Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well sign me up for this K-3 with 24 megapixel sensor.
I think K2 like the second highest mountain would be fitting

cheers

08-25-2011, 06:03 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"any takers for this big silver paperweight?"
Tell me where the bin is and I'll pick them up. When Pentax/Ricoh finally makes hi-end lenses, I'll buy two for you as replacements.

Last edited by violini; 08-25-2011 at 06:09 PM.
08-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
ohh yeah I forgot, pentax has no high-end lenses. I have to run off now and take my FA31mm f/1.8 Limited off my K7 and throw it in the bin...yup my FA*200mm f/4 ED macro is a heap of crap and it has to go as well,any takers for this big silver paperweight?

Yes the FA31 Ltd is a great high-end lens and is still being made. I have one and love it. The FA*200/4 macro is no longer being made if it were I would have it.

Still no fast normal WR lens. Still not fast WR wide angle lens. Still no lenses longer than 300 (currently being made).

I really wish Pentax would reintroduce all the FA* lenses. Pentax use to have a complete lens lineup of high-end lens. No they don't.

Since you are offering the "big silver paper weight" I would be extremely happy to take it off your hands. Then again Pentax could start making them again.

Dave
08-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I'm using a quad core i7 3.4Ghz running @4.5Ghz and I still find LR not fast enough. 24MP is not going to help. It will need 50% more horsepower. Like I said elsewhere if ISO/DR is equal or better to the 16MP sensor, it's OK, if not, I have not much interest to slow down my workflow for no practical gain.
LR running slow is Adobe's fault. Aperture 3 runs super quick and you should see Final Cut X fly. Too bad I prefer LR3 to Aperture...

08-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #80
ogl
Banned

Sony A77: primeras impresiones y muestras

resolution is good, but the pictures are VERY soft for my eyes. Like high end prosumer.

http://images.quesabesde.com/camaras_digitales/noticias/sony_a77_dsc00563.jpg

all is like plasticine

And I don't like that Sony uses NR in RAW at all ISO of all Sony cameras.

Last edited by ogl; 08-25-2011 at 08:47 PM.
08-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The A/D converter is on the sensor itself on all modern Sony sensors.
I know the CMOS is supposed to be like that. But still there are huge differences between K-5, D7000 and A580 - they are all supposed to use the same imager. But the D7000 is very prone to hotpixels and the A580 is laggging behind with only 12bit A/D. K-5 made the most out of it.
08-26-2011, 04:39 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

As long as it takes to charge a battery after it has been run completely flat, unless you just happen to have several batteries to spare.

Why would you need several batteries? Do you only have one battery for your current Pentax DSLR?

Not trying to be argumentative, but the shot count per battery charge of +/- 500 isn't going to be a deal break for many people when you compare what the camera does and what it is doing when you are operating it. If I was faced at buying a new car and I could get a Toyota Prius and a Porsche 911 Turbo for the same price, I wouldn't be choosing the Prius simply based on the gas mileage per tank.

At the end of the day, it's good to see Sony pushing the envelop in some interesting directions as it benefits DSLR buyers of all brands eventually.

Jason

08-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Well, this technology is quite "energy demanding" anyway.

And i wonder if the EVF can be a significant life-shortener for the sensor, as it will be used systematically when camera power is on.
08-26-2011, 07:53 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Well, this technology is quite "energy demanding" anyway.

And i wonder if the EVF can be a significant life-shortener for the sensor, as it will be used systematically when camera power is on.
I think the trade off here would be the Sensor life, being 'solid state', will be infinitely more than the Mechanical 100,000 Operation Shutter we have already - which is also 'shortened' through using things like LiveView etc.

So in short - yes - theoretically longer/more use will reduce the effective lifespan - but it would still be FAR greater than the 100,000 Mechanical Limit on the current Shutter / MirrorBox OVF setup...

Net effect therefore is: Improved lifespan still over the Mechanical Shutter operation and Mirror Box of an OVF...
08-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #85
Veteran Member

But the shutter works correctly until the time it gets stuck. The image sensor wearing degrades the image quality. You see more and more hot pixels, more noise, more banding - all due to aging of the electronics. Shutter is quite cheap to replace but not the sensor.
08-26-2011, 08:55 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
Shutter is quite cheap to replace but not the sensor.
Have you seen the repair quotes for a new shutter mechanism ? "Quite Cheap" is not what I would class half the cost of a new body.. with only a 3mnth warranty on that cost... But hey, 'cheapness' is always open to interpretation.. I'm sure some people find a Leica "Quite Cheap"....

As for the mentioned 'sensor degredation' - They are fairly constant in reality - you actually don't see degredation like you propose.... But by all means - Happy to examine evidence otherwise... But I'm not hearing of people complaing about rampant sensor degredation on their 5 year old K10's or K100's..... And I'm definately more concerned about reaching 100,000 shutter before I would even dream of the sensor 'degrading'.... which given Pentax's repair cost, means that unless you pride yourself in making uneconomical sound decisions you have now got a Paper Weight.

Also - Your hypothesis would mean my Sony CCD based DV Camera would have 'self destructed' years ago... But given I purchased it in 2004 and several thousand hours later it still captures images just the same as it always does would seem to refute your hypothesis that a *Solid State Sensor* would 'Degrade' over time compared to the real mechanical end-of-life that the Shutter/MirrorBox presents.... Definitely not hearing any issues from users of DSLR's that use them to shoot Video on a regular basis (again no different from an EVF situation...)

Sorry - But I dont see "Sensor Degredation" being even a Remote Issue before the already 'real' problems of Mirror Box and Shutter *mechanical* Failure..... Unless as I said you can enlighten me on evidence of such "Sensor Degradation" actually occuring ?

Last edited by adr1an; 08-26-2011 at 09:12 AM.
08-26-2011, 09:04 AM   #87
Pentaxian

I compared the K-7 (the bad High ISO performer) with the A77 at ISO 1600. ANd I like the results of the K-7 much better, yes it is noiser but not annoyingly. But the A77 pics are just soft and not nice. SO I wonder if they will improve that on the production model
08-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #88
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
I think K2 like the second highest mountain would be fitting

cheers
I have a black K2 and a silver K2. They are excellent full frame bodies.
08-26-2011, 09:13 AM   #89
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I doubt that we shall ever see an SLT from Pentax.

We might see a camera with the same sensor at some point though. As always with Sony sensors it depends how far down Sony's customer list Pentax finds itself - Doesn't it normally go Sony - Nikon - Pentax in terms of access to new APS-Cs?
I think the idea is that Pentax may use the sensor, not the stupid see through mirror and EVF (energy vampire finder).
08-26-2011, 10:11 AM   #90
Veteran Member

This sensor density is obviously too high for the APS-C. Hope Samsung's 18Mp would be better.