Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
While we're talking about desired improvements, let me toss in my current wish for a Nex-like manual focus assist function in live view. Something that highlights the in-focus high-contrast edges.

(I think Ricoh is doing this in a recent GXR firmware update. Can we have it too? Please?)
You mean 'peaking'? It does look interesting.

09-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Yes, peaking. For some irrational reason I don't like the term, but I should have used it anyway!
09-09-2011, 07:49 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
No way to improve the K-5? I beg to differ.
  • assignable Soft Button and Soft Switch
  • configurable Soft Menu
  • switchable "catch-in-focus" that works for AF lenses
  • in-camera hyperfocal distance calculation
  • focus bracketing
  • improved P-TTL
  • faster flash sync speed
  • improved metering
  • non-crippled KA-F mount for aperture coupling
  • 110% viewfinder coverage with marked sensor range
  • 1.0x viewfinder magnification
  • tiltable back LCD
  • switchable low-pass (AA) filter
  • increased diopter range on viewfinder
  • user modes that remember all settings
  • a return to the superior K20D SD card compartment
  • dual SD card slots
  • ability to set dials to ISO in M mode
  • ability to add aperture information manually (as focal length)
  • option to not release shutter unless SR engaged
  • option for shooting RAW with fewer megapixels
  • tethered shooting with software access to camera parameters
  • lower iso settings: 50, 25... (or built-in ND filter)
  • full manual control and AF in video
  • put green button back on top panel
  • move LV button out of way of the other controls
  • and then stop messing around with control placements for no good reason

Excellent list of things that would be an improvement over the K-5. I would love to see each one on a camera.

I would add the following:
- 1.2X viewfinder magification, but 1.0X would be ok too.
- Spot AF. Maybe have 5 spot AF points (center and the 1/3 intersections) in addition to the normal 11 area AF points.
- Better AF, especially when it cames to tracking
- built in radion control of remote flashes.

I totally agree with about the placement of the Liveview button. It should be moved slightly away from the 4-way bottons. I have over 10,000 shots on my K-7 and over 3,000 shots on my two K-5's and I still accidently push the Liveview button when I was really trying to move the focus botton to the left or up.

We cam aways hope.

Dave
09-10-2011, 04:43 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No way to improve the K-5? I beg to differ.
  • assignable Soft Button and Soft Switch
  • configurable Soft Menu
  • switchable "catch-in-focus" that works for AF lenses
  • in-camera hyperfocal distance calculation
  • focus bracketing
  • improved P-TTL
  • faster flash sync speed
  • improved metering
  • non-crippled KA-F mount for aperture coupling
  • 110% viewfinder coverage with marked sensor range
  • 1.0x viewfinder magnification
  • tiltable back LCD
  • switchable low-pass (AA) filter
  • increased diopter range on viewfinder
  • user modes that remember all settings
  • a return to the superior K20D SD card compartment
  • dual SD card slots
  • ability to set dials to ISO in M mode
  • ability to add aperture information manually (as focal length)
  • option to not release shutter unless SR engaged
  • option for shooting RAW with fewer megapixels
  • tethered shooting with software access to camera parameters
  • lower iso settings: 50, 25... (or built-in ND filter)
  • full manual control and AF in video
  • put green button back on top panel
  • move LV button out of way of the other controls
  • and then stop messing around with control placements for no good reason
A good list but almost none that would make me upgrade except maybe the tiltable LCD. That's mostly a tweaking list. I'm not saying that I don't want them. A good example of a simple tweak I loved when going from K-7 to K-5: the ISO is now displayed below the picture. Now if they could also put the focal length, there is sure enough place for it.

I agree that the button placement on the K-7/K-5 is not that great compared to K10D/K20D. Some of the changes were not for the better. The LV button is stupidly placed. And I'd like it to be reconfigurable as a video record button, I'm sick of having to turn the dial to take a simple clip.

Maybe the areas where I'd like to see improvements are:
- the sensor: less purple fringing (the Samsung sensor was better at this) and of course more resolution, better high ISO, DR and colors wouldn't hurt if possible.
- AF: better accuracy in low-light, faster, more points, smaller points, etc
- Liveview: much better accuracy on magnification when doing MF.

09-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am glad to see the responses to my list. I remember the times when it got nothing but negative comments along the lines of "how dare you imply the K-5 is not perfect!". Not all of these items are critically important to me; I agree that some are mere tweaks. But a small tweak can make a huge difference in usability. Ergonomics and usability is where Pentax shines; I would hate to see them rest on their laurels.

Yes, I do prefer the K20D button placement and have not upgraded from that camera. That is mostly a matter of personal finances but I do have a K-x that goes unused. Also when I have used the K-5 the arbitrary changes have annoyed me. On the other hand I prefer the K-5 form factor. I don't think any of these changes require the camera to become any larger. For example, I don't agree that the tilt screen would significant bulk or likelihood of failure. How many tilt screens fail on those cameras that have them?

On the other hand, this feature provides marvellous functionality. I would so love to be able to shoot from the waist. Or above a crowd while framing properly.

