Germany just told, that he has no further information, too.

Hasselblad changed ownership back from the HK Shriro group back to a European venture capital company, which almost immediately announced, they have no intention to change anything about the Hassy business or management team. Whether that is good or bad for Hasselblad I am unsure.

Ben
08-03-2011, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Well, your list only supports, what I have wrote: currently almost all lenses a full-format DSLR user would wish to have, cannot be bought from Pentax. Considering the poor ff-line-up, it doesn't make much sense to release a DSLR with such a large sensor. As we all know, Pentax capacities to release new lenses is very limited. This is a problem for the 645D and it annoys us as users of the simple DSLRs, too. If they release a ff-body, how long would they expect potential buyers to wait for the release of a useful lens range?

Whatever Ricoh does with Pentax or the Pentax brand, I have no clue. In fact the product and marketing manager for Pentax Germany just told, that he has no further information, too.

Hasselblad changed ownership back from the HK Shriro group back to a European venture capital company, which almost immediately announced, they have no intention to change anything about the Hassy business or management team. Whether that is good or bad for Hasselblad I am unsure.

Ben
It's probably been said before, but if only Pentax rerelease these FA, FA* and FA limited lenses as DFA*, we'll be golden. The designs are already there, it just needs a rehash with new coatings. DA 60-250, 100, 200, and 300 is already available.

FA 20-35/4
FA* 28-70/2.8
FA* 80-200/2.8
FA 31Lim, FA 43Lim, FA 77Lim
FA 28, FA 85, FA 135
FA 17-28 FE for good measure

The only new lens design needed is a 17-40/2.8.

I can only drool imagining DA 40/2.8 with a FF sensor

I know I'm just dreaming here because Pentax doesnt have the capacity to produce so many types of lenses at the same time, but just saying that it's not too hard, lens design wise.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 08-04-2011 at 07:32 AM.
08-03-2011, 02:05 PM   #109
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The FA ltd series already has the same coatings the DA ltd lenses have except, maybe SP on the front element (the 40 lacks SP). The FA 50/1.4 could be put into a nicer housing, Ghostless Coating on the rear, SP on the front then it would be on par + with the FA 35/2 which only needs SP on the front. The FA 17-28 could use SP on the front and Ghostless on the rear. Heck, they could do these things and call the 50, 35 and 17-28, D FA lenses.

Last edited by Blue; 08-03-2011 at 02:12 PM.
08-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #110
Veteran Member

When Pentax releases their FF camera it will have camera lens profiles to crop as much as needed on an individual lens at a given fl, not like nikons crap... eh. crop, this would be a better "Smart Crop" ASCII-tagged ,-:*|SC|:*-, on the body. Thanks to this it will be delivered in kits with 18-55 and 18-135 as we expect with a Pentax camera. I heard many on the forums say: "there will be no FF because it will cost XXX$ to develop kit lenses for it". Problem solved with ,-:*|SC|:*-,. Pentax need no new FF lenses at launch date, great!

Genious!
08-08-2011, 01:54 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The only other major manufacturers with mf lenses is Nikon with about 8 NIkkor including the 35/1.4.
That is incorrect. All of Canon's TS lenses are manual focus.
08-08-2011, 05:25 AM   #112
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
That is incorrect. All of Canon's TS lenses are manual focus.
Non the less, they still lack non specialty lenses (i.e. perspective control and 5:1) in manual focus. nice try though. Nikon also has 3 of those in addition to the aforementioned Nikkor mf lenses. The reason the perspective control are mf is the difficulty of af them. Canon screwed everyone over and abandoned their manual lenses long ago.

Last edited by Blue; 08-08-2011 at 05:31 AM.
08-08-2011, 05:52 AM   #113
Veteran Member

"Nice try"? Just pointing out the factual error in your statement, get over yourself.

As for Canon "screwing over" people, cameras and lenses since 1987 all work fine with each other; AF, IS, metering etc. 25 years of excellent compatibility. Yes, they made a break, but at least it was a clean one and not one of deteriorating compatibility and kludgy solutions. Sure, the FD guys missed out on going digital over a decade later, but I think by then most had gone over to the EF mount anyway; before then you could just keep using FD bodies for those lenses since the main feature of the EF system was autofocus anyway.

Compare that to Nikon; have a look at this lovely (and quite large) "compatibility matrix" where you can see which lenses won't focus, which ones won't meter, and which ones will literally damage your camera. Gotta love buying an AF lens that won't work on an AF body because they sold a bunch of bodies without screwdrives at all.
Nikon SLR Camera & Lens Compatibility Chart

Or Pentax, did they "screw over" the guys stuck with screwdrive only bodies by e.g. releasing the 17-70 which only supports SDM? Or how about only being able to use stop down ("green button") metering with older K mount glass? And the wonderful M42 compatibility, where you mount the lens to an adapter ring and use stop down metering, just like you would on a Canon....

Or is everything just dandy in fanboy fantasty land?

Give me a damn break.
08-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #114
Site Supporter

"Nice try"? Just pointing out the factual error in your statement, get over yourself.

