Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
The NEX-5n with 18-55 lens (OSS) is $699...less than half of what the K-5 was priced at release.

Considering the feature-set of this new body, I'd say it is quite a value against the K-5.
Really? Where is the viewfinder? where is the WR? But above all where are the lenses? If you want value wait for the next K-r.

QuoteOriginally posted by Falconeye:
I withdraw my reasoning that Sony left SR out for size reasons.
Strange. It was understandable for Samsung and Panasonic. But Sony owns the Minolta patents used in their DSLR. Maybe the size reasons but then it didn't help their kit lens as it's ridiculously big compared to the body.

09-07-2011, 09:04 AM   #197
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Really? Where is the viewfinder? where is the WR? But above all where are the lenses? If you want value wait for the next K-r.
My speculation : the K-s with the same sensor as K-5...
09-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
My speculation : the K-s with the same sensor as K-5...
I say early october on that event in Paris.
09-07-2011, 11:01 PM   #199
Veteran Member

Obviously those who will buy the NEX-5n will already know there is no optical viewfinder or WR. As for lenses, with the available adapters, the lenses are not an issue.

Jason

09-08-2011, 09:02 PM   #200
Veteran Member

The NEX-5n with 18-55 lens (OSS) is $699...less than half of what the K-5 was priced at release.

Considering the feature-set of this new body, I'd say it is quite a value against the K-5.

Jason
uh... right...

can't tell if this guy is serious or not.

that to me is like saying a psp is a bargin against a ps3
09-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #201
Veteran Member

Eagle,

If comparing size only, you would be correct, on appearances alone rather.. Look at the feature-set of both cameras. Both are feature-rich and both have some things the others do not (K-5 has WR, built in SR, etc, while the 5n has 1080p HD video with AF and full manual controls, 10 FPS, peaking for manual focusing, twilight mode which is a brilliant feature, etc, etc...). Both the K-5 and the 5n are very respectable cameras with the same proven imaging sensor. Both are capable of fantastic photos as seen by examples and real-world shooting, and both would be excellent in almost any shooting situation. One was 1500 at release, the other 700. The price alone could be the biggest differentiator.

How does one become a "PSP" and the other a PS3? It never hurts to step outside your comfort zone and actually take a closer look what other camera manufacturers are doing these days. And by "look", I mean read up and take an interest rather than just a cavalier scoff and silly metaphors.

Jason
09-09-2011, 05:45 AM   #202
Veteran Member

Obviously those who will buy the NEX-5n will already know there is no optical viewfinder or WR. As for lenses, with the available adapters, the lenses are not an issue.
Yeah, if the VF doesn't interest you and WR and SR are of no interest to you and you can bear using adapters I guess the 5n is a bargain vs the K-5.
09-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #203

The WR factor is a joke to me, where do you need it so bad? If you shoot in rain and water gets inside camera, do you think Pentax will change or repair your unit because is WR? I don't think so. And for the lenses, you have the DA* (and also got SDM with that) and 3 DA WR that are not so great. What's the problem in using adapters? I guess most of the people here have M42/Pk adapter, and use it. Some will choose K-5, other will choose Nex. Either will be the best for whatever their needs were at that time. Enjoy your K-5 and leave the Nex alone I would enjoy the K-5 also. Only if i would get it for free

09-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #204
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
The WR factor is a joke to me, where do you need it so bad? If you shoot in rain and water gets inside camera, do you think Pentax will change or repair your unit because is WR? I don't think so. And for the lenses, you have the DA* (and also got SDM with that) and 3 DA WR that are not so great. What's the problem in using adapters? I guess most of the people here have M42/Pk adapter, and use it. Some will choose K-5, other will choose Nex. Either will be the best for whatever their needs were at that time. Enjoy your K-5 and leave the Nex alone I would enjoy the K-5 also. Only if i would get it for free
Meh, though i think it's the first MILC besides the GXR that has interested me (well aside from the M9 which is technically a MILC), I couldn't imagine it as my primary camera. no OVF loses me. the EVF tech is still not there IMO. But I will say I like the way they integrated the EVF on the Nex7 (the other nex models hold zero appeal)
at the price I'd still rather have a K5 for now, and likely the K5 successor down the road at least as my primary. As a back up I could see the NEX though (But I still prefer the GXR concept and there could well be a Pentax GXR variant on the way judging by some recent patents for a sensor tech I saw the other day)
09-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #205
Veteran Member

