Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2011, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #241
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I expect the V1 sensor to be better then K-x/K-r, but we will see when DxO makes the test.
1st of April is nearly half a year away!

10-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #242
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I expect the V1 sensor to be better then K-x/K-r, but we will see when DxO makes the test.
it's not real
Attached Images

10-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #243
Pentaxian

I expect the Pentax Q at least equal to Nikon 1 re. dynamics.
10-04-2011, 02:15 PM   #244
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
it's not real
You are absolutly right on this, and the V1 isn't a real top performer. It is a perfect camera/sensor compared to other camera's:

It's in the same league as Olympus and Panasonic:
DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

and it outperforms the small sensor high-end compacts from Canon/Nikon/Samsung:

So let's see where Q is going to fit in.

10-04-2011, 07:31 PM   #245
ogl
Banned

You are absolutly right on this, and the V1 isn't a real top performer. It is a perfect camera/sensor compared to other camera's:

Yes. Nikon 1 system is higher than P&S high-end cameras (1/1.65", 1/1.7", 2/3" sensors), but a bit lower than m4/3 in terms of noise. In-between system.
10-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes. Nikon 1 system is higher than P&S high-end cameras (1/1.65", 1/1.7", 2/3" sensors), but a bit lower than m4/3 in terms of noise. In-between system.
Funny how it all seems to boil down to sensor size
10-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #247
Veteran Member

And Samsung and NEX rate higher (overall) than the rest of the mirrorless (unless I'm missing someone like Fuji). The NEX rates very good except for its somewhat illogical lens lineup. Tiny camera and large primes. Samsung is my favorite currently with an APSC sensor and both wide and normal pancakes.

10-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #248
Veteran Member

So let's see where Q is going to fit in.
Excuse me, but you did say that you expected the V1 sensor to do better on DXO than the K-x/K-r!!!

You changed your tune pretty quickly.... :ugh:
10-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #249
Veteran Member

I'd be ok with an SLT a la the upcoming Sony a77. I just don't want them to change the mount. Think, a Pentax that shoots 12fps at a full resolution 24mp per second. That is some serious data throughput. I just hope that the high ISO is clean and the AF is fast.
10-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #250
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Excuse me, but you did say that you expected the V1 sensor to do better on DXO than the K-x/K-r!!!

You changed your tune pretty quickly.... :ugh:
I did expect it, but that was to optimistic. It is still amazing that the V1 is on par with Olympus, since Olympus has sensils that are 57 % larger then on the sensor of V1.

My guess is that in two years time we wil see such a sensor to beat "old" K-x.
10-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #251
Veteran Member

I did expect it, but that was to optimistic. It is still amazing that the V1 is on par with Olympus, since Olympus has sensils that are 57 % larger then on the sensor of V1.

My guess is that in two years time we wil see such a sensor to beat "old" K-x.
The reason that the V1 is on par with Olympus is because, like the Q sensor and the NEX-5N sensor, it is at the cutting edge of current sensor abilities. Olympus have been so busy increasing AF speed and overall responsiveness that they are significantly behind in sensor abilities.

I have no doubt that a V1-sized sensor will someday match the K-x's technical abilities, but it'll never get close to my needs due to a lack of DOF control.
10-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #252

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I wouldn't want to do that. I was mainly thinking of two cases: a collapsible compact kit zoom, and non-retro focus wa lenses that could extend behind the mount.
So the large and complex lens inside mount body size compromise would be for the purposes of a kit lens and a couple of slow wide angles?

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
The reason that the V1 is on par with Olympus is because, like the Q sensor and the NEX-5N sensor, it is at the cutting edge of current sensor abilities. Olympus have been so busy increasing AF speed and overall responsiveness that they are significantly behind in sensor abilities.

I have no doubt that a V1-sized sensor will someday match the K-x's technical abilities, but it'll never get close to my needs due to a lack of DOF control.
I doubt Olympus is deliberately going with an ancient sensor just because they're busy with other things. It's that they can't (Panasonic won't sell them one) or won't (buy a Sony and crop).
10-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #253
ogl
Banned

To say honest - V1 is 1 stop worse in terms of noise. And just A BIT better than m4/3 in DR and colour depth:
0.4 EV in DR and 0.3 bits in colour are almost neglected (if we compare with G3).

Crop 2.7 is rather strange move for me - no any gain in compactness and worse DOF control even than crop 2.
The level of noise is just ~ 1 stop better than P&S. I don't undestand Nikon.
Even Pentax Q has more sense - it's just new line of Pentax high end P&S compacts instead of A serie. IMO. 1/2.3" BSI sensor is not worse than 1/1.65"CCD. It seems to me - even a bit better in noise.

Last edited by ogl; 10-05-2011 at 10:37 PM.
10-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #254
Pentaxian

I agree with Ogl. It makes no sense but protecting Nikon dslr business.
10-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #255
Forum Member

1/2.3" BSI sensor is not worse than 1/1.65"CCD. It seems to me - even a bit better in noise.
Agree, from what I saw, Q has a better high iso performance than s95