Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #1

Good time to buy the K10d?

I really have not been following the assorted rumors of new cameras, etc. I have a k100d and really like it, but have been toying with upgrading to the k10d.

I , of course, would like to spend as little as possible. I would probably sell my k100d to offset some of the costs. So what I'd like to try to do is find the balance between timing to get the most for my used pentax k100d, and timing to get the cheapest price on a new k10d.

Or, should I wait for the next generation?

11-28-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jmbower Quote
I really have not been following the assorted rumors of new cameras, etc. I have a k100d and really like it, but have been toying with upgrading to the k10d.

I , of course, would like to spend as little as possible. I would probably sell my k100d to offset some of the costs. So what I'd like to try to do is find the balance between timing to get the most for my used pentax k100d, and timing to get the cheapest price on a new k10d.

As you can find out in various posts on this forum, the all time low price of the K10D is about now. It might get a little lower when the next model is introduced, however history shows that the need to maintain sales volume while waiting for the next model is a stronger push for the brands to lower their prices than having a newer model available.

Most people expect the new model to compete with the 40D and D300. Both cameras in a much higher price range.

You might want to wait another year or so for that product generation to become cheaper.
But then, there will be the waiting for the again newer models... You might end up buying no camera at all

Bottom line: yes, it is a very good time to buy a K10D.

- Bert
11-28-2007, 08:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I thought the right time was 11 months ago.

Bottom line is there is no such thing as the best time or even a good time. It gets cheaper as it needs to.

The K10D is a much more capable camera (I've used both) and you won't regret the upgrade.
11-28-2007, 04:01 PM   #4

Well I ordered mine on Sunday, it shipped today.

699 with a kit lens AND free shipping.

I am hoping to get a second one before they go out of production.

11-28-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmbower Quote

Both the K100D and K100D Super can be bought new for $370.00 today. That makes yours worth what, $300.00 today? The K10D can be bought for $520 including a 2gb card. That's a spread of $220. If one goes down the other will also so it's not going to get any less expensive to upgrade unless you sell the K100D today and wait another 60 to 90 days to buy the K10D for maybe a few dollars less. Do without a camera for 90 days and you might save $50.

You could sell your K100D today and due without a camera until at least March for the new camera that will cost at least $1,000.00. So it comes down to spending $220 today and have a K10D to use right now or wait until March or April and spend at least $700 out of pocket because your K100D will be worth less then than now.

Ken
11-28-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There is one good reason to continue to keep the K100D. It is fantastic for digital infrared photography compared to the K10D.
11-28-2007, 10:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Any examples?

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
There is one good reason to continue to keep the K100D. It is fantastic for digital infrared photography compared to the K10D.
That is interesting. I didn't know the k100d excelled in IR photography. Do you have any examples or a link to some k100d IR work?

thank you!
11-29-2007, 02:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

K100D's IR capability

QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
That is interesting. I didn't know the k100d excelled in IR photography. Do you have any examples or a link to some k100d IR work?

thank you!
I have a few IR images in my blog. Plus you can visit some images taken by a friend of mine who shoots a lot of IR [night86mare] Dreamscapes : A Photo Daily 2007 - ClubSNAP Photography Forums

Basically the K100D allows for much shorter exposure times compared to the K10D as the K10D has a strong anti-aliasing filter that cuts down on the IR sensitivity when using an IR filter like the Hoya R72 or Cokin, etc.