Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
So, why should Pentax be a follower again? Tilted screens are so 2010-ish
Well, then they're a year and a half behind and had better catch up!

Nothing wrong with a transmitter, but a tilt screen is so much more useful for hand-held operations. I can safely say I'd own a K-5 now if it had one, plus a few other simple ergonomic fixes.

09-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #137
Veteran Member

This is a good suggestion.
I guess it is not done because of the diversity in studio flash controllers...
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Cent #2: Empower the camera to control power settings of off-camera flashes. Do not only allow a photographer to turn single off-camera flashes on and off individually, but also let the photographer set power levels (manual levels and/or exposure compensation values) for each of the off-camera flashes.

I don't understand why no camera manufacturer (I know of) has implemented such a system yet. It would not only make shooting with off-camera flash more of a breeze, but would also help to sell proprietary flashes.
In my wish list I mentioned that for advanced cameras, Pentax should get rid of the built-in pop-up flash and replace it with an internal RF wireless system that has full communication capabilities. Being able to control wireless flash(s) power should be a key feature of the system. If you are shooting 300 feet away from your subject, being able to adjust power from the camera would be ideal. I like your idea of having an optional add-on panel to make setting changes faster.

Having such a seamless integrated system like that with the benefits of long range communication using RF would be a big draw to the Pentax system for pro work. I really think a feature like that could almost be a game changer that puts Pentax cameras in front of the eyes of pros and anyone else who uses wireless flash in an advanced way. Besides the flash units that support the RF spec. internally, there could be add-on units that convert any old flash unit to the system (to a degree..at least triggering, but current day P-TTL units should still be controllable I would think).

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Several things would like to see improvement on my K5:

1. Have a button to switch between the AF point using the four way button and AW, timer etc, instead of the current holding the OK button to switch! This is single most annoying thing on the K5 compare to my K200;
2. Allow full manual video control (Pentax have this in the Q) - this can be done through firmware update.
3. Put back the shake reduction on/off button! its useful! (its on the K200!);
4. Have a hybrid battery design like the K-r (dedicated battery + AA w/ holder);

Lee
I agree, the SR switch was an aspect I liked a lot from the K10/K20 series. Yeah, the AF point is is a pain to deal with...

I don't think having a hybrid battery system in a higher level camera is possible unless the camera is compromised from a size standpoint. The K-5/K-7 need 6 AA batteries to run and I would guess an advanced camera might need even more. I would suggest just buying a battery grip for the K-5 because it comes with a tray for 6 AA batteries. I've never actually used my AA battery tray because I just have a few backup batteries and the K-5/K-7 generally have good battery life. So if you are traveling with the K-5, I'd suggest bringing along the grip and AA tray.
09-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
Having such a seamless integrated system like that with the benefits of long range communication using RF would be a big draw to the Pentax system for pro work. I really think a feature like that could almost be a game changer that puts Pentax cameras in front of the eyes of pros and anyone else who uses wireless flash in an advanced way.
Yes, I agree.

Pentax could enter a symbiotic relationship with a strobe manufacturer that has has an existing radio control system in place, such as Elinchrome, and use the existing system to not only control the strobes, but also Pentax flashes.

If the in-camera control of studio strobes would simplify shooting considerably, I could imagine some studios to switch to using Pentax cameras. In the studio, cameras (and to a large extent lenses as well) don't matter much so anything that speeds up the workflow should be acceptable.

Of course, this brings up the old story of Pentax's lack of tethering support. Independent software developer solutions may be fine, but native Lightroom support would be better.
09-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #139
Pentaxian

Below is one with amazing capabilities, plugged onto the camera's hot shoe.
Looks interesting. Would be great to have access to the same functionality by just using the back LCD of the camera. This would either reduce the form factor of using the camera or free up the hot-shoe for a fill flash.

In the studio it wouldn't matter, but I reckon outdoors (e.g., wedding photographers with elaborate light setups) a camera-integrated system would be very welcome.

09-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #140
Veteran Member

In the studio it wouldn't matter, but I reckon outdoors (e.g., wedding photographers with elaborate light setups) a camera-integrated system would be very welcome.
I see a convergence of hot-show flashes and mobile studio flashes. Their size, price and capabilities converge. The main remaining difference is that studio flashes aren't automatically exposed by the camera (yet).

I am curently shopping for a mobile (not hot shoe) 500Ws flash and I am surprised how convenient they have become. With internal LiOn battery, remote control for power and modelling light and everything ...

