Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #151
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
Am I the only one reading this combination oddly?
Hoya: HOYA CORPORATION|News Release

Ricoh/Pentax:
Ricoh Establishes PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. / News Release | Ricoh Global

I couldn't image Ricoh continuing DSLRs and not lenses for them, but meanwhile why would Hoya mention lenses for digital cameras? ???
I read those. It claims the new PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY has "Capital: 100 million yen". They must be kidding right? Pentax is only worth one million US dollars? If that's the case I will buy it myself one day...

10-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by feishui Quote
I read those. It claims the new PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY has "Capital: 100 million yen". They must be kidding right? Pentax is only worth one million US dollars? If that's the case I will buy it myself one day...
"Capital" in a financial sense has little to do with how much a company is "worth". You can think of it as the operating funds (i.e. "cash") the company has obtained from funding sources (e.g. investments, loans, etc).

There would be virtually no capital because Hoya was their direct source of funding (not independent investors/lenders), and they have nothing to do with the camera division anymore. The capital Pentax has is likely just a small amount left for them to continue operating during the few days of transition while the finances are sorted out with Ricoh.

Last edited by Cannikin; 10-03-2011 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Corrections
10-03-2011, 02:08 AM   #153
Banned

Photos: Gallery
My first thought was also: really? But then again, this is a company with no depts, so it is not funded with loans, as is normal these days. Everything is payd.

I wonder if the Ricoh camera division will be put together with this new company?
10-03-2011, 02:46 AM   #154
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
"Capital" in a financial sense has nothing to do with how much a company is "worth". You can think of it as the operating funds (i.e. "cash") the company has obtained from funding sources (e.g. investments, loans, etc).

There would be virtually no capital because Hoya was their direct source of funding (not independent investors/lenders), and they have nothing to do with the camera division anymore. The capital Pentax has is likely just a small amount left for them to continue operating during the few days of transition while the finances are sorted out with Ricoh.
yes...capital of my company (when I had founded it) was USD300.
but my company is small...although money turnover was alsmost 2 millions dollars in the best years...

10-03-2011, 03:13 AM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I read those. It claims the new PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY has "Capital: 100 million yen".
In Australia it is called "Paid up Capital". There are many companies with a paid up capital of $1.00 with lots of assets turning over millions.

Greetings
10-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
In Australia it is called "Paid up Capital". There are many companies with a paid up capital of $1.00 with lots of assets turning over millions.

Greetings
It's the same in Japan. Every Japanese incorporated company has to make public a statement about the paid-in capital. That $1M likely means when the incorporated company was set up its creators put $1M into a bank account. Or possibly pulled a stunt likely transferring in $1M in unrealized obligations to a shareholder, etc.
10-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #157
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I hope that next week's accouncement isn't limited to "oh look, we merged".
And after all this excitement...that's what it was

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-03-2011, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #158
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have been very surprised (delighted, but surprised) if there was anything announced beyond the official "the deal is complete" kind of thing.

Everyone on this forum, waiting with bated breath for some hint of a new camera, is a camera (and Pentax) enthusiast. Ricoh, and the people running it are business people. There was and is no logical business reason to make any kind of announcement through the general or business media. There might be some reason to announce something at the upcoming Paris show, but even then not much of a business reason.

Some might say they should announce something to rally the customer base. Well, they can do that anytime and still rally the customer base and waiting until they have everything organized is a much better plan. Ricoh is not going to make much headway at positioning Pentax against Canikon by selling to the existing base, they need to attract lots of new customers. Which means announcing something in the general media is a waste of time and possibly counter-productive. The worst thing I can think of would be a premature announcement of a product that never materializes or is even a little late to market.

Ricoh needs to re-establish the dealer and support network, repair relationships with retailers and generally re-build the marketing infrastructure that was largely dismantled under previous ownership. None of that is glamorous or exciting to camera enthusiasts. There is an old military saying "Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics". Ricoh understands logistics, relationships, dealer networks and support, their copier division regularly eats Canon's lunch because they have feet on the ground who know what they are doing. Once they have that in place for the camera division I believe we will see some really cool products.
10-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #159
Veteran Member

I still expect an eyeball-grabbing announcement soon. I don't expect Santa Claus. We shall see.
10-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #160
Site Supporter

Well, it appears that Pentax Ricoh got the Philippines factory and Vietnam factory in the deal as well as all the marketing related companies in U.S.A etc. The odd part is no mention of a Japanese entity. I guess that may be implied.

Pentax Imaging is now PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION

QuoteQuote:
PENTAX ANNOUNCES NEW COMPANY NAME

PENTAX Imaging Company, A Division of PENTAX of America Inc., has begun its business organization transition process. The new company name will be PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION. All operations, as well as partnership relations, will remain unchanged.

