Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2011, 08:14 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Its full frame system from RicPen.

Full frame film scanner, printer, copier and fax.

09-04-2011, 08:20 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
"Of course, we have other new products to introduce to you, but we can't tell you more for the moment"
Thanks for the source.

Judging by the kind of shadow image used and that they removed it from the PDF, I guess the most likely think is an update to the K-5, using the Sony 24MP now launched by Sony in their A77.

Of course, the K-5 prime engine is not really fast enough to support 24MP but maybe they did something about it. Otherwise, it would be an easy upgrade Pentax will certainly do if Sony shares the sensor. And if, it would be now.
09-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #93
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
That's not true if we look at the past. Pentax always came later (sometimes much later like the *ist). It's only since the K-5 that they were on par with Nikon. In 2007 when announced their bombs (D3 and D300) Pentax did not react until Feb 2008 with the K20D. So why could they react so fast to the A77? Canon and Nikon didn't react yet. My guess is a K-5 update for early next year.

The one that HAS to be upgraded is the K-r. It's not competitive anymore based on features alone. They can continue the alphabet but... I think they should try something even smaller and cheaper. Maybe a kind of SLT? But I'm dreaming, it will be most probably a K-r updated with the 16MP sensor.

Maybe a new lens or two, that's what will probably be the most exciting Pentax release before the year's end.
That was also the era when the Hoya boys were taking over and they weren't really interested in photography. However, if you look back to 1999 and 2000, Pentax were working on a full frame dslr. If they had gotten a sensor worth a flip, they never would have bothered with aps-c early on.
09-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #94
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
Don't get too excited there is no K-5 replacement till mid next year.

There is something NEW on the horizon though.
The ball game as changed with Hoya handing off to Ricoh on Oct 1. I suspect Ricoh wants to make some announcements on something early, something in the middle of Oct and something around Nov 1. They don't like Canon. What those announcements will be remains to be seen. However, don't expect old time tables or patterns to hold true. I really think Ricoh wants to reset that "clock" and I think the need to do so asap.

09-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #95
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The ball game as changed with Hoya handing off to Ricoh on Oct 1. I suspect Ricoh wants to make some announcements on something early, something in the middle of Oct and something around Nov 1. They don't like Canon. What those announcements will be remains to be seen. However, don't expect old time tables or patterns to hold true. I really think Ricoh wants to reset that "clock" and I think the need to do so asap.
Ricoh wants to compete by speeding up the process.
09-04-2011, 07:18 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Thanks for the source.

Judging by the kind of shadow image used and that they removed it from the PDF, I guess the most likely think is an update to the K-5, using the Sony 24MP now launched by Sony in their A77.

Of course, the K-5 prime engine is not really fast enough to support 24MP but maybe they did something about it. Otherwise, it would be an easy upgrade Pentax will certainly do if Sony shares the sensor. And if, it would be now.
The PRIME II (is that right?) is certainly getting a little long in the tooth. A denser sensor would be an appropriate right trigger for a new imaging engine. I have no big complaints about it on the K-5 but I would be happier if the buffer cleared faster when shooting JPEG + raw. Aviation events often create unexpected opportunities and I've lost a few while waiting for the last series of shots to be processed.

I'd also vote for more programmable buttons but that's a different discussion. I suspect (with no professional qualifications to justify the suspicion) that the user I/O is coded deeply enough in the SW that it would be a significant piece of work to expose it for easy manipulation.
09-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
The PRIME II (is that right?) is certainly getting a little long in the tooth.
IIRC, the Prime-II came with the K-7 (May-2009). Oct-2011 would be 2 1/2 years later which would make sense for an upgrade, esp. with faster SDXC cards and contrast autofocus algorithms and not much else to improve in the K-5 (assuming EVF and FF and yet another AF is not on the immediate agenda).

So, let's assume a 24MP K-5 with prime-III whatever be its name.

09-05-2011, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #98
Inactive Account

M-6 is released:
Fujitsu Releases 6th Generation of Milbeaut Imaging Processors : FUJITSU SEMICONDUCTOR
Hardware info

so we will be getting Full HD H.264 and faster processing(more fps probably too)

just don't read too much into processor specs, since Pentax always got more out of those fujitsu CPUs than their specs said.
09-05-2011, 05:16 AM   #99

A GXR that takes K Mount lenses maybe?! Or, dare we hope, a full format 20MP camera?!
09-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 0144 Quote
M-6 is released:
Fujitsu Releases 6th Generation of Milbeaut Imaging Processors : FUJITSU SEMICONDUCTOR
Hardware info

so we will be getting Full HD H.264 and faster processing(more fps probably too)

just don't read too much into processor specs, since Pentax always got more out of those fujitsu CPUs than their specs said.
From the specs I got the impression they were talking about cell phone imaging processors. Not much is known (at least from Google) about these processors. But as Falk said there's good probability that newer and faster processors are around the corner and will be good enough for processing a 24MP load at fast fps.

That said I don't believe in a K-5 successor or K-5 super so soon. Maybe a new K-r or an intermediary level body are more probable. We'll see soon enough. Canon and Nikon still have to announce new stuff. I'm guessing a 7D mk II and a D400 most probably. Maybe new mirrorless systems but all traditional SLR makers seem quite reluctant to enter this market (for obvious reasons). Only Oly embraced it (did they have a choice considering the 4/3 flop?). Pentax seems to think it's only for toy cameras (Q).
09-05-2011, 09:15 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 0144 Quote
M-6 is released:
Hardware info

I wonder if the Q is using that since it has h.264 support...
09-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #102
Veteran Member

The alternative, of course, is twin PRIME II processors. I'm not sure if that makes sense with the new Fujitsu Milbeaut processor as the announcement spec sheet made reference to as many as five fps at 14 MB per frame. That would be a step backward so I think I'm missing something big. Par for the course.

As a note about multiple processors, it seems that the new Milbeaut uses twin ARM processors.

Neither approach will buy us much if the bottleneck in SW is caused by an application that cannot take advantage of multiple cores/threads. So once again I think I missed something. And once again I will wait patiently for Falk to put us (or at least me) straight.
09-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #103
Banned

Well with that new processor the whole electronic system has to change to make use of UHS-I writespeed. On the other hand that is mostly a new printplate with onboard the new processor and everything is again suited for each other.
09-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
That said I don't believe in a K-5 successor or K-5 super so soon. [...] Canon and Nikon still have to announce new stuff. I'm guessing a 7D mk II and a D400 most probably.
I agree that there is no big urge for Pentax to upgrade the K-5 if Nikon doesn't upgrade their D300 (D400).

From what I see, there is conflicting rumour about what Nikon is going to do. Some say that the D400 launch was shifted to 2012 because of the earthquake and factories being transferred to Malaysia.

OTOH, other sources see it launch Sep 21 when there is a joint "Nikon in White" event in Vienna and Milan. Which in turn would be in line with Pentax invitation for Oct. But then again, "Nikon in White" probably points to the Nikon Mirrorless as that one is more likely painted in white
09-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #105
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Which in turn would be in line with Pentax invitation for Oct.
I signed up for this Paris event. Have to organise my trip, but think it's a cool thing to walk around. Last visit to Paris was in X-mas 2000.