Yeah, if the VF doesn't interest you and WR and SR are of no interest to you and you can bear using adapters I guess the 5n is a bargain vs the K-5.
SR or OSS is in the Sony optics...and a 3 inch LCD is plenty big for composing shots. Regarding WR...I don't have any WR lenses for my Pentax gear and I don't usually stand in the pouring rain to shoot anyway, so no....matters little to me. What does matter to me is traveling light since I travel almost continually and don't always have space for the extra weight on my person or in my bags. The thought of a much smaller body with very good IQ appeals to me (along with the huge price difference between the K-5 and NEX-5n, which is what my original post was about).

I never understood why so many people just pick things apart and look for all or any negatives in any products other than Pentax gear or the gear they personally own. I don't own the Sony, but I can appreciate what they are doing over there with their new releases. At the end of the day, any advances and improvements affect us all.

Anyway, I recall an old saying..."if I have to explain, you'd never understand".

Jason
09-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #206
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Its funny, because obviously there are a lot of people who like both the K5 form factor and the fact that it is weather sealed. I know that I do. I do quite a bit of hiking, outdoors type activities and it is nice to know that I will not lose my camera to a freak thunder storm. As to weather or not it works, yes it does. I have shot in the elements numerous times (with sealed lenses) without difficulty. There have been a couple of people who had issues with their cameras after shooting in the rain with sealed lenses and Pentax did go ahead and fix their cameras under warranty.
09-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #207
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The WR factor is important to me. WR bodies and lenses handle not only rain but also sand, dust, and salt spray if you shoot on the ocean. I would not buy a non-WR camera as a main body.

DA WR not so great? Thanks for a laugh.
09-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #208
Veteran Member

SR or OSS is in the Sony optics...and a 3 inch LCD is plenty big for composing shots. Regarding WR...I don't have any WR lenses for my Pentax gear and I don't usually stand in the pouring rain to shoot anyway, so no....matters little to me. What does matter to me is traveling light
The Nex is a good value but comparing it to the K-5 is like apple to orange. You prefer orange, I prefer apple even if it costs more. Now a couple of points:
- OSS is not the same as SR. You lose stabilization for primes with OSS.
- Composing shots with a 3" LCD... I've done just that with my Samsung EX1. In daylight it's always difficult to see, so for me the Nex-7 is the camera I'd want not another LCD-only. OK I could use my Hoodloupe, it works very well but it's a bit cumbersome to use it all the time with such a small camera.
- You don't need WR, fine, but it's a feature that costs money. It's like saying the K-5 is a better value than the D3x because you don't need 24MP.

For MY needs, the Nex-5n doesn't cut it. The Nex-7 maybe but I'll wait for more native lenses to appear. Adapters are cool but I'm not seeing myself trying to MF on a 3" LCD in full sunlight.
09-09-2011, 11:29 AM   #209
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kammerer Quote
WR bodies and lenses handle not only rain but also sand, dust, and salt spray if you shoot on the ocean.
Not to mention general humidity, which can get in at any time. Just sitting around the apartment in Japan my lenses would get fogged up in the summer, and that can take hours to get out of a lens even in a ziplog bag with silica gel. Moisture also enables mold and deposits crud on the internals. I'm much less concerned about moisture getting into a camera body than into the lens. Especially zoom lenses, which if not sealed behave like a bellows pumping air in and out.
09-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #210
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm not seeing myself trying to MF on a 3" LCD in full sunlight.
Absolutely. I've tried that on a NEX-5 and it isn't fun.