PENTAX RICOH IMAGING inherits the development functions of cameras and lenses, production facilities, legal properties, as well as worldwide distribution channels from its former business structure.

We at PENTAX RICOH IMAGING will further strive to promote the digital camera business under the long thriving PENTAX brand, and establish it to be a leading company, with its unique path, ranking with other competitive top tier brands.

We sincerely appreciate your continued patronage as a customer, and support as a partner or dealer, in our exciting new endeavors.
http://www.pentaximaging.com/about-us.aspx?p=press
10-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The odd part is no mention of a Japanese entity.
What do you mean? The Japanese entity is the company itself:
QuoteQuote:
New Company

Company name:

PENTAX RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.
宾得理光映像有限公司 (in Chinese)
Business: Manufacture and sales of optical equipment such as digital cameras, binoculars and lenses for security cameras
President & Representative Director: Zenji Miura (Representative Director, Deputy President, Ricoh Company, Ltd. )
Head office: 2-35-7, Maeno-cho, Itabashi-ku, Tokyo
Established: October 1, 2011
Capital: 100 million yen
Number of employees: Approx.1900
10-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #162
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What do you mean? The Japanese entity is the company itself:
Why did you only quote one sentence? By leaving out
QuoteQuote:
I guess that may be implied.
, you took me out of context. However, this is what I mean:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Imaging Corporation's subsidiaries shown below have been transferred to the new company as of October 1, 2011.
Nothing from Japan in that list. Given the AIV designation on the lenses, the parts were in theory coming from Japan.

QuoteQuote:
Name of subsidiary Location PENTAX RICOH IMAGING PRODUCTS (Vietnam) CO., LTD. Vietnam, Hanoi PENTAX RICOH IMAGING PRODUCTS (Philippines) CORPORATION The Philippines, Cebu PENTAX RICOH IMAGING EUROPE n.v. Belgium, Zaventem PENTAX RICOH IMAGING FRANCE S.A.S France, Argenteuil PENTAX RICOH IMAGING UK LTD. The United Kingdom, Slough PENTAX RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH Germany, Hamburg PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION The United States, Denver PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CANADA INC. Canada, Mississauga PENTAX RICOH IMAGING CHINA CO., LTD. China, Shanghai

October 1, 2011
Ricoh Company, Ltd
And duh, yes I know Ricoh is a Japanese Company.

sarcasm
10-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #163
Pentaxian

No, it's not implied but clearly written in the press release I was talking about Pentax Ricoh Imaging Corporation, by the way, not about Ricoh.
The Mashiko factory was closed some time ago; was there any Japanese subsidiary left? Parts could come from suppliers all over the world.
10-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #164
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
No, it's not implied but clearly written in the press release I was talking about Pentax Ricoh Imaging Corporation, by the way, not about Ricoh.
The Mashiko factory was closed some time ago; was there any Japanese subsidiary left? Parts could come from suppliers all over the world.
Actually, it is NOT clearly written in the release. The subsidiaries abroad are clearly listed, anything else is implied. I am referring to the sourcing of SMC coated elements, Ghostless Coating etc. etc. etc. Given they great pains Pentax as well as Hoya to use the AIV, I would expect to see some mention of these things in that list. Furthermore, I know the Mashiko factory isn't on the list.

Edit: Plus, complicated repairs were sent to Japan.

Edit: Edit: To be clear, I am curious about the details on the glass, SMC, Ghostless, SP and Aero Bright Coatings. There may be an arrangement with Hoya.

Last edited by Blue; 10-03-2011 at 03:46 PM.
10-03-2011, 10:26 PM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I would have been very surprised (delighted, but surprised) if there was anything announced beyond the official "the deal is complete" kind of thing.

Everyone on this forum, waiting with bated breath for some hint of a new camera, is a camera (and Pentax) enthusiast. Ricoh, and the people running it are business people. There was and is no logical business reason to make any kind of announcement through the general or business media. There might be some reason to announce something at the upcoming Paris show, but even then not much of a business reason.

Some might say they should announce something to rally the customer base. Well, they can do that anytime and still rally the customer base and waiting until they have everything organized is a much better plan. Ricoh is not going to make much headway at positioning Pentax against Canikon by selling to the existing base, they need to attract lots of new customers. Which means announcing something in the general media is a waste of time and possibly counter-productive. The worst thing I can think of would be a premature announcement of a product that never materializes or is even a little late to market.

Ricoh needs to re-establish the dealer and support network, repair relationships with retailers and generally re-build the marketing infrastructure that was largely dismantled under previous ownership. None of that is glamorous or exciting to camera enthusiasts. There is an old military saying "Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics". Ricoh understands logistics, relationships, dealer networks and support, their copier division regularly eats Canon's lunch because they have feet on the ground who know what they are doing. Once they have that in place for the camera division I believe we will see some really cool products.
Let me approve 100% of your thoughts above.