Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2007, 10:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Demo Days - Houston

Well I went over to Houston Camera Exchange during lunch to check out the demo days and man was it packed with people. There was plenty of activity at the Canon/Nikon desks. I didn’t have time to even try to check anything out over there. The Olympus desk had one guy giving me the hard cell (pushy dude) nice stuff though; he had all their top new SLR cameras and lenses. I just don’t know about that 4/3 lens thing. The most consistent criticism I hear about it is the small dark view finders. With my eyes that’s the last thing I need.

The Pentax desk was just one rep, Sharon. She was standing there all by herself so I thought I should join her. I tried all the SLR’s the K110D, K100D, K100D Super and of course the K10D. I tried it out with the DA 18-55mm kit lens, the new Pentax DA 18-250mm and the Tamron 18-250mm. Pretty nice lenses. She didn’t have any of the primes though. I wanted to try one of those limited prime pancakes. She then brought out the new DA*50-135mm f/2.8 SDM zoom lens for me to try. Boy is that thing nice! Fast, quiet auto focus. If you have $1000.00 they’ll even sell you one. I may have to go back tomorrow take my time and check out all the other stuff Pentax has as well as the Canon and Nikon wares - just out of curiosity of course.

11-30-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, wish I'd seen this sooner. I'd love to go see some of the new Pentax gear. I just broke down and ordered the K10D. I guess I'll be offering up my K100 sometime soon as I can't justify 2 cameras. The DA*50-135 is making my LBA flare up. I see a lens firesale in my future so I can pay for this lens.

The guys at HCE are pretty nice and easy to deal with. I talked to the owner/manager once about Pentax and he said he liked it but he didn't push it too much since he'd been burned by other smaller manufacturers when he pushed them and then they went out of business. Obviously, those customers didn't come back to his shop to jump to the next brand. Basically, it's just less risk for them to sell Nikon and Canon. It was hard to argue with him.
12-01-2007, 09:12 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Wow, wish I'd seen this sooner. I'd love to go see some of the new Pentax gear. I just broke down and ordered the K10D. I guess I'll be offering up my K100 sometime soon as I can't justify 2 cameras. The DA*50-135 is making my LBA flare up. I see a lens firesale in my future so I can pay for this lens.

The guys at HCE are pretty nice and easy to deal with. I talked to the owner/manager once about Pentax and he said he liked it but he didn't push it too much since he'd been burned by other smaller manufacturers when he pushed them and then they went out of business. Obviously, those customers didn't come back to his shop to jump to the next brand. Basically, it's just less risk for them to sell Nikon and Canon. It was hard to argue with him.
I can understand how your LBA can get you all fired up. That lens is pretty impressive. It's kind of hefty but that is not surprising given the glass and the SDM.

One of the things the Pentax rep said was that with the new cameras coming out to replace the K10 and the K100D super will be "substantially more expensive". I think you did the right thing in getting the K10D when you did. I wish I could do the same.

I like HCE, they have just about everything a photographer could want. What you said about their position on smaller manufacturers makes sense. I just hope they keep Pentax around and keep some lenses in stock for when I get a K10D and my LBA hits me!