One thing that is definitely not on the list is improved high ISO noise reduction. I believe cameras are going in the wrong direction, sacrificing base ISO performance in order to chase higher and higher ISOs. There's too much default in-camera processing that cannot be turned off. If I wanted smeared images out of the camera I'd buy some bigger brand.
09-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #126
Veteran Member

On the other hand, this feature provides marvellous functionality. I would so love to be able to shoot from the waist. Or above a crowd while framing properly.

Shooting from waist is one thing I love the most.
09-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #127
Veteran Member

While it's not a camera, but want I want, more than anything is a better Pentax speedlight / Nikon CLS comparable remote flash system. Compared to an SB-800, the 540 feels like a plastic toy.

09-10-2011, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
Compared to an SB-800, the 540 feels like a plastic toy.
Plastic toy? The 540 hardly looks a toy here. It looks a veritable monster.
It's all a matter of perspective I guess.

09-10-2011, 07:17 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's the single most important item for which I would upgrade my K-5. I don't think it adds so much bulk, it's now incorporated on the T3i and the D5100 which are not big cameras. Many times I find difficult to get the angle I want to shoot. OTOH they are not so easy to use in sunlight. I have the Samsung EX1 which I choose exactly because it's the only advanced compact with that feature.
09-11-2011, 02:49 AM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
That's the single most important item for which I would upgrade my K-5.
I'm not sure actually. Many tilt-screen cameras have emerged, esp. in the entry level. But is it the best road?

I have a wireless Hähnel trigger with its own rear LCD and it works really well. You have the half press and all the info you have on the camera's rear screen, incl. the LV image in LV. You can even use the half press to focus remotely.

It is a much more rewarding way to compose than a camera's tilt screen which solves some difficult situations; but not as many as the Hähnel.

However, the Hänel transmitter is too big (with its own webcam) to make the Hähnel solution as versatile as a tilt screen. So, this is my suggestion to Pentax:

Rather than a tilt screen, add an internal remote screen transmitter to the camera.

And offer a remote screen with full rear screen resolution (and in different sizes and larger ones with a hot show mount) and with the shutter (half press) button but also a dial and 2 buttons to control aperture/speed/iso. The shutter half press should awake the camera into LV what the Hähnel does not.

I figure such a wireless screen is a much more innovative solution and better for Pentax than a Me Too tilt screen.

Last edited by falconeye; 09-11-2011 at 05:02 AM.
09-11-2011, 04:39 AM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I'm not sure actually. Many tilt-screen cameras have emerged, esp. in the entry level. But is it the best road?

I have a wireless Hähnel trigger with its own rear LCD and it works really well. You have the half press and all the info you have on the camera's rear screen, incl. the LV image in LV. You can even use the half press to focus remotely.
It's nice enough but you need two hands to use that. I'm sure there is some great use with it. But for my K-5 I'm thinking more about something like the Liliput 5" monitor. Attached to the hot shoe with a small ballhead it could work well enough. But all these solutions are not integrated and need batteries, cables, etc. A tilt-screen is always with you and you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

Another issue is that the HDMI only output 480p resolution. So for the next K-5 update they should upgrade the output resolution to full HD 1080p.

I'm not sure I want a transmitter for that in my camera.
09-11-2011, 05:25 AM   #132
Pentaxian

This thread turned a bit into a "Dear Pentax" thread, so here are my two cents:

Cent #1: As an addition to Robin's list, allow full manual control of the top LCD illumination.

Cent #2: Empower the camera to control power settings of off-camera flashes. Do not only allow a photographer to turn single off-camera flashes on and off individually, but also let the photographer set power levels (manual levels and/or exposure compensation values) for each of the off-camera flashes.

A remote master control panel that is used as a detachable tilt-swivel display, should also include the capability to control the flash settings.

I don't understand why no camera manufacturer (I know of) has implemented such a system yet. It would not only make shooting with off-camera flash more of a breeze, but would also help to sell proprietary flashes.
09-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I'm not sure I want a transmitter for that in my camera.
Why not? I'm sure one day all cameras will have it, so why not innovate a bit?

There even is a standard for this (Wireless-HD) with Sony being part of the standardization body. I expect a future NEX to support it. It allows to drive TVs wirelessly as well. There is a profile for mobile phones and digital cameras explicitely (<300mW).

So, why should Pentax be a follower again? Tilted screens are so 2010-ish

Last edited by falconeye; 09-11-2011 at 05:38 AM.
09-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't understand why no camera manufacturer (I know of) has implemented such a system yet. It would not only make shooting with off-camera flash more of a breeze, but would also help to sell proprietary flashes.
This is a good suggestion.

I guess it is not done because of the diversity in studio flash controllers out there. Below is one with amazing capabilities, plugged onto the camera's hot shoe.

You really would need a standardized app framework (like iOS) with touchscreen and a transmitter standard like bluetooth. Or do your proprietary thing most pros wouldn't be able to use in the studio.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-23-2012 at 03:12 AM.
09-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #135
Veteran Member

Several things would like to see improvement on my K5:

1. Have a button to switch between the AF point using the four way button and AW, timer etc, instead of the current holding the OK button to switch! This is single most annoying thing on the K5 compare to my K200;
2. Allow full manual video control (Pentax have this in the Q) - this can be done through firmware update.
3. Put back the shake reduction on/off button! its useful! (its on the K200!);
4. Have a hybrid battery design like the K-r (dedicated battery + AA w/ holder);

Lee