Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philippos Quote
It is the reason why ... Panasonic do not sell their DSLR sensors
so where Olympus is getting theirs then ?

09-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #182
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I admire your ignorance, I hear it's bliss.

I second the vote to remove the Nazi-flag inspired avatar. Tasteless and pointless. Like many of your posts, I might add.
Emacs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see Emacs's avatar here.... Why Nazi?
09-02-2011, 01:11 AM   #183
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
.... except that the NEX images look better there, Less noise, more detail.

I see more detail in K-5 one, mainly on the vinegar bottle label. But that's just matter the default settings. By turning the NR on K-5 to maximum, tweaking the sharpening, adding contrast, you can get similar ugly result of your preference on K-5 as well. But K-5 is targeted on advanced users that usually do not want so messed out of camera jpg.
09-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Actually you're right, enlarging to 300% view I can see a faint noise. But seriously I would love to know which camera does better? My K10D sure had noisy skies visible at 100%. But nothing that slight NR couldn't remove anyway. I can recall the D300 being also criticized for noisy blue skies. As I understand blue is always the noisiest channel, surely why high-ISO under tungsten is always noisier than in daylight.

P.S. I agree with others that your avatar is just tasteless.
All full frames I saw make this better

09-02-2011, 02:36 AM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
How does this guy relate to Emacs?
Wrong answer.
(added to ignore list)
09-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
.... except that the NEX images look better there, Less noise, more detail.

Then why is the small text on the rightmost bottle (K-5 shot) readable, and not on the Nex-5N one? Of course, this is a resized shot so this means that the K-5 shot has more detail to begin with.
09-02-2011, 06:10 AM   #187
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I see Emacs's avatar here.... Why Nazi?
Do you really want to look that stupid?

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Then why is the small text on the rightmost bottle (K-5 shot) readable, and not on the Nex-5N one? Of course, this is a resized shot so this means that the K-5 shot has more detail to begin with.
This comparometer tells nothing to me about the actual performance. I think DXO has the best tools for that. I'll wait for their verdict. Also it's most probable that the Nex-5N uses exactly the same sensor as K-5, D7000 etc so the performance difference will probably be very minimal.
09-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #188
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Also it's most probable that the Nex-5N uses exactly the same sensor as K-5, D7000 etc so the performance difference will probably be very minimal.
But with Sony processing ... So the performance will be more like the A580. Not extraordinary.

09-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Yes, you're right, the small text there is more readable on the K-5 shot. I was looking at some other parts of the image - in particular, the very top of the Hellas bottle label, there seems to be more detail, less blur on the NEX shot. I'm wondering if the differences might also be partially attributable to a slightly different focal plane, now...

By any respect, they are very close.

09-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #190
Pentaxian

Does NEX7 have in camera SR?
09-06-2011, 02:42 AM   #191
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Does NEX7 have in camera SR?
Unfortunately not, IMHO its biggest drawback vs. the A77.

The NEX can be done with SR, it would become thicker by about 5-10mm. A price Sony doesn't seem to want to pay.

This is why there are E-mount OSS lenses and at the end of the day, a NEX isn't exactly a cheap system.

Last edited by falconeye; 09-06-2011 at 02:52 AM.
09-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Unfortunately not, IMHO its biggest drawback vs. the A77.

The NEX can be done with SR, it would become thicker by about 5-10mm. A price Sony doesn't seem to want to pay.

This is why there are E-mount OSS lenses and at the end of the day, a NEX isn't exactly a cheap system.
May well be a deal breaker for some. Nothing is perfect, I guess. 5mm vs. 10mm . . . Big difference in my opinion.
09-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #193
Veteran Member

The NEX-5n with 18-55 lens (OSS) is $699...less than half of what the K-5 was priced at release.

Considering the feature-set of this new body, I'd say it is quite a value against the K-5.

Jason
09-07-2011, 01:51 AM   #194
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
The NEX-5n with 18-55 lens (OSS) is $699...less than half of what the K-5 was priced at release.

Considering the feature-set of this new body, I'd say it is quite a value against the K-5.

Jason
But NEX is just a toy, isn't it?

Seriously, I don't care about NEX or such camera for serious photography, because the body type (and extreme thinness) means, to me, it is so much quirky, almost unusable.

As for replacing serious P&S (e.g. my LX3), lenses are too big. m43 may do it, not even sure. Q does it on a size PoV. IQ it is too early to tell. Price, not way
09-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
5mm vs. 10mm . . . Big difference in my opinion.
I determined exact measures now.

The SR in the K-5 has a "thickness" of 7.7mm.

This is the distance between the main PCB rear surface (pointing to the mount) and the SR daughter PCB front surface (pointing to the mount too).

However, most of this distance is taken by empty space and a clumsy connector. IMHO, it could be reduced to 3.5mm (4.5mm easily). It wouldn't matter for the K-5 because the space is required for the viewfinder ocular (the "thickness" or space between the focal plane shutter and rear LCD surface is ~24mm, between the sensor CMOS and rear LCD is ~19mm).

Moreover, the main PCB would have to be fully populated double sided to make full advantage of the removal of SR. If the sensor remains on a daughter PCB (e.g., for purposes of precision mounting or testing), the required space would be 2.5mm anyway and SR would start to make no significant difference (1mm).

So, I'd say the extra thickness of a mirrorless required to host an SR is not significant.

I withdraw my reasoning that Sony left SR out for size reasons. Except of course, Sony didn't manage to get SR as small as Pentax did.