Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
congrats on that and let her buy V1 since that looks like a real smart system (wich Nex isn't).
Really? Just as bulky as other systems, but with inferior sensors. I don't see the point.

09-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sony's starting to look interesting. I mean the a77. Unless Pentax can build something to compete that might be where I end up.
09-25-2011, 12:20 PM   #213
Pentaxian

Sony? Mmm each one has different taste
09-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #214
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Sony? Mmm each one has different taste
I try not to taste my Sony gear. It all makes my tongue feel strange. Especially the battery chargers.

09-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #215
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
Sony's starting to look interesting. I mean the a77. Unless Pentax can build something to compete that might be where I end up.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/160068...lem-korea.html
09-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I try not to taste my Sony gear. It all makes my tongue feel strange. Especially the battery chargers.
Hehehe
09-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #217

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
As someone with a NEX-5, I can say that there isn't that much physical difference between a NEX-5 and a K-x, especially once you mount a lens on the NEX. The NEX system cameras are not what I would call lightweight and small by any means.

With all but the 16mm Sony pancake mounted, NEX's are pretty substantial devices, and the NEX-7 is larger even than the NEX-5.

Any portability concerns with something like the K-5 may be alleviated by use of a funky and compact camera bag, I suggest. Indeed, once you are using a camera bag, lightweight and small becomes a relative issue. The same size bag for a NEX-7 and a few lenses would probably fit a K-5 with a few lenses too.
Err.. Here is my K5 and previous NEX C3

I can carry the NEX and two pentax primes DA40 & FA77 in a small waist pouch

09-26-2011, 12:42 AM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tsammyc Quote
Err.. Here is my K5 and previous NEX C3
LOL perspective distortion.

Anyway, for what it is worth, here's a size comparison of my K-x and my NEX-5 viewed from directly above, both with standard 18-55 kit lens mounted.

The NEX-5 is undoubtedly smaller, but not in another league of small, especially with lens. And when you add a lens adapter + lens + protruding external Sony flash to the NEX-5... you get the picture.

Last edited by rawr; 09-26-2011 at 12:48 AM.
09-26-2011, 01:30 AM   #219
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Really? Just as bulky as other systems, but with inferior sensors. I don't see the point.
I expect the V1 sensor to be better then K-x/K-r, but we will see when DxO makes the test.
09-26-2011, 01:44 AM   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I expect the V1 sensor to be better then K-x/K-r, but we will see when DxO makes the test.
Maybe, but even then you lose the ability to isolate background with shallow DoF, at least with the current lenses.
09-26-2011, 07:42 AM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
LOL perspective distortion.

Anyway, for what it is worth, here's a size comparison of my K-x and my NEX-5 viewed from directly above, both with standard 18-55 kit lens mounted.

The NEX-5 is undoubtedly smaller, but not in another league of small, especially with lens. And when you add a lens adapter + lens + protruding external Sony flash to the NEX-5... you get the picture.
That's why I like the samsung with the 30mm pancake. It's my 80% of the time focal length and they are releasing a 20mm pancake also. This is a difficult system to beat as far as size and usability go. Imo you don't buy one of these systems to use the kit zoom (although many do) or the large lenses that Sony is releasing or mount Pentax lenses on it w/ adapter. You buy one of the current models to have a near compact camera and mounting Pentax is a novelty filling out an incomplete lens lineup. Currently there are very few portrait offerings but I have plenty of great, fast 50's to use instead.

But I'm waiting to see what Pentax is releasing. I'm just hoping it's not a 2-3x crop since that doesn't interest me.
09-27-2011, 06:14 PM   #222
Pentaxian

The news does not seem credible enough to even reference that thread.
09-27-2011, 07:03 PM   #223
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I'm beginning to think that this may actually work. With the Da40 it would look really compact. Now add a zoom lens that collapses INTO the body and a few primes that extends into the body (and are as small as the DA40 outside the mount), and it may turn out just as compact as the Nikon 1 system.
I'm struggling to picture this: a small body that's large enough that zooms and primes collapse into it. Is this something like the TARDIS? Does Ricoh have the manufacturing chops to mass-produce tesseracts?

I suspect I missed the point here someplace, gazonk. Would you please try it again or PM me?
09-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I'm struggling to picture this: a small body that's large enough that zooms and primes collapse into it. Is this something like the TARDIS? Does Ricoh have the manufacturing chops to mass-produce tesseracts?

I suspect I missed the point here someplace, gazonk. Would you please try it again or PM me?
Well it's not unheard of. Any superzoom P&S like the Panasonic TZ3 has a pretty radical collapsing zoom lens. In that Panny's case it's a 10x, 28-300mm equiv.

I think these folks are talking about a slightly larger, better quality collapsing zoom with only maybe 2x or 3x.
09-28-2011, 03:16 AM   #225
Veteran Member

Congratulations, you just invented the P&S camera all over again.