09-21-2011, 09:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
.... yes, but do they have a toy lens?

09-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They definitely took a page from the Book of Pentax, it even comes in colors.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 09-21-2011 at 09:35 PM.
09-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

That new sensor-based phase-detect puts this in a different category than the Q. Supposedly faster AF-lock than the D3s, tracking well beyond any mirrorless or contrast-detect has ever been able to achieve - if we are to believe Nikon (and I do.)

The body is ugly, but what's under the hood is pretty interesting.

09-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Be interesting to see test photos and how it compares to both the Q and micro four-thirds. If the image files are good, this could be compelling.
09-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

From the dpr article: Nikon R&D General Manager: 'Mr Suzuki explains that both models are aimed at compact camera upgraders'. 'Nikon says that its customer surveys worldwide reveal that such users value small size, ease of use, and operational speed as much as outright image quality - and the 1 system aims to strike a specific balance between these demands.'

So the design priorities - small, easy, fast, and with IQ that only needs to be OK - mean there seems nothing interesting with these cameras, especially with their clear limitations - eg no hotshoe, and their high price - compared to even the Q.
09-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

That new sensor-based phase-detect puts this in a different category than the Q. Supposedly faster AF-lock than the D3s, tracking well beyond any mirrorless or contrast-detect has ever been able to achieve - if we are to believe Nikon (and I do.)

The body is ugly, but what's under the hood is pretty interesting.

I am not sure we can believe Nikon, the last announced Ricoh GR Digital IV has such an hybrid AF.
http://www.dpreview.com/products/ricoh/compacts/ricoh_grdigital4

Otherwise, concerning the J and V models, i have quite a few critics regarding ergonomy and choices that were made on these models :
- lack of any decent grip
- lack of true flash / accessory plug
- oversized (same as NEX 5)
- lack of basic dial-button (only one to select main modes)
- 10 Mpix very low resolution
- zoom lenses far too voluminous

I guess all this can be easily improved in the future... in particular could they develop other pancakes in addition to the 10mm.

Also, i wonder if Nikon didn't "rename" this system at the last minute, after Pentax did break the market with its own Q : the first leaks were referring to an other Q system by Nikon. But this is just speculation...

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-21-2011 at 11:41 PM.
09-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Phase detect AF without mirror is another stab in the heart of Sony residual "reflex" marketshare... who will want a mirror that eats light and dirt up easily, when you don't need it?
09-22-2011, 12:06 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Yes, but i think there is a way btw now, and such technology being put into larger sensor DSLR...
09-22-2011, 02:06 AM   #10
Inactive Account

IMHO, the body design & color looks really fascinating to me. Compared with the Q, I'm gonna go with Nikon by merely judging from the physical form.

However, I really like to see the JPEG comparison before making my final decision about which compact mirrorles I'm gonna buy.
09-22-2011, 02:14 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bossy Quote
IMHO, the body design & color looks really fascinating to me. Compared with the Q, I'm gonna go with Nikon by merely judging from the physical form.

However, I really like to see the JPEG comparison before making my final decision about which compact mirrorles I'm gonna buy.
You seem to be exactly in the target of this kind of product !
09-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #12
Banned

The thing I like a lot is the little flash.

I think when it is a little more powered up that such a device would be great to replace our on-camera flash on a K-5 successor!
09-22-2011, 06:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
The thing I like a lot is the little flash.
!
Yes. The flash caught my eye as well. Bounce capability at this price point is a good thing.
09-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
Be interesting to see test photos and how it compares to both the Q and micro four-thirds. If the image files are good, this could be compelling.
Here you are: Nikon J1 real-world samples gallery: Digital Photography Review

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-22-2011 at 07:22 AM.
09-22-2011, 07:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
Phase detect AF without mirror is another stab in the heart of Sony residual "reflex" marketshare... who will want a mirror that eats light and dirt up easily, when you don't need it?
Sony seem to master this technology too:

sonyalpharumors | Blog | (SR5) New Sony patent shows phase detection integrated on the image sensor.

sonyalpharumors | Blog | Sony discloses a camera with on sensor phase detecion.

sonyalpharumors | Blog | New patent discoloses a new Sony sensor with "on board" phase detection.
Closed Thread