Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Correctomundo.

I want to invest in an advanced full frame system (with state of the art AF) with a full complement of lenses.

Even if Pentax somehow manages to produce a FF camera (which I highly doubt) the AF will probably not be as good, and FA lens system also need an overhaul. I don't see the equivalent of the L200, L300 and L400 anytime soon.

If Pentax does all that it will send them bankrupt, for a potential market which is not there. If Sony couldn't succeed, with their R&D dollars and marketing might, Pentax has no chance. Sorry, full frame fanboys.

The Q on the hand is a fantastic toy camera for putting in the handbag. The lenses Pentax have announced for it (including the toy lenses) are more than adequate for me. A telephoto and a macro would complete the collection - I hear Pentax is already working on it so wish already potentially fulfilled.
:BS: on that comment. You either cited toner cartridges or 10 to $30K in 3 L primes depending on which model. And the latter is just more name throwing.

Last edited by Blue; 09-03-2011 at 06:04 PM.
09-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Your legacy glass kills future Pentax lens sales.

That's why they are not listening to you.
I see that as a good argument for a mirrorless FF body. Create a new mount that maximises the benefits of the new system, but offer a K-mount adapter for legacy glass. Make this adapter a standard kit option, at least for the first generation.

People with an investment in K-mount glass will be able to use the new system immediately, and Pentax can offer an upgrade path of lenses that are better tailored to the new bodies. Of course there would be much wailing and gnashing of teeth in these forums if Pentax were to do this, but it seems to me that this is the best solution for all parties.
09-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #33
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Your legacy glass kills future Pentax lens sales.

That's why they are not listening to you.
Not necessarily if they actually have some new lenses in the line up. Plus, by your opinion and logic, Pentax wouldn't be selling any lenses. However, it is a fact that the lack of a ff body kills full frame body sales.
09-03-2011, 08:04 PM   #34
Veteran Member

You know, video with FF is going wild these days because of the DOF control. So, if Pentax could come out with a FF that somehow had a video appeal (complete manual control, the right frame rates, etc. etc.) I believe people would buy into it just for the video factor alone. Even on top of that though, FF is very appealing to quite a few of us around here... In fact, I'm almost ready to jump on the next Sony FF option (Sony supposedly will be coming out with two new FF cameras next year that will feature the SLT technology) if they can have at least as good of DR as my K-5 and better high iso... However, if Pentax would come out with a competitive FF option, then I'd love to run a two camera system—a FF and my K-5.

09-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just wanted to say it was a very good essay with some good ideas. 10 out of 10 for providing some interesting and well thought out and considered ideas.
Following replies rank from between 2 and 8 out of 10. Not much new has been said.
09-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Not much new has been said.
Not much new is ever said here.
09-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sperdynamite Quote
My intention was less a "pentax full frame thread" and more a "how would this really work" thread. But thanks.
Yes, but.... how is this "Pentax News" or "Pentax Rumors"?
09-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Call me harsh, but this is one of those classic hamsters-in-a-wheel threads that needs to die.

09-03-2011, 11:44 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Call me harsh...

Most things will die if they aren't fed, Harsh.

Last edited by .a.t.; 01-20-2012 at 01:42 PM.
09-04-2011, 12:26 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
You either cited toner cartridges or 10 to $30K in 3 L primes depending on which model.
If you want good glass, be prepared to pay for it. And the EF 200mm f/2 L II is actually quite affordable - a friend of mine bought it - I can borrow it any time. The 300mm is rather more expensive (and also heavier).

Canon lenses are generally more expensive than Pentax, but they are also higher quality, so you get what you paid for. Anyone who is in the market for a full frame camera should be prepared to pay for quality.

By the way, here's a photo I took on my friend's 200mm lens (love that shallow DOF!):

Last edited by Christine Tham; 09-04-2011 at 12:34 AM.
09-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
Just wanted to say it was a very good essay with some good ideas. 10 out of 10 for providing some interesting and well thought out and considered ideas.
Following replies rank from between 2 and 8 out of 10. Not much new has been said.
Exciting! What grade did I get?
09-04-2011, 01:47 AM   #42
Pentaxian

If you want good glass, be prepared to pay for it. And the EF 200mm f/2 L II is actually quite affordable - a friend of mine bought it - I can borrow it any time. The 300mm is rather more expensive (and also heavier).

Canon lenses are generally more expensive than Pentax, but they are also higher quality, so you get what you paid for. Anyone who is in the market for a full frame camera should be prepared to pay for quality.

By the way, here's a photo I took on my friend's 200mm lens (love that shallow DOF!):

You make enough money to buy 2 Q set ups every time you show up to work and still going to borrow lenses? I sense big time hesitations. I say you cough up and buy them to enlighten yourself, and us.
09-04-2011, 01:51 AM   #43
Zav
Pentaxian

I think I will have to wait for a Nex-9 with a 24x36 sensor before my 31 is wide again :/
09-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
You make enough money to buy 2 Q set ups every time you show up to work and still going to borrow lenses? I sense big time hesitations. I say you cough up and buy them to enlighten yourself, and us.
Did you try the 645D before buying it? Or are you one of these people who buy things sight unseen? :-)

Me - I always prefer to try before buy.
09-04-2011, 07:22 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Did you try the 645D before buying it? Or are you one of these people who buy things sight unseen? :-)

Me - I always prefer to try before buy.
Touched it once. Never tried it. I bought 2 Toyota Prius without test driving. I did marry my wife after trying her though. Oops.