Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 05:27 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Thanks for sharing.

Interesting how -- what must be assumed to be, since the article is by "anonymous" -- Michael Reichman poos himself about A77 features which are undoubtedly nice but which left him cold when he published his "K-7 hands on" opinion piece a while ago. Appears to be further proof that he never gave the K-7 a closer look.

N.B., he either cannot calculate or type; 24MP APS-C MP translate to 54 FF MP (not 45MP).

08-25-2011, 05:45 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Why would anyone spend much time looking through the viewfinder of any camera with a dead battery?
Actually I find it very useful to be able to see through the lens without having to switching the camera on,it gives you an idea of how the lens will "draw" the scene and find what composition will work. Another thing is that with high magnification macro work - the DOF is so small that simply finding the subject can be difficult so a real "live view" viewfinder is rather handy and it doesn't cost battery energy to run.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
How long does it take to put a charged battery into the camera?
As long as it takes to charge a battery after it has been run completely flat, unless you just happen to have several batteries to spare.
08-25-2011, 06:05 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
N.B., he either cannot calculate or type; 24MP APS-C MP translate to 54 FF MP (not 45MP).
The guy has not much credibility as far as I'm concerned anyway. 24 x 1.5 x 1.5 = 54MP. So FF is now behind as far as pixel density is concerned. Even with the rumored 35MP FF.

Another thing to not forget when comparing the A77 is that the SLT lose some light (1/3 stop?). Let's hope DXO will publish their results soon, it'll be very interesting to see how it compares to the "old" (yes, already!) 16MP sensor.
08-25-2011, 06:13 AM   #64
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I compared the A77 and K-5 jpegs over at imaging-resource, and I think the A77 still looks quite good at ISO 3200. But then at ISO 6400 it's simply disastrous, it has far less detail left than the K-5. Still, given what Pentax what able to do with the 16mp sensor, I wouldn't be surprised if they were able to use this sensor in a camera that will match the K-5 at high ISO, at least when images are viewed at the same size.
really?

converted from RAW - A77 and 60D

Sony has NR1

08-25-2011, 06:37 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Ah. Interesting.

(I didn't even try the RAW files, since I didn't know if I had a RAW converter that would work properly with them)
08-25-2011, 06:41 AM   #66
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
New question:

When the Pentax version doesn't have this sony system, but just a mirror that flops. That means more light going to the sensor. I think that Sony compensates for the lost light and powers up the sensor so that they use a different level for iso 100 then Pentax would do.

Would this improve Pentax image quality for the same amount of the lost light? That is 2/3th of EV? Making Sony A77 iso 1600 the same as Pentax iso 2500 with the same sensor?

Or did I totally lost my mind now?
08-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Would this improve Pentax image quality for the same amount of the lost light? That is 2/3th of EV? Making Sony A77 iso 1600 the same as Pentax iso 2500 with the same sensor?
I believe you are right. On top of that Sony used quite poor A/D converters and processing in their first batch of SLTs. So all in all Pentax with same sensor should have even better advantage.
08-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Looking at that Sony...I saw alot of Pentax touches. More so than anything from Canikon. Aside from the electronic viewfinder, it has some impressive specs. If Pentax were to disappear tomorrow, I would have to take a look at that camera. Good job Sony. I wonder how many ex-Minolta folks were part of the design.

THe Nex 7 looks to be a very good camera that I could be interested in. One of the main problems I see is that the whole Nex system currently lack high-end lenses. The new 24mm lens does look like something I would want and the fast 50 sounds good. otherwise not much in way of lenses. Who needs another slow 18-55 kit lens.

Dave

08-25-2011, 12:00 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
THe Nex 7 looks to be a very good camera that I could be interested in. One of the main problems I see is that the whole Nex system currently lack high-end lenses. The new 24mm lens does look like something I would want and the fast 50 sounds good. otherwise not much in way of lenses. Who needs another slow 18-55 kit lens.

Dave

Welcome to ----> The Sony Way.

08-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
really?

Sony has NR1
So the A77 is even worse than 60D? I don't think this image sensor will ever make it to K-5 successor.
08-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Does this hold true?

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
New question:

When the Pentax version doesn't have this sony system, but just a mirror that flops. That means more light going to the sensor. I think that Sony compensates for the lost light and powers up the sensor so that they use a different level for iso 100 then Pentax would do.

Or did I totally lost my mind now?
Just for some attention. Is this true or not. Since then we have to look very different to these outputs.
08-25-2011, 03:07 PM   #72
Pentaxian

Yes, the translucent mirror steals light but the camera as a unit needs to maintain the ISO to the external world. So while the camera behaves like ISO 1600 and reports ISO 1600, the image sensor works as if it would have been ISO 2500 on a real DSLR.
But I don't think this alone will be enough. The 24mpix imager still looks very noisy.
08-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I believe you are right. On top of that Sony used quite poor A/D converters and processing in their first batch of SLTs. So all in all Pentax with same sensor should have even better advantage.
The A/D converter is on the sensor itself on all modern Sony sensors. Sony, Nikon, & Pentax are all using the same A/D converter since there is no way to bypass it. All of them are applying some level of NR prior to the A/D conversion.
08-25-2011, 05:26 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Welcome to ----> The Sony Way.

But the lack of high-end lenses is also the Pentax way. At least under the Hoya ownership. The DA*30/1.4 and the "super-telephoto never got to market. Another lens the DA*11-16 never made it to market, but at least it was never on the Lens Road Map.

Anyhow, after seeing how camera makers don't always make a complete system I will wait until the lenses are on the market before jumping to another system.

Still the NEX-7 body does look a little interesting, which is te first time in a long time I can say that about a Sony camera.

Dave
08-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
the lack of high-end lenses is also the Pentax way
ohh yeah I forgot, pentax has no high-end lenses. I have to run off now and take my FA31mm f/1.8 Limited off my K7 and throw it in the bin...yup my FA*200mm f/4 ED macro is a heap of crap and it has to go as well,any takers for this big silver paperweight?