Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I signed up for this Paris event. Have to organise my trip, but think it's a cool thing to walk around. Last visit to Paris was in X-mas 2000.
Can you post info for us when you are there - maybe post here or on Twitter?

--

09-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I signed up for this Paris event. Have to organise my trip, but think it's a cool thing to walk around. Last visit to Paris was in X-mas 2000.
Shoot some pictures for us with your K-5 while it's still Pentax's latest DSLR...
09-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Previously rumored Mirrorless K mount...?
I'm with this they recently filed a patent for a sensor that reduces ghosting for a mirror-less setup maybe a pentax gxr as mentioned above somewhere probably the long rumoured apsc MILC

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&e...p%2F2011-08-11

"incidentally, the applicant of this patent in a situation that has become an adult HOYA, the engineer is like from Pentax. I would also be attending the Pentax. Q GXR Ricoh and Pentax mount unit, is likely to be used from the old lenses, I hope that is an emphasis on innovation."
09-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #109

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Has To...

Well, the teaser could be for anything, but to simply keep its market share, Pentax has to updgrade its two DSLR to follow what competitors have done. This means:

- K-5 upgraded with the new Sony 24 MP to match the announced Sony A77/A65.
- K-r upgraded to the Sony 16 MP sensor used in the K-5 to match Nikon's entry D5100 which is already available.

Pentax HAS to do BOTH but they may launch one at a time. As much as I would like the K-5 successor first, they may do tke K-r instead. The cool thing about a 24 MP DSLR is that it could exceed the quality of the A77 which loses 1/3 of incoming light due to its translucent mirror. The performance of should be more similar to that of the NEX-7 but I would except better as a bigger body should handle heat-dissipation better and could include more noise-reduction circuitry.

While they are doing this, Pentax could introduce some other innovations in the mix but given the short cycle they had this time, I would not expect much. The (still pending) acquisition by Ricoh is the wildcard though, so we may be surprised!

- Itai

09-08-2011, 08:52 AM   #110
Veteran Member

I still can't get the point of another one APS-C from pentax. They have cannibalized this niche with K-5. I can't see where they can improve thing without making body bigger. And, finally, it looks like 16Mp sensor is better choice for still photo than this noisy 24.
09-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #111

It's simple really: you have to "update" the camera every 1-2 years, or else the consumers will believe you are falling behind. Just think about how many users and potential users Sony has lost by leaving the A700 laying around for 4 years?

That doesn't mean you have to upgrade your camera, but Pentax will start having troubles selling the K-r when the K-5's sensor is now found in entry-level Sony cameras.
09-08-2011, 12:02 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WyldRage Quote
It's simple really: you have to "update" the camera every 1-2 years, or else the consumers will believe you are falling behind. Just think about how many users and potential users Sony has lost by leaving the A700 laying around for 4 years?

That doesn't mean you have to upgrade your camera, but Pentax will start having troubles selling the K-r when the K-5's sensor is now found in entry-level Sony cameras.
This is definitely true. However, if the same sensor that's in the K-5 starts popping up in "budget level" cameras, then who's going to want the K-5 because you can get the same sensor in a much cheaper body. Which means that Pentax better update the K-5 pretty quick as well (24mp???).

09-08-2011, 12:51 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
This is definitely true. However, if the same sensor that's in the K-5 starts popping up in "budget level" cameras, then who's going to want the K-5 because you can get the same sensor in a much cheaper body.
There's more to the K-5 than just its sensor. As a matter of fact I was using my K-7 more than the K-x even if it somehow had a better sensor.
09-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
There's more to the K-5 than just its sensor. As a matter of fact I was using my K-7 more than the K-x even if it somehow had a better sensor.
Yes, yes. However, not every consumer thinks like you or I...
09-08-2011, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No way to improve the K-5? I beg to differ.
  • assignable Soft Button and Soft Switch
  • configurable Soft Menu
  • switchable "catch-in-focus" that works for AF lenses
  • in-camera hyperfocal distance calculation
  • focus bracketing
  • improved P-TTL
  • faster flash sync speed
  • improved metering
  • non-crippled KA-F mount for aperture coupling
  • 110% viewfinder coverage with marked sensor range
  • 1.0x viewfinder magnification
  • tiltable back LCD
  • switchable low-pass (AA) filter
  • increased diopter range on viewfinder
  • user modes that remember all settings
  • a return to the superior K20D SD card compartment
  • dual SD card slots
  • ability to set dials to ISO in M mode
  • ability to add aperture information manually (as focal length)
  • option to not release shutter unless SR engaged
  • option for shooting RAW with fewer megapixels
  • tethered shooting with software access to camera parameters
  • lower iso settings: 50, 25... (or built-in ND filter)
  • full manual control and AF in video
  • put green button back on top panel
  • move LV button out of way of the other controls
  • and then stop messing around with control placements for no good reason
09-08-2011, 03:51 PM   #116
Inactive Account

K-5 improvements

I generally agree with the above list of possible improvements to K-5. What would be the best thing in my eyes, however, is to improve the autofocus implementation (speed and precision), reduce the size of autofocus areas, and maybe add a few autofocus points. This is the most important flaw of K-5 as a still camera. So, better AF, a few of the tweaks mentioned above and release a k-5 super.

