Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #541
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
The actual reality is better IQ in general for free (for the price of FF indeed )
I've said this in another forum and I'll say it again here, if someone looks at your photographs and starts commenting on the IQ then you have failed as a photographer.

10-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #542
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Well while Pentax users discuss the merits of DOF, it looks like Canon is about to release the next generation 1D... from the rumours I see it will have:
18MP
12-14FPS
61 AF points
FF or APS-C mode

Hopefully Pentax with Ricoh is planning of something similar?
NEVER. This sport/reportage niche is just for Nikon and Canon.
10-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #543
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
I've said this in another forum and I'll say it again here, if someone looks at your photographs and starts commenting on the IQ then you have failed as a photographer.

I know what you're saying, but I wouldn't reduce it that far. A shot could be a great work of art and illustrate very high IQ on the part of the equipment (although it certainly doesn't need to.)

Personally I'm very gratified when folks mention 'great IQ' regarding my shots, for two reasons:

1) I choose my equipment carefully, with both cost and IQ in mind. 'great IQ' means I have chosen well. And...

2) It means I didn't screw up the shot. Missed focus, exposure problems can make your $1000 Limited look worse than an old Sigma superzoom.

It's true that understanding light, composition and 'seeing' unique subjectal circumstances have nothing to do with IQ, which is where i think you were going with your statement. I certainly agree with that. But 'good IQ' is a fun part of the hobby also.

10-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #544
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

I know what you're saying, but I wouldn't reduce it that far. A shot could be a great work of art and illustrate very high IQ on the part of the equipment (although it certainly doesn't need to.)

Personally I'm very gratified when folks mention 'great IQ' regarding my shots, for two reasons:

1) I choose my equipment carefully, with both cost and IQ in mind. 'great IQ' means I have chosen well. And...

2) It means I didn't screw up the shot. Missed focus, exposure problems can make your $1000 Limited look worse than an old Sigma superzoom.

It's true that understanding light, composition and 'seeing' unique subjectal circumstances have nothing to do with IQ, which is where i think you were going with your statement. I certainly agree with that. But 'good IQ' is a fun part of the hobby also.

Agree. +1

10-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #545
Pentaxian

Fair enough. My language is a bit strong to make a point - we sometimes can't see the forest (photography) for the trees (technology). I'm as guilty of it as the next guy.
10-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #546
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
if someone looks at your photographs and starts commenting on the IQ then you have failed as a photographer.
In general, very true. Particularly for some genres of photography - eg street, portraits, photojournalism and other types of what I'd call 'expressive' photography.

But for some sorts of documentary photography genres - eg landscape, birding, airplane photography, macro - a good technical result is important and worth commenting on sometimes, although of course a good technical result alone even in these documentary genres wouldn't be enough to make a good photo. You still need a bit of art to go along with any good technical result to qualify as good.

When you have people comment on the brand or type of camera you've used, THEN you know your photos have failed. Or that you are putting your work in front of the wrong sort of audience.
10-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #547
Veteran Member

I know and it is getting so cheap! I am very much considering jumping in again.

keh.com has everything you need (I always look at that equipment when I get my catalog and go, "hmmm....")
10-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #548
Pentaxian

I like that.

10-18-2011, 12:49 AM   #549
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I like that.
Mindless phrases and mindless approvals are widespread here. The IQ is a part of image. People will prefer the image with better IQ. The full frame viewfinder simplifies getting the right composition.
10-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #550

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GordonZA Quote
Well while Pentax users discuss the merits of DOF, it looks like Canon is about to release the next generation 1D... from the rumours I see it will have:
18MP
12-14FPS
61 AF points
FF or APS-C mode
Confirmed:

Canon announces EOS-1D X: full-frame 18MP sensor, 14 fps, 204,800 top ISO, $6,800 price tag -- Engadget
10-18-2011, 02:46 AM   #551
Pentaxian

Mindless phrases and mindless approvals are widespread here. The IQ is a part of image. People will prefer the image with better IQ. The full frame viewfinder simplifies getting the right composition.
A friend of mine used to post (link) images in some "photography" forums, in such a manner that the author wasn't apparent (he would mention that later). Invariably, people would complain about the IQ - lousy, lots of "noise" (grain, actually), no details in shadows... a total failure.
And so we would find out that Henri Cartier-Bresson, Brassai and others like them were incompetent fools who couldn't make a good picture even if their life depended on it
10-18-2011, 02:56 AM   #552
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Henri Cartier-Bresson, Brassai and others
Forget about them, we are living in the different epoch. That times there were no automatics and getting things well was much harder than today. So the IQ standard was much lower. It's much higher today. I mean the reporter style photographing they used, of course.
BTW, I see a load of their photos, especially of Cartier-Bresson, which is simply overrated IMO.
PS I don't argue about the IQ for everything narrower than 50mm EFR. I quite satisfied with APS-C for portraiture (I have no particular interest in it though). I'm dissatisfied with the APS-C wide end. I don't argue about IQ isn't a critical point in portraiture and reporting work.

Last edited by Emacs; 10-18-2011 at 03:05 AM.
10-18-2011, 06:37 AM   #553
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A friend of mine used to post (link) images in some "photography" forums, in such a manner that the author wasn't apparent
In another forum, I have done similar for trolling fun. I remember even modifying the EXIF of a particularly famous Cartier-Bresson to show that it was taken very recently, and with a Pentax K-x to boot. The responses were funny, and predictable.

So the IQ standard was much lower. It's much higher today.
I guess you haven't looked on Flickr, or horrible sites like 500px recently. Bad HDR, hipstamatic crap, iPhones, camera phones, Lomo, bad Photoshopping, cross-processing, hipsters using time-expired film in old SLR's, and other low IQ vulgarities have been dominating the photographic world recently. High IQ certainly isn't what it is all about today by a long shot ...
10-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #554
Pentaxian

...I see a load of their photos, especially of Cartier-Bresson, which is simply overrated IMO.
Speaking of mindless phrases.....
10-18-2011, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #555
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I guess you haven't looked on Flickr, or horrible sites like 500px recently. Bad HDR, hipstamatic crap, iPhones, camera phones, Lomo, bad Photoshopping, cross-processing, hipsters using time-expired film in old SLR's, and other low IQ vulgarities have been dominating the photographic world recently. High IQ certainly isn't what it is all about today by a long shot ...
Agreed, there are a plethora of tools these days to divert one's attention from the "photographer's" total lack of skill and understanding of the craft. Completely reworking a picture in photoshop doesn't make one a good photographer, having a good camera doesn't make one a good photographer, but while it's possible to fool an uneducated viewer into believing that the shooter has some skill by using PS, poor IQ is just poor IQ. For those individuals who do know how to make a good photograph however, a camera with superb IQ can help set them apart from the rabble of photoshopping iPhone shooters.

And that's the point of a FF DSLR. It's not that APS-C doesn't produce acceptable results, but some of us would like that extra bit of edge, that stop less DoF, that extra 25% on on each side of the frame, that cleanliness from noise that a larger sensor would provide.