Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2011, 08:54 AM   #301
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
But the 20MP Samsung is made in Korea.....
Still waiting on a serious test of that sensor/camera.

10-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #302
Veteran Member

I am not interested in a a77 style of camera from Pentax. I really don't want any extra things in the light path to degrade the IQ and reduce the light reaching the sensor.

Now a Nex7 style would be interesting. Make it thicker (maybe even using the K-mount register distance) and place a large battery in it (one from the K-5 would be great). A metal body with weather-sealing will be great. Get the AF speed up to the speed of the new OLympus cameras. Then we are talking. A mirrorless ICL camera does not have to be super thin, with the lens on it it is not going to be "pocketable".

Dave
10-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #303
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Still waiting on a serious test of that sensor/camera.
Me too. Some Korean sites have posted some good looking 3200 ISO JPEGs, but JEPGs are not a good way to judge a sensor and you never know how much processing was done. The Samsung products have been slow to come to market. The rumored delay is due to Samsung wanting to exceed the performance of the Sony NEX-5N and NEX-7. Better EVF, faster AF, & better high ISO quality. I think the NX-20 and the new 85mm f/1.4 will be interesting. I have high hopes.

The new Fuji X series is also interesting. Fuji's promise to exceed the performance (IQ) of the current generation FF cameras raises a few eyebrows. The D3s is no slouch. Of course we don't know what size sensor Fuji will use. Fuji makes really good glass, so it could be another homerun for the company. There are a lot of wedding photogs who love Fuji.

I just hope Pentax is not asleep at the wheel.
10-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #304
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
But the 20MP Samsung is made in Korea.....

A large number of these sensors have already been made (A77 & NEX-7). I would assume that if Pentax or Nikon have a camera ready for Spring announcement that the sensors have already been shipped. Hopefully Pentax ordered theirs a few weeks early so they have time to clean all of the stains off of them.
Nex 7 is delayed supposedly (aside form any inventories that may have actually shipped before the flood - Amazon pulled it for this reason) and I imagine A77 it is the pipeline inventory that is available and after that it will be delayed

whether Sony ships or not doesn't matter to me much (though the Nex 7 holds some appeals) but i do worry about supply chain on Sensors for Pentax models (like oh say the K5) or any new models planned that haven't been announced (the kr replacement is pretty much past due at this point)

10-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #305
Pentaxian

Fuji's promise to exceed the performance (IQ) of the current generation FF cameras raises a few eyebrows.
I'm tired of such a bullshit. They just can't achieve it since the resolution capability of any EFR lens at APS-C is 2.25 times worse than one on FF.
10-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #306
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
whether Sony ships or not doesn't matter to me much (though the Nex 7 holds some appeals) but i do worry about supply chain on Sensors for Pentax models (like oh say the K5) or any new models planned that haven't been announced (the kr replacement is pretty much past due at this point)
I believe all Sony sensors are made in Japan, at Sony Semiconductor. That's another company than the company producing cameras.
10-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #307
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I believe all Sony sensors are made in Japan, at Sony Semiconductor. That's another company than the company producing cameras.
that's what i thought as well but apparently this is the plant

Sony’s Sensor Manufacturing Plant Hit Hard by Thailand Floods

the plant pictured is this one

.: Welcome Sony Device (THAILAND) Co., Ltd. :.

I imagine all pentax sensors come out of this plant as well. the D800 delay at Nikon is probably due to this as well

If you go to the plant's web page all they make is CMOS for cameras and CCD
10-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #308
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
I'm tired of such a bullshit. They just can't achieve it since the resolution capability of any EFR lens at APS-C is 2.25 times worse than one on FF.
Fuji did not say it would be an APS-C. They said that APS-C was the smallest they would consider for an interchangeable lens system. Maybe Fuji has finally taken their Super CCD system to a new level or moved the development of CMOS sensors farther ahead. They have been pretty quiet on the sensor development front. Fuji has always been an "outside of the box" company. Fuji can make their own sensor. They can not do it as cheaply as Sony, but they have capacity. I am hoping we see something larger than APS-C in a format other than 3/2. A sensor with the surface area of an APS-H sensor in a 4/3 format sensor and it would be very high on my list of interesting cameras.

What exactly is an EFR lens?

10-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #309
Loyal Site Supporter

that's what i thought as well but apparently this is the plant

Sony’s Sensor Manufacturing Plant Hit Hard by Thailand Floods

the plant pictured is this one

.: Welcome Sony Device (THAILAND) Co., Ltd. :.

I imagine all pentax sensors come out of this plant as well. the D800 delay at Nikon is probably due to this as well

If you go to the plant's web page all they make is CMOS for cameras and CCD
Sony owns a couple of sensor fab plants. I have no idea which plant makes what sensors. I think they bought a big fab plant from Hitachi a few years ago. They have plants that do sensors for video cameras, cell phones, scientific, point and shoots, & DSLRs.
10-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #310
Loyal Site Supporter

Sony owns a couple of sensor fab plants. I have no idea which plant makes what sensors. I think they bought a big fab plant from Hitachi a few years ago. They have plants that do sensors for video cameras, cell phones, scientific, point and shoots, & DSLRs.
I know, but speculation was the delay on the D800 was caused not by the Nikon plant flood since it's MIJ, but the Sony sensor plant (hell the iPhone 4s uses a Sony sensor too)
10-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #311
Pentaxian

Fuji did not say it would be an APS-C. They said that APS-C was the smallest they would consider for an interchangeable lens system. Maybe Fuji has finally taken their Super CCD system to a new level or moved the development of CMOS sensors farther ahead. They have been pretty quiet on the sensor development front. Fuji has always been an "outside of the box" company. Fuji can make their own sensor. They can not do it as cheaply as Sony, but they have capacity. I am hoping we see something larger than APS-C in a format other than 3/2. A sensor with the surface area of an APS-H sensor in a 4/3 format sensor and it would be very high on my list of interesting cameras.
I would want that in a top APS-H Pentax camera with big pixels.
10-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #312
Loyal Site Supporter

of course the issue with that is the apsH sensor manufacturer currently is Canon, and they are canning the line with the launch of the new camera
10-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #313
Pentaxian

I meant lens with certain EFR (effective focal range)
10-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #314
Loyal Site Supporter

of course the issue with that is the apsH sensor manufacturer currently is Canon, and they are canning the line with the launch of the new camera
Sensor manufacturers will make you want ever you want. Kodak made 4/3 sensors just for Olympus and Panasonic. Now Panasonic makes them. Samsung and Olympus have apparently had discussions about Samsung providing 4/3 sensors. What size/shape do you want? Samsung will make it for you.

A sensor with the surface area of the APS-H is a good size. 550mm^2 ..... I just don't care much for 3/2.
10-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #315
Inactive Account

Hi

Well, I bought a Sony A33 to replace my K100 and backup my KX as it can fit the M42 and adaptall lenses.
I must say that image wise it equals the Kx and the Electronic viewfinder is a miracle ! Have never missed focus with the manual lenses
and it is the size of the old film ones. No more looking down a tunnel using the Ome magnifier. Just press a button and get 7x clear magnified view.
Fantastic for macro.
This is going to be a debate like the one between film and digital a while back but the new mirrorless and Ev combination must be the futur, there is no
question in my mind.