Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #466
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
That doesn't really disprove my point. 8^)
Is there a way to prove or disprove your point? I was not trying to disprove it, but how do you prove it?

10-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #467
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The discontinued the A700 for over a year before they replaced it with the new A77. The A900 replacement will be out next year after Nikon releases the D800 with the new Sony 36MP sensor. Apparently it will have SLT technology as well.
And where do you come by that information??? I have a hard time believing that the Nikon D800 will be SLT. I mean, Nikon hasn't even released an SLT camera, so wouldn't it be more logical to put it to test (so to speak) first in a lower end camera?
10-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #468
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
And where do you come by that information??? I have a hard time believing that the Nikon D800 will be SLT. I mean, Nikon hasn't even released an SLT camera, so wouldn't it be more logical to put it to test (so to speak) first in a lower end camera?
I meant the A99 will be SLT like the A77.
10-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #469
Forum Member

Sony doesn't have any FF body sell well, but it still makes new FF bodies like crazy. I think Sony is making more types of FF bodies than the add up of all the other competitors recently. Well, our pentaxian doesn't even have one FF body to enjoy...

The discontinued the A700 for over a year before they replaced it with the new A77. The A900 replacement will be out next year after Nikon releases the D800 with the new Sony 36MP sensor. Apparently it will have SLT technology as well.

Sony has a couple of FF lenses still on their road map. They don't have any plans to discontinue the FF line. FF is part of their overall marketing strategy. They can not take down Canon with out one, and that is their target.

10-05-2011, 12:47 AM   #470
Forum Member

It's said Sony may build more than one new FF camera and SLT is not yet definite. Hopefully one will be without SLT? I doubt if any EVF could match the A900's viewfinder which is superb. The A900 is still available to buy but the A850 is discontinued. Hopefully Pentax will also use the new Sony FF sensor and do a better job than Sony or Nikon.
10-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #471
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by feishui Quote
Sony doesn't have any FF body sell well, but it still makes new FF bodies like crazy. I think Sony is making more types of FF bodies than the add up of all the other competitors recently.
Really? Which FF bodies are you talking about? I only know of the discontinued A900 and the also discontinued A850.
Of course, 0 would be so many more than the D700, D3s, D3x, 5DmKii, 1DMkIV, 1DsMkIII... and I'm not counting the discontinued Canikon FFs
10-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #472
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a way to prove or disprove your point? I was not trying to disprove it, but how do you prove it?
I concede your logic, sir. ;^)

Hmm. Maybe Fuji will take the retro ball and run with it into DSLR land.

10-05-2011, 02:52 AM   #473
Veteran Member

Why would the 2000$+ market be small? Even k-7 sold for 2k$ in Sweden when it was new. Maybe we are used to pay more but... obviously there's a market here. If a camera is 2k in the US it will sell for 3k here.
Same with most electronics, computer parts are the only thing I can think of that's sold for about the same price here and in the US.
10-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #474
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Well I just today ordered a new K-5 for 799 euro, wich is $ 1055 and still people think it is expansive!
10-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #475
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I just today ordered a new K-5 for 799 euro, wich is $ 1055 and still people think it is expansive!
It will be under $1,000.00 after Christmas and just before the launch of the K-5 replacement in the Spring.
10-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #476
Banned

It will be under $1,000.00 after Christmas and just before the launch of the K-5 replacement in the Spring.
I hope it doesn't come next week, since I'm gonna have to wait then for 6 months. Spring is fine for me
10-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #477

Sony has a couple of FF lenses still on their road map. They don't have any plans to discontinue the FF line. FF is part of their overall marketing strategy. They can not take down Canon with out one, and that is their target.
They didn't have an established DSLR user base when they released it. And it was priced too high for new adopters.

As for SLT, camera owners are more educated than camera manufacturers think. If you lose the optical view, you may as well go mirror-less. I'd buy a mirror-less before any SLT.
10-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #478
Forum Member

I quite agree. The pellicle mirror causes some light loss and possibly some image degradation, so you might as well go mirror-less. Nikon would possibly be able to extract better results from Sony 36MP FF sensor using an OVF than Sony's SLT model. Pentax could do the same using the same 36MP sensor and hopefully will.
10-10-2011, 12:58 AM   #479
Pentaxian

The SLTs seems to have poorer image quality vs DSLRs with the same sensor.
It won't sit well with the serious enthusiast and pros.
It should attract the layman and wannabe who buy into attractive specs and promise of FF.
Sony may well carve a niche for itself just targeting the latter market.
10-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #480
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The SLTs seems to have poorer image quality vs DSLRs with the same sensor.
I have not seen a significant difference in IQ until you hit higher ISO.
It won't sit well with the serious enthusiast and pros.
The A99 might change that. We will have to see. The A77 is going to have a strong following. The A77 will attract a lot of "serious enthusiasts".
It should attract the layman and wannabe who buy into attractive specs and promise of FF.
So it will only attract 80% of the market?
Sony may well carve a niche for itself just targeting the latter market.
There are some real advantages to SLT. Is the technology there yet? NO, but it is still a new technology. Those Zeiss lenses are not too shabby either.

The A77 is more camera than 90% of the buyers are going to need and more capable than many of the professional cameras just of a few years ago. The EVF technology is not as good as the top of the line OVFs, but it is better than a lot of APS-C OVFs and especially the lower end penta-mirror OVFs.

The "Peaking" feature that Sony has implemented is really good feature that I hope to see others copy. Makes MF much, much faster than trying to look through a small APS-C OVF.