I believe the change of the sensor can wait another product cycle, as the quality offered is indeed very good.
09-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #117
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marutinu Quote
I generally agree with the above list of possible improvements to K-5. What would be the best thing in my eyes, however, is to improve the autofocus implementation (speed and precision), reduce the size of autofocus areas, and maybe add a few autofocus points. This is the most important flaw of K-5 as a still camera. So, better AF, a few of the tweaks mentioned above and release a k-5 super.

I believe the change of the sensor can wait another product cycle, as the quality offered is indeed very good.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I truly wish PENTAX would implement an area AF system:

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
... an area AF system uses a dense grid of AF points, of the type used on professional cameras from Canon and Nikon, as opposed to more widely spaced points found on entry-level and most mid-range models.
This can make a world of difference when it comes to tracking AF accuracy and speed, and can improve performance in single AF as well.

--DragonLord
09-08-2011, 10:04 PM   #118
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
  • focus bracketing
I'd like all of the above (subset of your list).
In particular the 110% viewfinder would be nice.

QuoteOriginally posted by marutinu Quote
So, better AF, a few of the tweaks mentioned above and release a k-5 super.
+1

It would be really nice to get smaller AF areas. I don't care too much about the number of AF areas, but smaller areas would help with achieving precise focus.
09-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
No way to improve the K-5? I beg to differ.
  • configurable Soft Menu
  • switchable "catch-in-focus" that works for AF lenses
  • in-camera hyperfocal distance calculation
  • focus bracketing
  • improved P-TTL
  • faster flash sync speed
  • improved metering
  • non-crippled KA-F mount for aperture coupling
  • tiltable back LCD
  • switchable low-pass (AA) filter
  • increased diopter range on viewfinder
  • user modes that remember all settings
  • dual SD card slots
  • option to not release shutter unless SR engaged
  • option for shooting RAW with fewer megapixels
  • full manual control and AF in video
  • put green button back on top panel
  • move LV button out of way of the other controls
  • and then stop messing around with control placements for no good reason
Sounds like fun:
  • I like that dial on the Q that allows for quick access to custom modes. Just give the camera a 5-way dial for custom USER modes, so they won't need to turn the LCD on when USER mode is selected.
  • Bigger viewfinder... yes. Over 100% coverage... yes.
  • Extra low ISO... yes They cooked the K-5's low ISO, so it's possible to a point.
  • I agree with Improved P-TTL, but I'll one-up that and ask for TTL back as well. Or even better, there should be a radio-frequency trigger system in the camera that supports full communication. With that I'd drop the built-in flash. That will make room for the bigger viewfinder or the wireless electronics.
  • A dedicated video button and much better video options and control than the K-5. I'd like to see the standard 30/60fps. 25fps is difficult to use.
  • Tethered...yes. They should fully support it from a technical standpoint and release the programming specifications for it to the general public (eg. tethering that can change the focus for focus stacking). That would save everyone unnecessary effort. I'm sure quite a few people would write software if the specs were completely open and available. Maybe Ricoh is better at bundled software than Pentax though?
  • Completely covered in magnesium-alloy with machined and engraved dials/buttons. The K-7/K-5 back panel is plastic as well as the flash, dials, and buttons.
  • I like the "rule of thirds" focal points that Pentax uses. To augment that, maybe small clusters of multiple points could improve things. Say, each point has 9 sub-points and the side bars are taller and split up into 5 vertical bars.
  • A non-crippled KAF2 mount.
  • A more impressive battery grip. The internal battery should be accessible without removing the grip and I'd like to see more holding it to the camera than just the tripod screw. This is where I'd place the second SD card slot. The convertible nature of the K-7/K-5 should try to be followed. When I want something small I use the camera by itself. When I need more I use the camera with the grip.

I like a lot of your ideas, but I would personally not include a few for size and WR reasons. It looks like you are fond of the K10D/K20D more than the K-7/K-5, but I'm the opposite. Instead of a screen that moves, they should sell a screen that works perfectly with the camera (4-5 inch). I wouldn't want extra points of failure and extra bulk from that. As I mentioned before I would put the second SD card slot in the battery grip instead of the camera itself. Not sure I agree with the green button placement. The current location seems fine in my opinion.
09-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #120
Pentaxian

While we're talking about desired improvements, let me toss in my current wish for a Nex-like manual focus assist function in live view. Something that highlights the in-focus high-contrast edges.

(I think Ricoh is doing this in a recent GXR firmware update. Can we have it too? Please?)