Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #496
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
So what's the point of SLT in the long run when AF can be done fast with cdaf or on-sensor pdaf?

I totally agree that "we ain't seen nothing yet" of EVF technology, but I can't help seeing SLT as a very temporary solution that has almost no advantages and a few clear disadvantages.

Could be so.
There is already a PDAF adapter for the NEX.
Wouldn't come as a surprise if NEX with option of adapter eventually replaces the Axx series.
Its alright though, as long as the lenses are still usable without loss of function.

10-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #497
Veteran Member

So what's the point of SLT in the long run when AF can be done fast with cdaf or on-sensor pdaf?

I totally agree that "we ain't seen nothing yet" of EVF technology, but I can't help seeing SLT as a very temporary solution that has almost no advantages and a few clear disadvantages.
I agree. We had SLT's in Film SLR cameras too and they didn't last long. It's may just be more about extending the length of the mount with its registration distance.

Last edited by Eruditass; 10-13-2011 at 10:04 AM.
10-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #498
Veteran Member

SLT may very well be a bridge technology. Sony continues to develop lenses for the system so they must feel that there is a future. There were several concepts that circulated a few years ago where the mirror box was replaced by a 3 sensor system (like 3 CCD video) where you have 1 red sensor, 1 blue sensor, 1 green sensor. Three-CCD camera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . If you had 3 16MP APS-C Sony sensor being combined the final image would easily rival MF IQ. Being able to control the exposure for each color channel independently really helps with color accuracy especially the Red channel.

Pentax easily has room in side of the 645D. If Kodak goes under we might see Pentax move down this road with 3 25MP CMOS FF sensors.
10-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #499
Pentaxian

Yes, the only "problem" would probably be cost, hence, selling price.

10-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #500
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Yes, the only "problem" would probably be cost, hence, selling price.
Companies like Samsung need to step it up and create more competition in the market. Sensor prices have fallen and will continue to fall. 3-12MP FF sensors would out resolve any current camera on the market so older technology could be used with better performance. You still need a massive image processor to handle the equivalent of 36MP, but we are getting there. The splitting prism is also expensive. The 3 sensor camera has some issues, but it also has a lot of potential.
10-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #501
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Companies like Samsung need to step it up and create more competition in the market. Sensor prices have fallen and will continue to fall. 3-12MP FF sensors would out resolve any current camera on the market so older technology could be used with better performance. .
I believe that it is the production that cost money more than the technology that goes in them...
I don't expect cheap large sensors anytime soon. The better sensor technology get the less is the need and indeed demand for larger sensors.
10-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #502
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I believe that it is the production that cost money more than the technology that goes in them...
I don't expect cheap large sensors anytime soon. The better sensor technology get the less is the need and indeed demand for larger sensors.
One of the reasons for the high cost of sensors was the extremely pure processed silicone needed to make the wafer. There were only a few companies in the world that produced a high enough grade to be used for digital sensors. The solar power industry has also been hurt by the availability. A couple of new plants have opened in the last year to help meet the demand for high grade silicone and prices are coming down. Technology plays a big role in production costs. As technology improves so will yields which will help lower the cost. As the quality of the silicone improves so will the yields. Impurities in the silicone lead to lower yields.

Several solar power companies have been working on alternative materials to silicone, but when the price of silicone dropped do to added supply they found that their alternative materials were too expensive and a couple have gone out of business here in the USA. I'm not saying we will ever see a 3 sensor camera, but the cost of sensor production is falling.

10-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
One of the reasons for the high cost of sensors was the extremely pure processed silicone ...opened in the last year to help meet the demand for high grade silicone ... As the quality of the silicone improves so will the yields. Impurities in the silicone lead to lower yields.

Several solar power companies have been working on alternative materials to silicone, but when the price of silicone dropped do to added supply they found that their alternative materials were too expensive and a couple have gone out of business here in the USA. ....

I think that situation's going to be a greater concern to, say, Kim Kardashian in the future than us.

10-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #504
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I think that situation's going to be a greater concern to, say, Kim Kardashian in the future than us.

I just realized I misspelled it every time.....
10-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #505
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
So do i, moreover i am afraid that as we can see with the "getting small" syndrome, there might not be such an interesting marketing space for big sensors in the future, at least for the "public" as opposed to "professionnal" segment...
And if you look for example to contemporary "mode and luxury shooting", the market seems to be well enough into the hands of high grade medium format industry, and i think it will be difficult for Pentax to make things change against Hasselblad or Phase One.
But of course i would love to see the birth of any 3-sensor 24x36 SLR.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 10-14-2011 at 12:33 AM.
10-15-2011, 12:18 PM   #506
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
actually, Sony now officially announced that they stopped the productio of the A900, and no announcment of a new FF sony yet. So maybe there really is no future in FF, if you want big you might have to go MF
10-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #507
Pentaxian

Indeed, then only Kodak could help pentax with CCD 24x36mm sensors, which might be a problem if it has to be sold because of CCD technological limitations...
10-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #508
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
actually, Sony now officially announced that they stopped the productio of the A900, and no announcment of a new FF sony yet. So maybe there really is no future in FF, if you want big you might have to go MF
And rumours appeared they are about to begin the production of FF SLT
10-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just because Sony isn't producing their own full frame camera doesn't mean they're going to stop making the sensors. Why waste all that R&D when companies are still willing to pay for it?
10-15-2011, 02:47 PM - 1 Like   #510
Veteran Member

I never realized how many unhappy Pentax users there were until I started reading these Full Frame discussions. Not to be rude, but there are companies who make these cameras. You can buy one. I have a lot invested in Pentax too, but they didn't make an equivalent of the GXR and Fuji 100. I have the 31, 43, 77, 50-135, and all the DA Limiteds + a K5 so I am a Pentax camera person. That said, I wanted a smaller camera so I just bought what was available. I wish there was a Pentax equivalent of the X100 but there isn't. If you think about it I could have pretty much purchased a Full Frame camera between the X100 and the GXR + two modules. I'm the ideal candidate for a Pentax Full Frame because if I want it and can afford it I'll buy, except I have absolutely no interest in a camera that big. If I was to guess why Pentax doesn't make a Full Frame camera it's probably because they don't think there are enough [I]Pentax[I] buyers to support production of one plus the lenses.

The Canon 5DMkII is a great camera. I've used a friend's twice with that giant 70-200 zoom. It's like walking around with a cinder block. Somehow my quest for shallow depth of field isn't as exciting when I have to do a full cardio workout plus weight lifting just to get it. Maybe if I was getting paid it to do it would make sense. I would be far more likely to spend my money on Leica if I wanted a Full Frame camera but I just can't justify that expense. An M9 is not going to make me a better photographer.

The enthusiast camera market is going more towards smaller cameras. Anyone who tells you the GXR or the Fuji X100 doesn't have good enough image quality for the average photographer is just not telling the truth, period. That said the Q while interesting is probably too small and too expensive. If it had been $200 less they might have a big hit with it.

I'm holding onto my Pentax gear even though I don't use it much because I'm so impressed with the GXR. I think Ricoh will have a better idea of what to do with Pentax than the last group that was running it.