Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 25 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
The new 5N with optional XGA OLED Tru-Finder is better than DSLRs in the same price class IMHO.
Except for all the clicking

But seriously, when you configure a rig like that, with an external viewfinder up top and a hueg lens out front, you may as well just go with a compact regular DSLR - like a Pentax.

09-18-2011, 06:57 AM   #32
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
+1!

I've tried both MILC and EVF. Both aren't the real image. They lag behind reality. And the resolution is always less then the real image through an OVF, no matter how many pixels they every get.

MILCS and EVF's are just marketing, just like liveview. Who really uses THAT?
The Sony OLED Viewfinder is unlike any EVF on the market and reviews so far say it looks just like an OVF with no lag.
09-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
From the responses I read, no one seems overly worried about not being able to use our K mount lenses. I chose Pentax over other systems when I decided to get into digital photography precisely because of their commitment to keep new systems compatible with their older lenses. Since lens quality is a high priority for me, I invested a lot in quality lenses hoping they would serve me the rest of my life. I think if I had to start all over again I might give up.
09-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Sony OLED Viewfinder is unlike any EVF on the market and reviews so far say it looks just like an OVF with no lag.
Yeah... Have you seen it? Did you actually look at it yourself?

09-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #35
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
From the responses I read, no one seems overly worried about not being able to use our K mount lenses. I chose Pentax over other systems when I decided to get into digital photography precisely because of their commitment to keep new systems compatible with their older lenses. Since lens quality is a high priority for me, I invested a lot in quality lenses hoping they would serve me the rest of my life. I think if I had to start all over again I might give up.
I am. See my post above
(with an idea how to keep the MILC K-compatible without a cumbersome adapter AND make it compact at the same time).

Regarding the EVF lag - that's obviously something that can be improved to the point of no discernible lag. The LV lag on my K-7 is horrible. The lag on my cousin's GH1 (mind you, one of the earlier MILCs) is MUCH shorter and certainly bearable. I'm sure in one or two generations the lag problem will be history. It's just processing/communication speed.
09-18-2011, 08:16 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OMG, it's the end of photography as we know it!
09-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #37
Forum Member

Does this mean we won't be hearing "what's a Pentax?" as much in the future?

09-18-2011, 08:59 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some comments on some comments:

* I only quoted an excerpt, to entice y'all to READ THE WHOLE THANG!
* "A new mirrorless camera will be developed..." doesn't preclude GXR mountors.
* It also doesn't preclude bodies with existing mounts and adapters.
* I'll forgive the article's translation clumsiness. I've seen worse.
* Ricoh seems to clearly consider cameras an important business.
* I interpret "being on par" as "Ricoh will eat Canon's lunch".
* Photography is in a transformative era. Expect surprising news.
09-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Some comments on some comments:

* I only quoted an excerpt, to entice y'all to READ THE WHOLE THANG!
* "A new mirrorless camera will be developed..." doesn't preclude GXR mountors.
* It also doesn't preclude bodies with existing mounts and adapters.
* I'll forgive the article's translation clumsiness. I've seen worse.
* Ricoh seems to clearly consider cameras an important business.
* I interpret "being on par" as "Ricoh will eat Canon's lunch".
* Photography is in a transformative era. Expect surprising news.
Indeed, other than what I mentioned, I thought the news was fantastic, especially that Ricoh will, as you say, "clearly consider cameras an important business" . . . and aims to be on a par (surpass?) with Canon and Nikon.
09-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #40
Pentaxian

In any case, this announcement is a good thing, so close from the definitive transaction, october the 1st. It gives some promising perspectives for Pentax.
Let' hope RICOH will put enough R&D money i.o. to really be able to make Pentax compete with CaSoNikon, and that this will hapen with no consecutive end to the current mainstream Pentax products, i.e. K and 645 mounts.
09-18-2011, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

I had this friend when I was living in Boston who had a large collection of LP's. One day he goes to this audio store in Cambridge and asked for a replacement cartridge. The salesman said: "They are right on the wall by the buggy whips."

Sure you can still get a turntable and vinyl records. And as somewhat of a stereophile, I will be the first to admit that vinyl records when played on a true high fidelity system (and I'm not talking Yahama) sound great.

I think 5 years from now OVF will be in about the same category. You'll see them on expensive cameras, but doubtful on a $1500 camera. It is what is. Somehow I just can't see it as as the end of the world. Good photographers work with the camera they have.

That said yep, they probably aren't good for birding. But I don't think many camera companies would stay in business making sub $1500 cameras for birders.
09-18-2011, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You cannot have k-mount mirrorless in a smaller body than a K-r. The k-mount is an SLR mount. The option exists for an adapter, but it will add substantial bulk and cost.

This is an announcement of a new mount.
09-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Look into any DSLR viewfinder in video mode and tell me what you see.
Exactly the same lag, of course. Which is why I want both not evf only. Evf adds value IMO,it IS useful but so is ovf. That's why I want an hybrid viewfinder in a Dslr like an EosRT. You get both, no compromise.
09-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #44
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
You cannot have k-mount mirrorless in a smaller body than a K-r. The k-mount is an SLR mount. The option exists for an adapter, but it will add substantial bulk and cost.

This is an announcement of a new mount.
Why not? The main size advantage of a mirrorless camera is the reduction of sensor-to-mount depth (and consequent potential reduction in lens size), not so much the mount diameter.

Hence my suggestion: It can be collapsible - allowing for two different sensor-to-mount distances - one for new MIRC-exclusive lenses and one for legacy K-mount lenses (although this is just a wild thought. Probably you're right and they won't do this).
09-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You want to mount a DA*300/2.8 on a collapsible mount?