As for Canon "screwing over" people, cameras and lenses since 1987 all work fine with each other; AF, IS, metering etc. 25 years of excellent compatibility. Yes, they made a break, but at least it was a clean one and not one of deteriorating compatibility and kludgy solutions. Sure, the FD guys missed out on going digital over a decade later, but I think by then most had gone over to the EF mount anyway; before then you could just keep using FD bodies for those lenses since the main feature of the EF system was autofocus anyway.

Compare that to Nikon; have a look at this lovely (and quite large) "compatibility matrix" where you can see which lenses won't focus, which ones won't meter, and which ones will literally damage your camera. Gotta love buying an AF lens that won't work on an AF body because they sold a bunch of bodies without screwdrives at all.
Nikon SLR Camera & Lens Compatibility Chart

Or Pentax, did they "screw over" the guys stuck with screwdrive only bodies by e.g. releasing the 17-70 which only supports SDM? Or how about only being able to use stop down ("green button") metering with older K mount glass? And the wonderful M42 compatibility, where you mount the lens to an adapter ring and use stop down metering, just like you would on a Canon....

Or is everything just dandy in fanboy fantasty land?

Give me a damn break.
Looks like you are the one that needs to get over themselves. The perspective control lenses did not change the intent of my original post. People don't purchase $2000 special purpose tilt-shift lenses for the manual focus. We weren't talking about screw drive AF either, we were talking about manual focus primes, i.e. 50/1.2 and 35/1.4 lenses. The only reason I point these manual Nikkors out is most people think that the only new manual lenses are those by Cosina/Voightlander or Zeiss.

How does it feel to be a Canon fanboy?

Last edited by Blue; 08-08-2011 at 06:16 AM.
08-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #115
Veteran Member

How does it feel to be a Canon fanboy?
I am very bad at it since I own Canon, Sony, Sigma, Mamiya, Fuji, Yashica, Sinar, and Zeiss cameras. But I am sticking with mostly Canon for digital because I have sunk some serious money into the glass, and it would be a lot of effort and cost to switch at this point. Not so much a "fanboy" as I am practically stuck with the system, though at this point in time I consider it very good bang for the buck for what I am shooting.

Considering a NEX-5 though, for light weight landscape shooting. Great little camera.
08-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #116
Site Supporter

I am very bad at it since I own Canon, Sony, Sigma, Mamiya, Fuji, Yashica, Sinar, and Zeiss cameras. But I am sticking with mostly Canon for digital because I have sunk some serious money into the glass, and it would be a lot of effort and cost to switch at this point. Not so much a "fanboy" as I am practically stuck with the system, though at this point in time I consider it very good bang for the buck for what I am shooting.

Considering a NEX-5 though, for light weight landscape shooting. Great little camera.
I understand the challenges of running more than 1 system for digital gear. I pretty much abandoned Nikon when I got the digital Pentax bodies to go along with my Pentax film gear. My other digital interchangeable lens gear is Olympus. I like the feel of the olympus e-p1, 2 and 3 but haven't convinced myself to keep that system as a light weight system. Film camera wise I have everything but Nikon. I actually have an EOS 10s (used to have an A2) along with some authentic macro fd-ef adapter and authentic Tamron EOS-m adaptall-2 mounts. The macro adapter words great for the FD macro lenses and FD bellows. As a matter of fact, I plan on getting an FD to K adapter and taking the glass out to use that bellows on my Pentax digital bodies and selling 1 of my 2 Pentax m42 bellows, maybe both of them.

BTW, what Mamiya gear do you have?
08-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #117
Veteran Member

RB67 with 90/3.5 and 250/4.5. Used to have a 645E which was a killer rig since it basically felt like an oversized 35mm cam with the grip. Also have owned a C330 (w/ blue dot 80mm). Wish I could justify buying a Mamiya 7 but I so rarely shoot MF these days that it would be very hard to justify having such nice gear.
08-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #118
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
RB67 with 90/3.5 and 250/4.5. Used to have a 645E which was a killer rig since it basically felt like an oversized 35mm cam with the grip. Also have owned a C330 (w/ blue dot 80mm). Wish I could justify buying a Mamiya 7 but I so rarely shoot MF these days that it would be very hard to justify having such nice gear.
I would not let my c330 go for anything. Not even a K5
08-11-2011, 02:18 AM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I knew Canon would do that, I shall never have bought my A-1. That's why I will never buy a Canon again.
If, as a student, you had spent all your money in lenses and then five years after you hear that you cannot use them on the new cameras, if find this outrageous.

Why not talking about the whole range of A, F, FA, FAJ lenses which we can use without stop down metering. (we don't need an electronic loop back to do that either).

Last edited by fs999; 08-12-2011 at 05:14 AM.
08-11-2011, 03:04 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Nikon F (1959) and Pentax K (1975) mounts are the only ones which didn't get discontinued with the introduction of autofocus.
[source: F-Bajonett ? Wikipedia ]

The Leica M (1954) mount is older and still in use too. But it remains to be seen what Leica will do if they ever support autofocus

Canon R (1959 - 1987) mount lived for 29 years when it did. The Olympus OM (1972 - 2002) mount lived for 31 years.