Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2007, 07:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
Is this the future sensor in KxxD?

Interesting to say the least but they say that the first sensors will only be available for sampling in the first quarter of 2008 (ie much too late for integration in a DSLR supposed to be sold at the same time).

KODAK Image Sensor Solutions - New KODAK Image Sensor Technology Redefines Digital Image Capture

Maybe a variant of this one worked jointly by Pentax and Kodak and hopefully already integrated into KxxD design.

Only downside is that this chip will require completely new interpolations algorithms and we might wait quite a bit until RAW decoding softs take it into account.

Is this old news or did I succed at generating my very own rumor thread?

12-01-2007, 07:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,260
itm ay be but this is just a tech anouncement, no actual product. So we can not conclude ahything from that.
12-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,471
it seems to be agreed that the new sensor will be a Pentax design, so that speculation is more or less over.

The k100d replacement having the 10mp sony sensor makes sense too, they will want to increase the mp and using that sensor means they can use parts from the k10d and it should be easier than integrating a new sensor.
12-01-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,260
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
it seems to be agreed that the new sensor will be a Pentax design, so that speculation is more or less over.
Not really, Pentax may very well have licensed the tech from Kodak and designed their sensor using that tech. And using that tech doesn't mean Kodak made the sensor. Those are just tech agreement and nothing else so anything's possible. They do have at least some relation with Kodak since Kodak is/was supposed to provide the sensor for the 645D.

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
The k100d replacement having the 10mp sony sensor makes sense too, they will want to increase the mp and using that sensor means they can use parts from the k10d and it should be easier than integrating a new sensor.
I think we can take this as pretty well given. They do not have access to the 12Mpix sensor from the D300/A700 (for now at least), 6Mpix is too low and I can't see why they'd come with an 8Mpix from someone else so there's no reason to speculate on that sensor, I totally agree.

12-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,260
Maybe that one?

Re: Talked to a Pentax rep today: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

12-01-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 4
I was thinking about the same

I was reading the interview of Kodak engineer who are working on this project. It looks very very promising and cool technology. This would solve the noise problem up to 2 stops. check this website:

A Thousand Nerds: A Kodak blog about innovation

move to the middle of the blog and check out the interview and samples. this is truly a big step advance in sensor technology.
I was really hoping this is the secret sensor that will blow everything away but they also mention the sample will be available Q108............
12-01-2007, 07:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
I saw posts on this Kodak sensor on dpreview a while back. Apparently it's quite old news, so I'm not sure it's relevant.
12-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arthurs Quote
I was reading the interview of Kodak engineer who are working on this project. It looks very very promising and cool technology. This would solve the noise problem up to 2 stops. check this website:

A Thousand Nerds: A Kodak blog about innovation

move to the middle of the blog and check out the interview and samples. this is truly a big step advance in sensor technology.
I was really hoping this is the secret sensor that will blow everything away but they also mention the sample will be available Q108............
Yes, I have looked at that.

From the samples, you can clearly see where are the bottlenecks in this technology: color bleeding at edges is humongous and jaggies are pretty bad but of course, these are pre-pre-pre release samples.

Still, it's interesting from a scientific point of view.

Interpolation and edge detection algorithms must be a thing of beauty for this baby

12-02-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
I saw posts on this Kodak sensor on dpreview a while back. Apparently it's quite old news, so I'm not sure it's relevant.
First samples should only be available in the first quarter of 2008 so it's not really old news... but it might be NO news indeed!
12-03-2007, 01:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Auckland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 452
What are the odds that Pentax might actually come out with an interpolated mp count? I mean, they've been developing it for a while so interpolation could've been on the cards when they started. It would mean they could come out with something in the range of 16-20mp based on proven 8-10mp sensors with half of that dedicated to highlights ala the Fuji S Pros.
12-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 346
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
What are the odds that Pentax might actually come out with an interpolated mp count? I mean, they've been developing it for a while so interpolation could've been on the cards when they started. It would mean they could come out with something in the range of 16-20mp based on proven 8-10mp sensors with half of that dedicated to highlights ala the Fuji S Pros.
That would be incredible! I'm seriously considering a Fuji S5 right now, since 90% of what I shoot these days are portraits - many of them in challenging lighting conditions. The DR of the S5 combined with it's excellent handling of skin tones & WB is very appealing.

Fuji's design is on a CCD sensor, though. I wonder how that would work (if at all) on a CMOS sensor? I don't know enough about it to even speculate. Would be amazing, though!
12-03-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Auckland
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 452
QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
That would be incredible! I'm seriously considering a Fuji S5 right now, since 90% of what I shoot these days are portraits - many of them in challenging lighting conditions. The DR of the S5 combined with it's excellent handling of skin tones & WB is very appealing.

Fuji's design is on a CCD sensor, though. I wonder how that would work (if at all) on a CMOS sensor? I don't know enough about it to even speculate. Would be amazing, though!
Its not out of the question and the main advantage would be that it would be playing into Pentax's lens selection.....turning a weakness into a strength. They would be king of the hill when it comes to portraits and studio photography not to mention landscape.
12-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #13
JMS
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 273
QuoteOriginally posted by switters Quote
Fuji's design is on a CCD sensor, though. I wonder how that would work (if at all) on a CMOS sensor? I don't know enough about it to even speculate. Would be amazing, though!
It'd work identically. Fuji's approach is based on the fact that a smaller pixel will collect less light- with any sensor technology.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
image, kodak, pentax news, pentax rumors, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will Sony supply the Sensor for future bodies? Reportage Pentax News and Rumors 10 06-22-2010 06:47 PM
KxxD and water goldenzebra Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 01-13-2010 10:23 AM
A discussion about the future - megapixels and sensor sizes Big G Pentax DSLR Discussion 70 08-12-2009 06:19 PM
Could a Fuji Film Sensor be in Pentax's Future? mithrandir Pentax News and Rumors 21 02-26-2009 08:46 AM
full sensor in the future? pete_pf Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 03-11-2008 08:21 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top