One basically has to rename studio flash into pro flash nowadays. Which may be a reason for the slow evolution seen in hot-shoe flashes.
09-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #141
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cent #2: Empower the camera to control power settings of off-camera flashes. Do not only allow a photographer to turn single off-camera flashes on and off individually, but also let the photographer set power levels (manual levels and/or exposure compensation values) for each of the off-camera flashes.
...I don't understand why no camera manufacturer (I know of) has implemented such a system yet.
Nikon does it. Has "groups" that flashes can be put in and those groups can have power levels adjusted. This is via the pop-up, or other, flash.
09-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #142
Veteran Member

I have looked at the Hahnel remote trigger and always wondered if it would with with Pentax cameras and how good it does work.

I do like the idea of a Pentax dedicated remote viewer/controller. Maybe even make it with a WiFi connection and place a harddrive in it and use it to transfer files from the camera to the remote device. Might solve the problem of having only on SD slot on the camera. This way the image could be saved to the in-camera SD card and the remote device at the same time.

Dave

I'm not sure actually. Many tilt-screen cameras have emerged, esp. in the entry level. But is it the best road?

I have a wireless Hähnel trigger with its own rear LCD and it works really well. You have the half press and all the info you have on the camera's rear screen, incl. the LV image in LV. You can even use the half press to focus remotely.

It is a much more rewarding way to compose than a camera's tilt screen which solves some difficult situations; but not as many as the Hähnel.

However, the Hänel transmitter is too big (with its own webcam) to make the Hähnel solution as versatile as a tilt screen. So, this is my suggestion to Pentax:

Rather than a tilt screen, add an internal remote screen transmitter to the camera.

And offer a remote screen with full rear screen resolution (and in different sizes and larger ones with a hot show mount) and with the shutter (half press) button but also a dial and 2 buttons to control aperture/speed/iso. The shutter half press should awake the camera into LV what the Hähnel does not.

I figure such a wireless screen is a much more innovative solution and better for Pentax than a Me Too tilt screen.

09-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #143
Pentaxian

I am curently shopping for a mobile (not hot shoe) 500Ws flash and I am surprised how convenient they have become. With internal LiOn battery, remote control for power and modelling light and everything ...
The Priolite MB500 looks very promising. Beats dragging around extra battery packs and 400 shots per charge should suffice for most outdoor projects.
09-12-2011, 03:53 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
I have looked at the Hahnel remote trigger and always wondered if it would with with Pentax cameras
You need the Canon version and it works 100% with Pentax K-5. Probably with any Pentax featuring a wired trigger plug and composite video out. The image quality is like old TVs only. But since the K-5 magnifies during contrast AF, you still see well if it focusses correctly. And if it picks up some faces for a surprise

My only complaint is that the camera goes to sleep after a while and while you can wake it up using the Hähnel half press, it won't go into LV again (you have to press the LV button). But the Hähnel has its own camera which means you would still be able to focus and shoot.

However, it blocks the hot shoe and therefore, can't be used in conjunction with studio flash (maybe though, it only uses the hot shoe mechanically and could be taped elsewhere, like on-top a studio flash trigger). And off road, the remote trigger camera part is too large to carry everyday. So, this only leaves a few use cases for the Hähnel as it is.
The Priolite MB500 looks very promising. Beats dragging around extra battery packs and 400 shots per charge should suffice for most outdoor projects.
The remote controller I showed was their's too

Last edited by falconeye; 09-12-2011 at 03:59 AM.
09-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #145
Veteran Member

This thread again has a giant number of very good ideas. I really hope Pentax does visit this forum and use it to their advantage.
09-13-2011, 04:23 AM   #146
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

However, it blocks the hot shoe and therefore, can't be used in conjunction with studio flash (maybe though, it only uses the hot shoe mechanically and could be taped elsewhere, like on-top a studio flash trigger). And off road, the remote trigger camera part is too large to carry everyday. So, this only leaves a few use cases for the Hähnel as it is.

The remote controller I showed was their's too
But you may be able to use the trigger for flashes if you use an X-sync cable ?
09-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #147
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
But you may be able to use the trigger for flashes if you use an X-sync cable ?
Probably yes, if the flashes support an X-sync cable.
That's actually not so obvious anymore with modern studio flashes. Fortunately, the favorite one on my shopping list still does if one digs deep enough in the manuals ( http://www.priolite.com/de/service/download.html?file=tl_files/press/Imagebr...Presse_eng.pdf ).
09-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #148
Veteran Member

The Kr replacement will have the 16 megapixel Sony Sensor
09-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
The Kr replacement will have the 16 megapixel Sony Sensor
What sensor will the K-5 replacement have? Will there be changes to the AF system?
09-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #150
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
24mpix, that one is a given imo if KR gets the 16Mpix