Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
It must be a fun time to be a camera designer/engineer at Sony right now. All blue ocean stuff right now . For every new idea that comes to market there are probably five that didn't. I suspect that their strategy is to bring as many horses as they can to the Kentucky Derby.
Other than the infinite sadness of dripping the Minolta name, a lot of what is going on at Sony camera HQ is a lot like the approach of the old Minolta. DNA and all that. Smart acquisition by Sony. They got some good people.

09-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #227

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Again, ahem.

AVI is a "proprietary" container originally designed by Microsoft (Windows media player).

MOV is a "proprietary" container originally designed by Apple (Quicktime).

Neither of these two formats have anything to do with HTML5, and both pre-date HTML5 by a good few years.

AVCHD on the other hand uses M2TS is which an "open" container.

I'm not sure why you think M2TS will make "integrated H.264 encode/decode designs inapplicable" - MPEG Transport Stream is just about one of the most widely supported distribution containers out there - used in DVB broadcasts all over the world. It is supported on just about anything I know, and inbuilt into most GPUs and video processors.
Well said. Exactly right. M2TS predates AVCHD.

(As for full frame: Not a fanboy, but would like to see a full frame DSLR).

Last edited by pz1fan; 09-10-2011 at 07:39 PM.
09-10-2011, 01:07 AM - 1 Like   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Blesator = stop-down coupler (aka aperture coupler)
That's as good an English name as you'll get.
Well, Blesator is short for Blendensimulator. Which means Aperture simulator (Blendenübertragung / aperture coupler is another term for the same thing).

So, the closest translation to English would be Apesator

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Pentax K mount lenses work great on the Gh2.
No adapter which requires manual focus works "great".

This is why I think a Sony LA-KE2 could be earth shaking for the Pentax community.
09-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #229
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
Well said. Exactly right. M2TS predates AVCHD. There is also the standards based MP4 file format container. The other file formats are proprietary.

(As for full frame: Not a fanboy, but would like to see a full frame DSLR).
MKV is open too AFAIK

09-10-2011, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #230
Oog
Forum Member

As I said, in the Dear Pentax thread, I would like Pentax to bring out something that can do the same as a N----n D700 has been doing for the past 3 years now:

- FF (don't care about megapixels, just low natural noise)
- open-aperture metering with K and M lenses (de-cripple the KAF2 mount)
- full manual setting

It would mean either ditching Pentax and forking over $4000+ to N---n for a body with 3 prime autofocus Nikkors or keep my A28, A35-70, A70-200, M50f1.4, M50f4 macro, K35f2, and K55f1.8 and spend $2500+/- towards a Pentax FF body!
09-10-2011, 02:40 AM   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Yes, but the English don't do compound names and this is an artificial one on top of matters.

The real issue is the cost of implementing it, of course. In a $10,000 camera like 645D it is feasible to do this. In a $1,500 camera it will never be, AFAIC. I don't see Pentax offering the Apecler (APErture CoupLER) in a $2,300 FF camera either.
09-10-2011, 04:04 AM   #232
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FFMarket

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
It's not just market share. It's margins. as well.
Any Pentax FF will clearly not be able to increase market share because the demand is simply not there. What can Pentax offer in a FF DSLR that is better than a Nikon D800?
As somebody mentioned already, FF market depends very much on the price. The trend of increasing number of photo enthusiasts is, I guess, clear. Many of them come soon or later to conclusion, that they would like to have a FF camera (IQ reasons). But just part of them can invest in FF body and lenses.
So the point is to find the sweet point= intersection of the price, development and production costs and set of functionality. I am sure, that certain price of FF camera (probably between $1500 and 2000) would attract demand from both Pentax and non Pentax community. Maybe, the right moment is still not there. Many people in this thread would wish a FF camera focused just on basic features and size small as possible. It would be interesting to prepare a poll, focused on these basic features and maximum expected price.

