Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2011, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

EXCLUSIVE: Ricoh to Beef Up Digital Camera Biz

EXCLUSIVE: Ricoh to Beef Up Digital Camera Biz [Jiji Press English News Service]

QuoteQuote:
Ricoh Co. is considering fully entering the mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera market in a bid to boost its digital camera operations, informed sources told Jiji Press Saturday.

A new mirrorless camera will be developed by Pentax Imaging Systems Co., which the Japanese office equipment maker will acquire on Oct. 1 to take over the Pentax brand, the sources said.

Mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras, which are smaller and lighter than conventional single-lens reflex cameras, attract a wide range of consumers including young women.

A super compact mirrorless camera was rolled out under the Pentax brand in late August. But it was rather designed for beginners with a small image sensor, which converts light captured through lens into an electronic signal.

Equipped with a larger sensor, the new model will allow for a wide variety of photo styles, such as making out-of-focus areas in a shot much more blurry, the sources said.
Click on the link and READ THE WHOLE THANG!!

Last edited by RioRico; 09-18-2011 at 06:33 PM.
09-17-2011, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh s**t, that's terrible news! I seriously dislike the mirrorless toy-like wannabe cameras.
09-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
Forum Member

I believe that big-sensor mirrorless IS the future, eventually even for pros or at least enthusiasts. So that's potentially good news.

The first problem, of course, is to do it properly and competitively, especially when entering a very competitive and crowded market, and having to develop a whole new system (with lenses) from scratch. It's gonna be a tough ride for sure.

The second problem is, of course, that all (few to begin with) resources will go to the development of this new system (with leftovers going to 645D and Q systems), so we'll possibly see very few new lenses and bodies for the K system, if at all. It could even mean end-of-line for K in a couple of years.

BTW, if I were Pentax, I would not rule out going the SLT route for K like Sony,..

Last edited by Noam; 09-18-2011 at 12:19 AM.
09-18-2011, 12:14 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So another mirrorless is on its way- great. Hope that this doesn't take away R&D from the K lineup.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-18-2011, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

While I like my K-5 (and all bodies before that) I honestly believe that mirrorless is the way to go, especially when done right. In theory, a mirrorless K-mount camera could be easier to produce and deliver better results because there will be a lot less variables for the AF system (Phase detect AF is a proven, but old system). I would not mind my K-5 having no mirror at all, if the AF speed is equal to or better than the K-5, and the LCD viewfinder is fast enough to cope with fast subjects. I've said it before: who would have objections against a system with a true WYSIWYG viewfinder? (And no, a camera with a ground glass screen is definitely not WYSIWYG).

Come on Ricoh, give us our K-mount mirrorless and grow into a market leader again!
09-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

To me, this sounds like an admission that the GR and/or GXR systems were not getting the job done in terms of sales. While i agree that that GXR is an interesting modular approach, in terms of cost, it isn't very attractive to me. Too much money would need to be expended and the result would only be a manual usage of pentax pancake lenses.

Potentially, this is good news for Pentax system owners like myself. Any such new mirrorless system is bound to have some legacy approach, i.e. an ability to use the older lenses. If for no other reason than to induce an existing population of owners to buy into the new system. This community of owners is something that the gxr did not have.
09-18-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm... "will develop" is actually a little disappointing for those of us that were hoping for a large sensor pentax milc already this fall.

09-18-2011, 01:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
While I like my K-5 (and all bodies before that) I honestly believe that mirrorless is the way to go, especially when done right. In theory, a mirrorless K-mount camera could be easier to produce and deliver better results because there will be a lot less variables for the AF system (Phase detect AF is a proven, but old system). I would not mind my K-5 having no mirror at all, if the AF speed is equal to or better than the K-5, and the LCD viewfinder is fast enough to cope with fast subjects. I've said it before: who would have objections against a system with a true WYSIWYG viewfinder? (And no, a camera with a ground glass screen is definitely not WYSIWYG).

Come on Ricoh, give us our K-mount mirrorless and grow into a market leader again!
The lcd is nice for landscaping but for wildlife/birding a rather have it the old fasioned way.

p.s. you should edit your sig
09-18-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sound's like good news to me, a Pentax K-mount milc has the potential capture the market with its already excellent line of compact Limited lenses.
09-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
The lcd is nice for landscaping but for wildlife/birding a rather have it the old fasioned way.
You're right, but technology should evolve. After all, dedicated video cameras can do it, so I see no reason for still cameras to not have the same fast electronic viewfinder. Especially when combined with a sensor that does not need a mechanical shutter.

QuoteQuote:
p.s. you should edit your sig
I lack the time
09-18-2011, 02:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Mirrorless that accepts the DA 40mm? Cannot say am averse to the pocketable notion.
09-18-2011, 02:30 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to say that I was a little suspicious of the wording of this article, because of the amateurish use of language, mainly: "making out-of-focus areas in a shot much more blurry," but perhaps this is the result of unfamiliar translation.

However, an un-quoted paragraph - omitted by the OP - perhaps holds some some greater interest for many of us:
"Ricoh will offer characteristic compact cameras under its own label, while trying to bring the Pentax brand on par with Nikon Corp. and Canon Inc. in interchangeable-lens cameras, Ricoh President Shiro Kondo said."

"Bringing on par", if, again, we can believe the translation, could mean several things, such as matching the quality of the other manufacturers (I don't believe there's much, if anything, in that), matching the features offered by the others (ditto), matching the range of lenses offered for the existing camera model range, or matching the full extent of the range of cameras offered. I'm sure I don't need to expand on that last one for a lot of people who follow this Forum.

Caveats apply, as I have said, but it will be interesting to see how this develops.
09-18-2011, 02:34 AM   #13
Pentaxian

"Ricoh will offer characteristic compact cameras under its own label, while trying to bring the Pentax brand on par with Nikon Corp. and Canon Inc. in interchangeable-lens cameras, Ricoh President Shiro Kondo said."

If this quote is genuine, then that's a very important one! And a very reassuring one at that. Hoya never said anything along the same lines.
09-18-2011, 02:35 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
You're right, but technology should evolve. After all, dedicated video cameras can do it, so I see no reason for still cameras to not have the same fast electronic viewfinder. Especially when combined with a sensor that does not need a mechanical shutter.
Agree, but only if i don't have to use it like a P&S. Holding it in front of me so that i can see what i'm doing
09-18-2011, 02:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
Agree, but only if i don't have to use it like a P&S. Holding it in front of me so that i can see what i'm doing
For any (semi-) professional camera an eyelevel viewfinder (shielded from stray light) is indeed a must. It also should have enough resolution to be usable. It would also be great for manual focus, especially if the image can easily be enlarged for critical focusing,