Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 11:43 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And the winner is....Pentax GXR

09-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
What? The K-5 just came out last October. That's One year old!
Could be a K-5 Super. The K-5 seems so good to me (I only have the K10d) that I'm not quite sure what they could make better, though.
Better video mode with AF during capture would be an obvious addition to make it tick more check boxes in reviews - but otherwise?
09-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Couscousdelight Quote
Hi,
On the french Pentax website, you can download a invitation to the "salon de la photo" in Paris. (6 october 2011)
Here is a screenshot of the invitation :

Le Pentax ???
The translation of the text below the camera is : "Of course, we have other new products to introduce to you, but we can't tell you more for the moment"

Regards,
Arno
See Invitations gratuites pour le Salon de la photo 2011 - Actualités - PENTAX Europe Imaging Systems for the source of the invitation. The link to the PDF file is at the bottom of the page.

--DragonLord
09-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was told its a full-frame.

09-02-2011, 12:24 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
I was told its a full-frame.
- source?

--DragonLord
09-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

or a new concept called "half-full-frame"
09-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Previously rumored Mirrorless K mount...?

09-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #38
Forum Member

If there is going to be a new release, the history of Pentax release schedule would indicate it to be a low end product. On the other hand, one key issue here is the avaiability of the new Sony 24Mp sensor. Nikon will certainly announce a product using it soon, Sony already has, and if Pentax tries to compete with a 16Mp model, it's not going to go well, not because of image quality issues, but because of psycological issues - 24 is a lot more than 16. It just feels so much better. So Pentax needs a 24Mp model. From practical point of view - it is likely that making a updated version of K-5 with the new Sony sensor is not be a major engineering problem, so I imagine they may well release K*5 - a K-5 with different sensor, but not really many/any other differences.
09-02-2011, 02:31 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Could be a K-5 Super. The K-5 seems so good to me (I only have the K10d) that I'm not quite sure what they could make better, though.
Better video mode with AF during capture would be an obvious addition to make it tick more check boxes in reviews - but otherwise?
Well, apart from the sensor, I honestly can't see what else they could cram into a K5-sized body... Maybe an integrated GPS?

All I can think about are firmware improvements...

Liveview and Contrast AF could certainly be improved... Comparing the K7 or even K5 with a Samsung NX100 (same sensor as K7, BTW) does not go in favor of the big guns, believe me!
Video would be a definite area for improvements, but I don't really care about AF-C in video... A focus help of some sort would be welcome while recording, either with focus peak (a la Sony) or a focus bar (a la Samsung NX).

AF and burst are already really good... Maybe AF-C, as it's in no way predictive (but I'm afraid this would require a complete overhaul of the lens line, as I believe the weak link here is how the body and lens communicates to attain proper focus)...

At the end of the day, the K5 spoiled me so much my only dream would now be a 24x36 sensor...
09-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #40

Whatever this camera is, has nothing to do with Ricoh, so it's in Hoya pipeline for some time now. Could be a K-r with k-5 sensor or the "other" mirrorless camera. I tend more to believe it's the "new" k-r. Ricoh anyway won't be present at that event.
09-02-2011, 02:48 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StepOne Quote
Whatever this camera is, has nothing to do with Ricoh, so it's in Hoya pipeline for some time now. Could be a K-r with k-5 sensor or the "other" mirrorless camera. I tend more to believe it's the "new" k-r. Ricoh anyway won't be present at that event.
Since Pentax will be owned by Ricoh at that time, then in a sense they will be present.
09-02-2011, 03:13 AM   #42
Veteran Member

In some ways I think if Pentax are ever going to go FF (which I personally don't think is actually a given) I think that they may actually be better off going with a mirrorless FF.

If the market for DSLRs is going to concentrate at the high-end and mid-low end DSLR slowly transform into the mirrorless market then I think Pentax has a better competitive edge against Panasonic, Olympus, Sony and Samsung than against Nikon and Canon in DSLRs - especially if Pentax can implement a FF mirrorless that isn't *too* much more expensive than the others then they can produce a unique offering.

I guess it all depends on Ricoh's long term plans.
09-02-2011, 03:22 AM   #43
Site Supporter

If it is a K5 upgrade, and they iron out the issues they had with it, then my K20 will be on shaky ground.
On the other hand, may wait for 6 months or so after the new model release to see if there are any issues with it.
09-02-2011, 03:30 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aku Ankka Quote
If there is going to be a new release, the history of Pentax release schedule would indicate it to be a low end product. On the other hand, one key issue here is the avaiability of the new Sony 24Mp sensor. Nikon will certainly announce a product using it soon, Sony already has, and if Pentax tries to compete with a 16Mp model, it's not going to go well, not because of image quality issues, but because of psycological issues - 24 is a lot more than 16. It just feels so much better. So Pentax needs a 24Mp model. From practical point of view - it is likely that making a updated version of K-5 with the new Sony sensor is not be a major engineering problem, so I imagine they may well release K*5 - a K-5 with different sensor, but not really many/any other differences.
A likely scenario indeed. In addition they could make a model below this one using the current K-5 sensor....

But it might just be a new entry level model...
09-02-2011, 03:33 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
If the market for DSLRs is going to concentrate at the high-end and mid-low end DSLR slowly transform into the mirrorless market then I think Pentax has a better competitive edge against Panasonic, Olympus, Sony and Samsung than against Nikon and Canon in DSLRs - especially if Pentax can implement a FF mirrorless that isn't *too* much more expensive than the others then they can produce a unique offering..
There are no sign this is happening or indeed any reason for it to happen. Nikon and Canon are reporting record sales of DSLR's in spite of mirrorless.
Ricoh is interested in Pentax because of their DSLR's and see a great potential.....