09-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
the English don't do compound names and this is an artificial one on top of matters.
They do, cf. "transputer"
09-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #234
Pentaxian

They do, cf. "transputer"
Once every decade, if that...
09-10-2011, 09:32 AM   #235
Veteran Member

Sounds like an animal from the pleistocene.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan67 Quote
I am sure, that certain price of FF camera (probably between $1500 and 2000) would attract demand from both Pentax and non Pentax community. Maybe, the right moment is still not there. Many people in this thread would wish a FF camera focused just on basic features and size small as possible. It would be interesting to prepare a poll, focused on these basic features and maximum expected price.
We've done it. It went exactly as you guess, coming to an average price of $1750 IIRC.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-16-2011 at 09:06 AM.
09-10-2011, 02:38 PM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
We've done it. It went exactly as you guess, coming to an average price of $1750 IIRC.
It's on pre-order now for $1749.99.
09-11-2011, 04:50 AM   #237

QuoteOriginally posted by Jan67 Quote
It would be interesting to prepare a poll, focused on these basic features and maximum expected price.
Agreed. There's not much point in people saying they'd pay for FF unless they qualify it by also saying how much they'd pay. I'd considered a poll along those lines myself (but hadn't wanted yet another FF thread).

When Ricoh bought Pentax, they said they wanted the Pentax brand name and its fans. It does seem to me that an old-fashioned full-frame DSLR would please that crowd and maybe attract back some of those who have left the fold. A mirrorless just doesn't have the same appeal right now. I envisage a camera that would mark the end of an era, a last great beautiful optical viewfinder: bright, high resolution, lag-free, fast auto-focus and easy manual focus, no battery drain. After that it will be mirrorless all the way. There should be a perfect example of what that gives up.
09-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

5D mark II is the most used DSLR on Flickr

source: Flickr: Camera Finder: Canon

What's interesting is that the graph is showing the 5D Mk II on the rising, the same curve as the 7D. But the 5D Mk II is almost a 3 years old model! (Actually that also helps a lot for cumulative statistics like the Flickr, but its growing rate is as fast as the 7D). It means that advanced amateurs choose as much the 5D as the 7D. Which could be interpreted as "if I'm going to pay 1600$ for a top APS-C I could as well stretch my budget by a few hundreds and get the real thing". Which is a sound decision considering that anyway the cost of a photographic system is mostly in the lenses most of the time.
09-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #239
Veteran Member

An 'upgrade' motivation, and skewed flickr stats?

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
source: Flickr: Camera Finder: Canon
Which could be interpreted as "if I'm going to pay 1600$ for a top APS-C I could as well stretch my budget by a few hundreds and get the real thing". Which is a sound decision considering that anyway the cost of a photographic system is mostly in the lenses most of the time.

That's exactly the reasoning that struck me when I wanted to upgrade my D90. I was looking at the D300s for better tracking, AF adjust and better support of AI-S lenses, but I just didn't feel like aps-c-->aps-c within Nikon was going to really feel like an upgrade. I decided to bite the bullet, spend a bit more and get the D700.

My first choice would have been to keep the D90 and upgrade the K20D to a Pentax FF body. Alas.

QuoteQuote:
...What's interesting is that the graph is showing the 5D Mk II on the rising, the same curve as the 7D. But the 5D Mk II is almost a 3 years old model! (Actually that also helps a lot for cumulative statistics like the Flickr, but its growing rate is as fast as the 7D). It means that advanced amateurs choose as much the 5D as the 7D.

I wonder if flickr may not really be a flat representation of buyers. D700 also has stronger numbers than I would have expected, the flickr ratio just doesn't represent what I see in the field.

My theory: 5D/D700 users tend to have a more developed workflow than the average T3i and D3000 user, and have integrated image upload into it as basically another step. Thus, they can get a lot of images up there with minimal effort, skewing the numbers, and are more likely to upload at least something with every shoot. A big chunk of entry-level shooters have almost no real 'workflow', and regard getting images up to flickr or somepace as a dedicated effort - one they skip more often than not.

Last edited by jsherman999; 09-11-2011 at 07:15 AM.
09-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
My theory: 5D/D700 users tend to have a more developed workflow than the average T3i and D3000 user, and have integrated image upload into it as basically another step. Thus, they can get a lot of images up there with minimal effort, skewing the numbers, and are more likely to upload at least something with every shoot.
I would agree if ...

... photographers with a more developed workflow wouldn't avoid Flickr at all. After all, Flickr has an unclear copyright policy and ugly representation, compared to some alternatives.