Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
I see where you are coming from Blue, but i doubt there are any regulatory hurdles to overcome here. there is no monopoly issues, Pentax is 100% owned by hoya who chose to sell off a division. Couple that with the fact that in Japan companies regularly share info with each other (groups formed around baking partners etc)
Keiretsu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In North America this would never exist and there would likely be regulations it is in contravention of. In Japan it is normal

Asahi Optical is part of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dai-Ichi_Kangyo_Group
Ricoh is part of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Group (Tokai)

So the oddest thing is that companies from 2 different groups have agreed to share a brand

08-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #17
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I see where you are coming from Blue, but i doubt there are any regulatory hurdles to overcome here. there is no monopoly issues, Pentax is 100% owned by hoya who chose to sell off a division. Couple that with the fact that in Japan companies regularly share info with each other (groups formed around baking partners etc)
Keiretsu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In North America this would never exist and there would likely be regulations it is in contravention of. In Japan it is normal

Asahi Optical is part of DKB Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ricoh is part of Toyota Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Tokai)

So the oddest thing is that companies from 2 different groups have agreed to share a brand
I understand that. I also think 3 months from the time of the original announcement to actual transfer is a very quick transaction. I was just pointing out why these things aren't exactly like buying a car where you go in and drive away the same day.
08-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #18
Pentaxian
philbaum's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Port Townsend, Washington State, USA
Posts: 3,659
Original Poster
Cheez guys, i'm not talking about constructing large buildings. But if you did need a building, one could perhaps have it designed in advance on Ricoh's dollar. But there are tons of small details like deciding who the managers and supervisors are going to be if there are anticipated retirements and resignations, etc. Deciding in what city they are going to be working on and start looking for appropriate quarters. Putting together a lens plan. None of this is very sexy stuff, but it can take a month out of the startup time. Deciding on what Ricoh and Pentax products to keep.
08-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #19
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by adr1an Quote
I was being a tad sarcastic - but I was also talking about Multi Million Dollar Developments too.... not tool sheds.... In many countries, my response to your question is entirely valid... and unfortunately is seen as 'sound economic development' at the same time... Remember.. not every country or economy actually 'functions' Above Board so to speak...

But dont get side tracked here... I was just being a smart arse in response to your question.... its not valid in the specific context of the discussion nor is it the 'japanese way' at all - so wouldn't happen...... not so sure about Economies in the general vicinity though.... But ultimately - just remember that not every country 'works the same' as say the US, Australia or other "Western" Economies. We are the 'odd ones out' so to speak in how 'we' choose to do things....
I was pointing out in the context of the original post that these transactions aren't like going in and buying a car where the purchaser drives away the same day. And frankly, the 3 months transition is very quick for such a deal. As far as the U.S. goes, I have seen what you described occur in South Africa and the beach development got dozed due to putting the penguin at risk.

08-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #20
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Cheez guys, i'm not talking about constructing large buildings. But if you did need a building, one could perhaps have it designed in advance on Ricoh's dollar. But there are tons of small details like deciding who the managers and supervisors are going to be if there are anticipated retirements and resignations, etc. Deciding in what city they are going to be working on and start looking for appropriate quarters. Putting together a lens plan. None of this is very sexy stuff, but it can take a month out of the startup time. Deciding on what Ricoh and Pentax products to keep.

Every here of an analogy that is what the building example was? 3 months is fast. Remember, the main business is in Japan. However there are many countries involved, Philippines, Vietnam, etc. I am sure there are already lens plans in the drawer. But it wouldn't be prudent to make an official announcement before it is official.Hysterical I am still waiting on that DA 1.4x TC that was officially announced in 2008.


Edit: With that said, I suspect Ricoh will be ready to go once the acquisition becomes official Oct 1. I think Canikon will be smacked in the mouth 3 times by mid-October. They will expect Pentax to come out rabbit punching and won't be aware of the horseshoe in the glove.

Last edited by Blue; 08-26-2011 at 09:47 AM.
08-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,270
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

Edit: With that said, I suspect Ricoh will be ready to go once the acquisition becomes official Oct 1. I think Canikon will be smacked in the mouth 3 times by mid-October. They will expect Pentax to come out rabbit punching and won't be aware of the horseshoe in the glove.
Yep, given the fierce rivalry between Ricoh and Canon in what is really both their Core businesses I think it could get interesting. On the copier end i get calls from both companies monthly trying to get us off Toshiba
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
contacts, equipment, hoya, oct, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, ricoh
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax official contacts s-tet Pentax K-5 12 06-15-2011 12:27 AM
Vintage Pentax Prices Circa OCT 1975 Pentaxor Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 10-25-2010 10:45 PM
PP Challenge #8 - Street scene (15 Oct 09 - 22 Oct 09) xs400 Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 19 10-25-2009 07:16 PM
PP Challenge #7 - Action (7 Oct 09 - 14 Oct 09) Ash Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 24 10-13-2009 09:39 PM
For Sale - Sold: Takumar A 2x TC with contacts. Teleplus 2x TC with contacts Peter Zack Sold Items 4 08-25-2009 07:49 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top