Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Anyone looked at this page:

GXR firmware / Digital Cameras | Ricoh Global.

Ricoh is a company that is very open in communication to its customers!

I notice that their firmware updates include actual upgrades and not just "bug" fixes.

08-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This Ricoh model looks interesting, but some I have problems seeing that plug and play sensors and plug and play---everyone's under the sun lenses---is going to be an inexpensive product.

and putting large SLR style lenses with a bulky adapter seems to defeat the reason for using
a rangefinder style camera in the first place.

I see the niche for a poor man's Leica to be that of a small box that takes really good pictures.
Now, I'm not yapping about full frame--- APS-C is good enough, bu there is something about a DA* big zoom and a Leica that simply doesn't go together.

OTOH, the LTD series of Primes..........
08-08-2011, 06:04 AM   #18
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
. . .
OTOH, the LTD series of Primes..........
That is kind of the main point not to mention many other compact Pentax and other lenses. for K-mount and m42, you would only need one module.
08-08-2011, 06:13 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That is kind of the main point not to mention many other compact Pentax and other lenses. for K-mount and m42, you would only need one module.
For that matter if Manual focus is your primary thing the m mount registration allows most any lens with an adapter
so even if the k module takes time to come there is the alternate of the m module with an adapter (or3 depending on how many different lens types you own - I have M,LTM,m42,k that I would use - the m is native , they have stated an ltm adapter would be available, now for the other 2 )

08-08-2011, 06:17 AM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
For that matter if Manual focus is your primary thing the m mount registration allows most any lens with an adapter
so even if the k module takes time to come there is the alternate of the m module with an adapter (or3 depending on how many different lens types you own - I have M,LTM,m42,k that I would use - the m is native , they have stated an ltm adapter would be available, now for the other 2 )
That m module will definitely be under consideration. Maybe I will make do with my e-p1 until it comes out. Its not like my ltd lenses have af on there.
08-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

nothing stopping them now except for the flange distance. M-mount is really close to the film plane (sensor), i think around 26mm, and its already adding extra thickness to the base GXR module.

K-mount is closer to 46mm, with the added dimensions of the detachable sensor/lens mechanism, altogether it would likely be deeper than a K-5, or at the very least the same size but without SR. at that point how much space are we really saving?

I'd still want to see them try to make it, the more things i can attach my Limited primes to the better.
08-09-2011, 02:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Agreed, the K-mount registration distance is an issue...

Unless they do a folded optic version as someone mentioned on another K-mount EVIL thread.

Add an integral 3 million dot OLED viewfinder (as is rumoured in the upcoming A77), and I'd be in camera heaven.

08-09-2011, 06:20 AM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Agreed, the K-mount registration distance is an issue...

Unless they do a folded optic version as someone mentioned on another K-mount EVIL thread.

Add an integral 3 million dot OLED viewfinder (as is rumoured in the upcoming A77), and I'd be in camera heaven.
Agreed on the integral viewfinder. Pretty sure I am not going to by any serious camera without a built-in eye level viewfinder. I'm sure I could live with an EVF for that type of camera since it's difficult to take out the mirror and have a TTL viewfinder. But I do love about an OVF, if only for the viewfinder dynamic range and minimal power consumption (great for battery life, only run the sensor when making an exposure).
08-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #24
Banned

Does any one know the difference in diameter between M-mount and K-mount? I wonder if it fits in the little box?
08-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Does any one know the difference in diameter between M-mount and K-mount? I wonder if it fits in the little box?
k mount is quite a bit wider if i remember (I'm not at home to actually just look) so no the adapter would stick out
external according to Wiki is 44mm, flange is 27.8mm

k mount i can't find perhaps someone who isn't on a work crippled internet can

edit the bayonet size is apparently "27.8mm Leica M bayonet mount" from Engadget

I know K is a fair bit larger diameter than that
08-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
k mount is quite a bit wider if i remember (I'm not at home to actually just look) so no the adapter would stick out
external according to Wiki is 44mm, flange is 27.8mm

k mount i can't find perhaps someone who isn't on a work crippled internet can

edit the bayonet size is apparently "27.8mm Leica M bayonet mount" from Engadget

I know K is a fair bit larger diameter than that
Well not the flangdistance, but the diametre of the K-mount versus M-mount. There isn't much room left so I wondered if it would fit, a Full Frame sensor in that little box. The difference in flangedistance is easily overcome with jus a tube the thickness off the difference.
08-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Funny!

What impresses me about Ricoh (I owned a GX100) is that you get the distinct impression that their engineers are photographers when you use their stuff. The DPR preview shows that the A12 module is filled with nice little touches:

- the ability to enter and save different lens parameters for inclusion in EXIF data
- multiple MF assist modes
- silent electronic shutter option
- no AA filter

I like the way our new overlords think!
No AA filter = color moire. Why do you consider this a good thing, especially when it is so simple to counter AA filter softness with capture sharpening? I just don't understand this aversion to AA filters. Manufacturers use them for a good reason, not because they want to irritate users who think that they cannot get sharp images with those damn filters in the way.

Rob
08-09-2011, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Perhaps a small bare bones body where you can customize the following as you please is in the works?

1. Want larger camera : attach on grips
2. Want smaller camera : leave it bare bones
3. Want FF sensor : just attach a FF sensor module
4. Same as #3 for APS-C, M, etc sensor modules.

A transformer camera for geeks
08-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
A transformer camera for geeks
And a larger version, GXR2, with room for MF sensors. Isn't 645D technology part of why Ricoh bought Pentax? Hay, take it up to 6x7cm!

Or even with the small current GXR, why not mountors with variant sensors in the Q-M-K mounts: square, portrait mode, pano, etc. Fuji sells pano film cams for Big Money. The revolutionary Olympus Pen-FT half-frame 135 SLR was in portrait mode, with an internal porroprism (like binoculars have), no bulging top. And square frames have been around for a long long time -- no need ever to change camera orientation, perfect for tripod work.

And not just the size and orientation -- variant sensor TYPES too: Foveon; filters other than Bayer; B&W or IR or other specialized spectra; etc. By separating the body from the mountor, the costs of all these variants would not be prohibitive.
08-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
No AA filter = color moire. Why do you consider this a good thing, especially when it is so simple to counter AA filter softness with capture sharpening? I just don't understand this aversion to AA filters. Manufacturers use them for a good reason, not because they want to irritate users who think that they cannot get sharp images with those damn filters in the way.

Rob
No AA hasn't hurt sales of Leica's M9...